TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Kataklysm vs Dez Fafara

From bwbk.com

KATAKLYSM vocalist Maurizio Iacono has contacted BW&BK with a response to comments made by DEVILDRIVER’s Dez Fafara suggesting Maurizio “shut the fuck up and take a listen to DevilDriver” before commenting on the group.

This back and forth business stems from Maurizio’s disappointment over DevilDriver being chosen over Kataklysm to support OPETH on their North American tour.

A direct quote from Maurizio at that time stated, “Today is a sad day not only for Kataklysm, but for real metal in general... no disrespect intended towards Devildriver ‘coz I dont even know the guys personally except for the fact that there’s an ex-Coal Chamber member... what I'm saying is shit happens, we lost the tour... so what, business is business... but to lose it to a band that comes from the Nu-metal era is what I dont get, that style is dead and now they are trying to make themselves look real by getting on real metal tours. If Opeth, Kataklysm and Moonspell would be on a Nu-metal tour we would all get tomatoes thrown at us, but we as real metalheads have to sit back and accept shit like this happening to our scene... anyways politics right?”

Fafara’s rebuttal included the following statement: “I bought their new album, it's great. I've never met the guys so for him to take shots at me, maybe he hasn't heard DevilDriver... We wish they were on this tour with us, but when he starts calling me nu-metal and this and that, he should shut the fuck up and take a listen to DevilDriver.”

The following is Maurizio’s latest comments on the matter: “First off, how can you have bought my new album when it only comes out in March? Anyways, I find it weird for someone to realise after 8 years of playing Nu metal with Coal Chamber that he hates everything he ever was during that time... it took you a damn long time to realise it, I guess its never too late.

Where i come from (the underground) touring is not about money to support your family, you just didn’t get my point... so your wrong about my so called bitterness towards that situation. Yes, it’s an OK sideline of course but you do it because you love it and because its what you believe in. So you didn’t get it right or your in it for the wrong reasons.

With this said... I have a proposal for you, Kataklysm is presently working on a headlining tour with Misery Index and All That Remains for May. There’s still a spot available, put your money where your mouth is and join the tour, lets see if you can handle a true underground tour... but warning: this aint Sevendust so bring a helmet! Maurizio.”

---

If Dez were to take this tour, I got my money on him lasting 2.5 shows. Kataklysm fucking rules it.

I saw Kataklysm live, and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't like they were a bad band or anything, just not special. I heard a couple of songs from Devildriver and I was really suprised with them. They weren't all that bad, but they sounded like "My First Death Metal" music.

Still, I think that Kataklysm would have been a much better choice for the Opeth tour. The crowds at these shows are going to suck with all the nu-metal kids who are going there because Dez used to be in Coal Chamber. The Opeth crowd is too sophisticated for them.

Guest Ghettoman

Hahahaha, nothing funnier than two idiot bands fighting over who's more metal....

Devildriver isn't BAD....but it just sounds like Nu Metal with growlier vocals.

Kataklysm would've definitely been the better band to take out with Opeth.

Opeth shouldn't be surprised to see a good chunk of the crowd to leave when they launch into their 10+ minute opuses.

Guest Ghettoman

Any band currently in a fued with another band over who's more metal = an idiot band.

"I thought Coal Chamber was one of those old metal bands, around before nu-metal got started? Eh"

Coal Chamber's first album came out right before the 1st touring ozzfest in 1997(as in the second one because the first one was limited to a few shows out west..i think they played some of those shows but dont remember for sure cause i was not there)

they were managed by sharon osbourne and played the second stage on that 1st touring ozzfest..most of the stuff was so korn-ish they were dubbed Korn chamber

they had a nice little following and people were into them live they also did a tour i saw them on with (coincidentally from kataklysm's comments) Sevendust and (former boston hometown boys) powerman 5000..there were just kind of "there" cause their sound was aped heavily yet no so offensive as say the vanilla ice korn album

their last tour for the 1st album was on the main stage at ozzfest 98 (with sevendust, tool, bizkit, megadeth, soulfly) and let's just say their sound and delivery on that tour on the big stage made the previous year on the small stage and their club shows sound like mozart..brutally bad

dez got so offended by the korn comparisons the band radically tried to alter its sound on Chamber Music the second album and between the alterations, the delays in releasing it and the horrid horrid cover of "Shock the Monkey" with sugar daddy Ozzy made that album D.O.A.

they split with sharon as manage after that (which good or bad in motives killed them even further) released a third album (that actually sounded like their best work when i took a sampling) that bombed worse and a "rarities" which unfortunatley if you dont make the cut on the 1st two coal chamber albums thats the crap of the crap right there

then he started Devildriver..to his credit he hass always been a fan of "true" heavier metal he has always talked about it in interviews since the beginning but he should not try to act like CC didnt happen

especially after his many comments that CC was "forever" and his tatoos of the (awful looking IMO) logo

so anyway, yes CC was "nu-metal" and kind of had the "honor" of being the first clone band because if you count a Korn as the daddies (and FNM for example as a grandfather) and deftones and limp bizkit as the first few bands (who, like them or not, at least added something different)

and this is just about the most words you'll ever see dedicated to Coal Chamber outside of like their site or a dedicated site..which is too say it's far too many words lol