TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caboose

Ted Dibiase

I aologise if I'm missing something obvious, but was there a particular reason why Ted Dibiase was never crowned WWF World Champion. Being as hated as he was, surely Dibiase would have drawn like crazy, if Hogan was put in chase of him as an evil Millionaire Champion heading to a WrestleMania?

He had a shot during the World Title Tournament at Wrestlemania IV, but got screwed out of it due to politics. Randy Savage was supposed to get the IC title, but instead gave it to Honky Tonk Man, so they gave Savage the win to make him happy, thus screwing over Dibiase. Not sure for other times tho.

Guest Dynamite Kido
He had a shot during the World Title Tournament at Wrestlemania IV, but got screwed out of it due to politics. Randy Savage was supposed to get the IC title, but instead gave it to Honky Tonk Man, so they gave Savage the win to make him happy, thus screwing over Dibiase. Not sure for other times tho.

So I guess we can all thank HOGAN for that.

Guest DeputyHawk

From what I remember, original booking stated DiBiase to win the title tournament at WM4 then lose to Savage at SummerSlam 88, Savage going on to hold the belt until doing the MegaPowers Meltdown as was and dropping it back to Hogan at WM5.

But then Honky pulled a powerplay and threatened to walk to the NWA with the I-C title just before the Main Event TV match against Savage in Feb 88 which he was scheduled to lose. Honky got appeased and got to keep his belt, Savage got appeased and got a longer World titlen reign than planned, and DiBiase got screwed out of the belt in the midst of it all.

Not sure where Hogan's connection is in all this, wasn't he away filming No Holds Barred?

Guest Dynamite Kido
From what I remember, original booking stated DiBiase to win the title tournament at WM4 then lose to Savage at SummerSlam 88, Savage going on to hold the belt until doing the MegaPowers Meltdown as was and dropping it back to Hogan at WM5.

But then Honky pulled a powerplay and threatened to walk to the NWA with the I-C title just before the Main Event TV match against Savage in Feb 88 which he was scheduled to lose. Honky got appeased and got to keep his belt, Savage got appeased and got a longer World titlen reign than planned, and DiBiase got screwed out of the belt in the midst of it all.

Not sure where Hogan's connection is in all this, wasn't he away filming No Holds Barred?

Hogan's connection is that Honky didn't have to drop the IC title, because of his political buddy in Hogan. He was asked to drop the IC belt back to Savage and refused. Savage also said that if the match happens between him and HTM then fine, but he would shoot on HTM. Vince then said just do the match, don't shoot on HTM and we will give you the World title instead.

The Torch ran one of those "viewer mail" columns the other day and said the long believed 'Honky pulls power play' isn't true, and that HTM was never in any power, no threatend, to leave. Keller went on to say everybody's surprised Vince didn't change the WM IV finish even though some magazine said Savage was going to win the title at WM.

Check the Torch site, it's there somewhere.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Dibiase was also in line for NWA title wins over Flair and Race in the early 80's, but he was sidetracked then too

Guest FrigidSoul

Back then the WWF title was used to really put somebody over, Ted Dibiase was so over however that they felt he didn't need it. That's another reason why they allowed him to have The Million Dollar Title.

Guest Choken One

I am still not sure who was more screwed by never getting a World Title

DiBiase or Piper...

Both were easily the biggest heels of the 80's...

Piper should at the very least had a short reign in WCW in 1997....

DiBiase is THE person who really should have been World Champion.

Ted DiBiase practically had it all. He was a very good worker, had killer mic skills, tons of charisma and finally, a gimmick that would have drawn a shit load of money.

No one's ever had this many tools and been denied the World Title more.

Dames

That's the difference between the traditional WWF formula and what the WWE does today. The WWF had its best runs with face champions (with Hogan and Austin being the most obvious examples), whereas now they've got this idea that all the faces chasing a heel champion draws better (completely ignoring what got them to the top of the industry in the first place).

If the mid/late 80s WWF roster was around today, Piper and DiBiase would both enjoy long world title reigns.

Guest Your Olympic Hero
Back then the WWF title was used to really put somebody over, Ted Dibiase was so over however that they felt he didn't need it. That's another reason why they allowed him to have The Million Dollar Title.

Hogan was INSANELY over the whole time, and losing the belt probably wouldn't have hurt it that much. So if the belt is used to really put someone over, why did he keep it for 4 years and not even lose it cleanly, when he was obviously already over?

Guest Your Olympic Hero
Would Earthquake be Brock Lesnar?

*mental image of Brock Lesnar doing Earthquake's sit down splash finisher*

Hahahaha.