TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Zelda

Guest wildpegasus
Wind Waker was OK, but it was the weakest game in the series. And it was WAAAAY too easy. (Right up Sakura's alley :P)

I've heard before that they took out the last 2 dungeons so people wouldn't have too much difficulty with the game. Kind of makes your heart sink down into your stomach.

Zelda's great. It was the first adventure game I got into.

Zelda II was good, but I can at least understand why people didn't like it. It was radicaly different. Although I never beat it, I came soooo close but would get frustrated near the end.

And Link To The Past is just a classic. I think it's the very best of the series (haven't played Windwaker though). They did a great job moving it to the Super Nintendo.

What about Link's Awakening? I liked that a lot better than LTTP. It was fun how you could jump and combine items. And the story was really amazing for a zelda game.

Guest EQ

The story for Link's Awakening wasn't just impressive as a Zelda title, but as a Gameboy title as well.

As for Nintendo taking out the last 2 dungeons of Wind Waker to make it easier, I heard about this too. It seems really stupid to me, but I don't think it's any surprise that they were deliberately seeking out a younger audience with this title. Whether you like the graphical style or not, it *was* a ploy to get younger kids to play Zelda, I don't care whether Nintendo wants to admit it or not. They dumbed down the graphics, and the difficulty of the puzzles.

Hopefully the next Zelda game (which is following the same graphical style as Wind Waker, due out for Gamecube soon) will be a little longer and tougher.

What's the point of a game without challenge? If you're just looking for a good story, you'd be better served reading a book or watching a movie. Challenge is what gives a game replay value. What is there to anticipate when you already know you have a battle, level, or boss beaten beforehand?

The cool thing about cinematic games is that I'm CONTROLLING the movie. It's different, and a lot more exciting, than just watching a film.

A lot of the time difficulty will actually take replay value away. If something is overly hard there's a much less chance I'll want to play it again. Splinter Cell for Xbox was really hard and I only beat it once. The MGS games are uber easy and so I beat them over and over again.

It's true I know what's coming, but it doesn't really take away from the excitment. It's like how people can watch movies like Star Wars over and over. I can play something like RE or FF over and over and not get sick of it. I get into the story and the action even though I know what's going to happen.

Don't you like Mortal Kombat, one of the simplest fighting games ever?

Yeah, but even the simplest fighting game ever is more complex than most NES games.

I think I officially hate Sakura now. Prime example of the people I try to avoid when talking about videogames.

Why would you hate someone over what games they like?

I don't understand why so many here(and all over the net) are so hateful and negative about people that like my games.

If you don't mind me asking, what games are you playing? Maybe we canfind something that caters to your tastes. What do you think of theAtari 2600 and than the Commodore 64 era?

Fighting games, RPG, cinematic action games(MGS, Max Payne).

There are SOME Nes games I like. I really like the Megaman franchise.

I don't like the eras even older than NES either. I liked Atari 2600 when it was all me and my sister had, but not anymore.

Oh, as far as other Zeldas go, I like the modern ones. WW was good.

I don't have much to add at the moment, but I just wanted to make one thing clear. Sakura, although I do not agree with your views on certain things, I still respect your opinion. I'm not attempting to insult your tastes. I simply enjoy a good debate. I actually enjoy the couple Final Fantasy games I have played, and the Resident Evil series (since you mentioned it) is amongst my favorites. To be perfectly honest, an easy game- Zelda: Ocarina of Time- is my all-time favorite, although Skies of Arcadia is making a great run for that position the deeper I get into that game. Easy games can be fun. It's just that on the whole, I prefer to be challenged more. That, and I love the NES. Those are the main points where our tastes differ.

I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping, because I know some women that are almost as hardcore into gaming as my male gamer friends and I are, but most girls I've encountered who play video games are like you. They tend to play mostly RPGs (especially the love story driven Final Fantasy games and cutesy anime type ones) and other less than mature (but still very fun) games like Mario, Yoshi, and Zelda titles. A few are into puzzle games as well. Maybe it is a gender thing. Again, I don't want to stereotype, but that's just what I've observed. Then again, you have more Mortal Kombat games and know more about the series than anyone this side of Ed Boon and John Tobias, so that kind of fucks up my whole rationale.

I don't mean you. I don't care if you don't like my stuff. My problem is when people say ridiculous things like you're not "hardcore" or "dont count" depending on what you like(or don't like). It's not so bad here, but is really bad at other forums. Seems like I'm the only who likes FF VIII though, which is sad. :(

I've observed the same thing. My liking of MK doesn't really go against it, if you think about it. The reason I like MK is because it's simple(easy) and really flashy with a big mythology of backstory(cinematic).

I just beat the third dungeon in Zelda II.

Why are you playing Zelda 2 anyway, a game even most old school gamers hate?

I like it, but I know it takes a LOT of patience, and can be frustrating. Why don't you play Link's Awakening and then come back and tell us what you think of that?

"I just want to beat it to get it over with so I can say I've finished it."

I got it recently(with the new bonus disc) so I want to play through it. It bugs me to own games I haven't beaten. When I get done with this, I can move on to MM, which I'm actually looking forward to playing since I never got around to it and I like OOT and WW.

I have played Link's Awakening. I think its ok. Better than the NES games.

What's strange? I never played MM back when it was new because it was so close to N64's death.

I don't remember how far I was in LA.

Wanting to beat every single game including the ones that you can't stand. Heh. Just wait until you get to the last palace and find out that you can't go in because you're not on level 7 with everything. And then you have to spend days leveling up. I like the game and that even had me cursing it out.

Well go download a gameboy emu and play that Zelda. It's a million times better.

Well normally if I hate a game I trade it in and just get something else. In this case I don't want to get rid of it because it's part of a collection and I like OOT, Zelda 1 is okay, and I want to play MM. So having the disc and just not having beaten the Zelda II part of it would annoy me.

Ugh, the guy that is supposed to give me Reflect keeps sayingto come back when I'm ready.

I'm the same way as you, Sakura. I hate owning games and not beating them. However, seeing as how I got around 40 games when I replaced my NES a little over a year ago (most of which have no save feature) and I recently acquired over 20 games between Thanksgiving and mid-January, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

And speaking of games I own but have never beaten, Majora's Mask, while sharing the same engine as Ocarina of Time, is NOTHING like its predecessor. Most people either love it or hate it, and I fall into the "hating it" category. I don't know if it was because I was let down by expecting another Ocarina of Time (my favorite game ever) or because that was around the time I started losing interest in gaming temporarily, but I was really excited when I purchased MM on the day of its release- October 26th, 2000- and then I found myself disgusted with the game very quickly, even after playing it for a couple hours a day for a week or so.

Well, I still own the cartridge and I also have the game on my Zelda Collector's Disc... so maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

MM came out on my birthday.

I have like 4 adventure/RPGs I need to finish. It sucks, I feel like I have to rush through just to get them done.

Guest Ray

This was one of my favorite games when I was younger. It was so...epic. I liked it because it wasn't just a simple side-scroller like most of the games I had at the time. You had to find hidden things and use your brain a bit.

Haven't played it in years, although that old NES is around here somewhere...

MM came out on my birthday.

I have like 4 adventure/RPGs I need to finish. It sucks, I feel like I have to rush through just to get them done.

The only reason I remembered the release date was because the PS2 came out on the same day, and getting through the store was just insane.

I feel your pain once again as far as finishing the games goes. I'm still in the middle of Chrono Cross, but Skies of Arcadia has grabbed ahold of me and won't let go. I played it for 5 hours today. I don't remember the last time I played a game for that long in a single day. I also have started games on Sonic Heroes and Mario Sunshine, and then after that I have 6 other games I got a month ago and haven't even started, plus 10 more on top of those that I got 2-3 months ago and barely had time to play, plus the Zelda disc, plus probably 50 more games in my collection (quite literally- my collection's grown pretty large over the past 17 1/2 years) which I haven't finished completely... It's making my head spin. I guess that if there's one positive coming from not knowing many people yet out here in Cali and not having a job here, it's that I have all the time in the world to knock some games off that list. That is if Skies of Arcadia will allow it...

I really like the Megaman franchise.

I thought you said you like easy games? Sorry but I do not believe that you would find the megaman series easy to finish unless you've only played X and X4.

Just to clarify I'm not attacking you or anything, just curious as to why you like the megaman franchise despite it being quite notorious for being a difficult one.

I thought you said you like easy games? Sorry but I do not believe that you would find the megaman series easy to finish unless you've only played X and X4.

Just to clarify I'm not attacking you or anything, just curious as to why you like the megaman franchise despite it being quite notorious for being a difficult one.

I play classic and X series. I've beaten the 8 regular classics, MM&B, X1-7 and Xtreme 1. The only ones I find to be hard are MM1 and MM&B(and I can beat those, it's not like they're impossible).

The series being infamous for being hard is something I've never understood. I have never found them to be hard, even when I was younger. I don't think I'm all that good or anything, they're just easy. You've got infinite continues, the levels are pretty short, there's checkpoints, almost all the enemies have basic patterns and the bosses have their weaknesses. The X series is particularly easy with it's upgrades.

In fact them being so easy is a huge part of the reason I love them. It's fun to just play through them and fly through the levels then own the boss.

but it's still no Castlevania or Ghosts N Goblins.

Yeah, THOSE are hard. Too hard for me.

Guest PowerPB13

Fair warning...the final boss of Zelda 2 is THE HARDEST BOSS EVER. 'Nuff said.

I'm the type that has more of a love for the classic games(I still have my old NES) than the more current crop...mostly because I don't have the time to sit down and play one of the lengthier games any more. I can't tell you the amount of hours I killed on the SNES Final Fantasies.

Majora's Mask was frustrating as hell, what with having to keep track of what you had and hadn't done within each little "time frame". I finally completed it, but only with a LOT of help from online FAQs.

Link's Awakening, easily the most underrated Zelda game(probably just because it was on the Gameboy platform), very complex game for the portable system.

-Patrick

"The only hard MM game I've ever played was X3. And maybe the first one for game boy."

Megaman X6 is hard, but in a cheap way. I beat several of the regular stages and the bosses are a cinch (especially with Zero), but I simply can't stand the game. It isn't fun. Cheap traps, pits ahoy, and putting those retarded reploids in places where you have to die to rescue them? Making the upgrades necessary to advance? Plus the level where that thing in the background is shooting at you? It ticks me off. I could probably finish it if I really wanted, but I got rid it because I hated it so much. Plus, it was really pathetic how bad the animation was.

I heard the Xtreme games on Gameboy are hard as hell.

The NES games are quite hard. The later games in the NES series get easier, and from what I've played 7's not too hard, and Megaman 8's kinda average difficulty (haven't beaten it yet--still gotta storm Wily's fortress; collecting all the bolts then gonna shop for upgrades).

Back on topic, I got the Zelda collection disc. I've only played LTTP, OoT, WW and Oracle of Seasons before--which would you guys recommend I start with?

I didn't get into gaming until the bit days, so I dunno about the original LoZ--but I haven't played it yet...

I'm the type that has more of a love for the classic games(I still have my old NES) than the more current crop...mostly because I don't have the time to sit down and play one of the lengthier games any more. I can't tell you the amount of hours I killed on the SNES Final Fantasies.

I'd tend to agree, but I can still pull out the same games and play them again, enjoying them just as much. However, the new games...just hate 'em. I don't consider myself swayed too heavily by nostalgia, but I just can't stand most newer RPGs.

Back on topic, I got the Zelda collection disc.  I've only played LTTP, OoT, WW and Oracle of Seasons before--which would you guys recommend I start with? 

I didn't get into gaming until the bit days, so I dunno about the original LoZ--but I haven't played it yet...

*gasp* The original, of course. Then like I said to Sakura, get an emulator and download Link's Awakening. (why wasn't it in the collection?!)

Back on topic, I got the Zelda collection disc.  I've only played LTTP, OoT, WW and Oracle of Seasons before--which would you guys recommend I start with? 

*gasp* The original, of course. Then like I said to Sakura, get an emulator and download Link's Awakening. (why wasn't it in the collection?!)

Maybe they're planning to release a GBA upgrade to Link's Awakening?

After all, LTTP was left off the disc, because it had recently come out on GBA.

And Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of sorts...

Guest EQ

If they were to release every Zelda game up to (but not including) Wind Waker on one disc for Gamecube and charged 50 bucks for it, I'd buy it.

If they were to release every Zelda game up to (but not including) Wind Waker on one disc for Gamecube and charged 50 bucks for it, I'd buy it.

Supposedly there is another Zelda disc planned that has Four Swords on it...and maybe some of the Zelda titles this disc missed. Maybe they'll have LTTP, LA, and the Oracle titles on it.

I beat Zelda II. What a weak ending.

NES games usually didn't have epic endings. :P

A lot of the time difficulty will actually take replay value away. If something is overly hard there's a much less chance I'll want to play it again. Splinter Cell for Xbox was really hard and I only beat it once. The MGS games are uber easy and so I beat them over and over again.

Splinter Cell wasn't really that hard, unless one tries to go through the game Rambo style, which just dosen't work.

OT: I've always hated how people compare SC and MGS as being alike, despite Solid being able to carry like five hundred pounds of gear..(Real stealthy..)

*ahem* Back to the point.

There were a few tough points, like having to figure out the keypad codes on some levels, but the game just took a lot of caution, and common sense.

The Xbox version was also the hardest, as the PS2/GC versions were dumbed down (Less enemies, more health and ammo..more movies..) to appeal to those who don't really like challenges.

I like SC style games, because it feels like games have been getting progressively easier ever since the PS1 hit the market. Games that are too easy, or not enough actual gameplay just aren't worth spending $50 on to me. A great story is nice, but not to the extent that there are more cinematics than game segments. If I wanted a movie, I'd watch one.