TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

Bonnaroo 04

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Mole my good man, I assure you that a "wasted trip" was the LAST thing my time there was.

I'd already seen Primus twice, and none of the Headliners really interest me, so I went for a couple supporting bands, as an excuse to get out of town, and the hallucinogenics.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I would have loved to have seen Dylan, but I was still WAITING IN LINE TO GET IN while he was playing.

The traffic was an atrocity on the interstate.

I'm so fucking stoked about Glastonbury now, it's still sinking in that all of us got tickets and they're real. Tindersticks, Morrissey, Love, Television, The Rutles, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Plaid, The Stranglers, James Brown, British Sea Power etc. Come to think of it, there's more decent stuff there than I thought. And again, even if you hate all the bands, it's the best place on earth. And I can take my revision guide for when franz ferdinand are on. Come back monday afternoon, sleep, cram all day tues, exam wed morning. Should be OK.

Guest Quik

My friends went. Thye said it was 3 days of Pot, Opium, Various forms of hash, Nitrous, and mushrooms.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, there was a lot of Opium there. That surprised me.

As for that Glastonbury show...Aphex Twin and James Brown? I'd go, but I'm a yank.

Yeah, there was a lot of Opium there. That surprised me.

As for that Glastonbury show...Aphex Twin and James Brown? I'd go, but I'm a yank.

Who knows, could be the surprise duet of the weekend...

Ha. I knew you were going to get fucked on the traffic, AoO. I arrived on Wednesday night, camped in the Wal-Mart parking lot with about 200 other hippies, and got into Bonnaroo at 8 p.m. that night.

I don't fucking remember Thursday. The drugs were everywhere, an abundance of opium, good mushrooms & nitrous. The marijuana flowed like wine. I didn't even buy any, because everyone camping around me was kind enough to distribute the shit. Same with beer.

Friday was all right. Bob Dylan was awful, a complete disappointment for me. I was expecting to see Dylan up there with his guitar, revisiting his 60's protest songs, but instead, I get Dylan sitting at the keyboards and doing half-assed versions of his later stuff. Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud was fantastic. I enjoyed their stuff more then the Black Crows material. I met a girl around 8, and missed Dave Matthews and Praxis because of said girl, which was a mistake in hindsight. Praxis held a great set.

Gov't Mules set was fucking sick, with covers of No Quarter, a Ray Charles song, and a great blend of Princes When Doves Cry, and Haynes own Beautifully Broken. Doc Watson was magnificant, as always.

The highlight of the festival for me was Medeski, Martin & Wood, which pulled off a great set before the rains came pouring down.

Which gets me to the big issue; the fucking mud. Such a pain in the ass. It was halfway up to my knees at times. I swear on Sunday night, a fucking river had appeared between the main stage and Centeroo, which I dubbed "the river Shytz", for it's proximity to a line of Port-A-Johns. I nearly lost my sandals five or six times.

I actually got stuck in that shit Monday morning, on the way out. I had packed up the previous night, missing most of Trey Anastasio's set to do so. I slept in my car, awaken only briefly by the loudest fucking fireworks display I've ever seen. I awoke at 7 a.m., drove onto a road that had only 5 other cars on it, and was well on my way to being out onto I-24 in 10 minutes. Then, I decided to stop like an asshole and say goodbye to some of the guys from my area who happened to be working at the event (they provided me with free "Outback Kate" food the entire weekend). So, I pulled over - right into a fucking horrendous mudhole. Instantly stuck.

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get myself free, all the while, the road behind me filled up with cars. I then decided that if I pushed the car, it would get it out. My body said bullshit. I popped my back as I was pushing, and could not fucking breath for 30 seconds. I'm still having problems with my back. I fucked it up but good. Finally, I had to pay some hick 25$ to pull me out with his tractor, and I caked the inside of the driver's seat with Tennessee mud, & a smell I may never pry out of that car.

All of this took only 35 minutes, but by then, the line to get out was horrendous. Once back on the road, I got maybe 30 feet in three hours. I finally made it out of there at 11:48 a.m. CST.

All in all, it was a great trip, but I'm not so sure I would pay the same amount next year, as my back account is flatlining even now.

Guest Quik

"All in all, it was a great trip, but I'm not so sure I would pay the same amount next year, as my back account is flatlining even now."

That's what stopped me from going. Between gas, tune-ups forthe car, tent, food, drugs, alcohol, tickets and more drugs, I would've been out more money than I could handle. I'm sure it's not that bad if you live near the area, but I'm in fucking Jersey.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Gov't Mules set was fucking sick, with covers of No Quarter

I listened to that, but wasn't there to watch it. Sounded really tight. We were sitting at a campsite getting rocked, and I was like "Hey, that's No Quarter," and everyone else stopped, and looked up and to the left or right, and was like "hey."

Guest krazykat72

"Friday was all right. Bob Dylan was awful, a complete disappointment for me. I was expecting to see Dylan up there with his guitar, revisiting his 60's protest songs, but instead, I get Dylan sitting at the keyboards and doing half-assed versions of his later stuff. Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud was fantastic. I enjoyed their stuff more then the Black Crows material. I met a girl around 8, and missed Dave Matthews and Praxis because of said girl, which was a mistake in hindsight. Praxis held a great set."

Dylan suffers from severe arthritis which makes it very difficult for him to play the guitar anymore for long periods. I saw him last summer, and while his voice is shot, he and his band were really good. He also has a tendency to totally rework his songs, so when I got 'Highway 61' and 'Just Like a Woman', it took a minute or two to recognize

-Paul Jacobi-