TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Pixies

So yea

These guys are playing this big ass festival on California....BUT not before they swing through my neck of the woods in Saskatoon. Yes, the Pixies are coming here for one of their first gigs in nearly 10 years.

It rules. I die a happy man.

Proceed.

So yea

These guys are playing this big ass festival on California....BUT not before they swing through my neck of the woods in Saskatoon. Yes, the Pixies are coming here for one of their first gigs in nearly 10 years.

It rules. I die a happy man.

Proceed.

Where did you read this? Do you know of any Canadian tour dates?

Yes, I am aware that I don't really have to quote you.

You are a very lucky dude. They are not playing any midwest dates as yet, so Im a bit depressed. I was actually considering making the trek to Coachella during my work week, but Im just going to save my money for Bonnaroo and other shit this summer. Hopefully the Pixies come somewhere close.

Enjoy the show though.... :cheers:

So yea

These guys are playing this big ass festival on California....BUT not before they swing through my neck of the woods in Saskatoon.  Yes, the Pixies are coming here for one of their first gigs in nearly 10 years.

It rules.  I die a happy man.

Proceed.

All I know is Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

From what I know, Winnipeg is the first gig they'll play together in 10 years. We're the second.

Finally, Saskatoon gets SOMETHING. Oh yea.

Tour Dates:

4/14 - Winnipeg, MB @ Burton Cummings Theatre

4/15 - Regina, SK @ Doris Knight Ballroom

4/17 - Saskatoon, SK @ Prairieland

4/18 - Edmonton, AB @ Red's

4/19 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall

4/21 - Victoria, BC @ Victoria Curling Club

4/22 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom

4/23 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom

4/24 - Spokane, WA @ Big Easy

4/25 - Boise, ID @ Big Easy

4/27 - Eugene, OR @ MacDonald Theatre

4/29 - Davis, CA @ Freeborn Hall

5/1 - Indio, CA @ Coachella Festival

Tickets for their London shows sold out the minute they went on sale.

I may be forced to fork out £110 to see them at Glastonbury. I'm sure they'll be back again, but I don't wanna risk it.

Guest Derek Bailey

But luckily for me wayahead had them available 15 minutes before they were scheduled to go on sale. It had better be worth the 9 hour journey, and the even bigger inconvenience of being awake at 8:30am.

They play out in the sticks so less people will see it if/when those early shows suck. They better have their act together by Coachella.

The sticks are happy to have them.

Oops... forgot to add this --> ;)

Seriously, if you've listened to the Pixies and didn't like them, no amount of explanation from a fan will change that.

If, however, you haven't, pick up Surfer Rosa or Bossanova and then ask yourself the question again.

Oops... forgot to add this --> ;)

Seriously, if you've listened to the Pixies and didn't like them, no amount of explanation from a fan will change that.

If, however, you haven't, pick up Surfer Rosa or Bossanova and then ask yourself the question again.

Eh, skip over Bossanova and pick up Doolittle instead. Bossanova is great and all, but Doolittle is infinitly better.

And shallow and superficial shouldn't describe one who doesn't like the Pixies, uneducated and ignorant covers the most amount of ground.

Actually, those are album titles. I'd recommend listening to full albums rather than just specific songs. You get a better feel for the Pixies (or any really good band for that matter) this way. After a while, you'll understand why so many bands list them as a big influence.

And shallow and superficial shouldn't describe one who doesn't like the Pixies, uneducated and ignorant covers the most amount of ground.

If i listen to these albums and decide i don't like them, i'll have something to say about this believe.

Eh, skip over Bossanova and pick up Doolittle instead. Bossanova is great and all, but Doolittle is infinitly better.

You're probably right. I just really love the one-two punch of "Cecilia Ann" and "Rock Music" that opens Bossanova, but Doolittle is a much stronger album.

But luckily for me wayahead had them available 15 minutes before they were scheduled to go on sale. It had better be worth the 9 hour journey, and the even bigger inconvenience of being awake at 8:30am.

Wouldn't it be easier (and probably cheaper) to go to T In The Park? Although I'm guessing you'll be there too.

Eh, skip over Bossanova and pick up Doolittle instead.  Bossanova is great and all, but Doolittle is infinitly better.

You're probably right. I just really love the one-two punch of "Cecilia Ann" and "Rock Music" that opens Bossanova, but Doolittle is a much stronger album.

I AM right. Somtimes that one-two punch to start Bossanova scares people off. That album isn't the one that try to attract first-time listeners.

Guest Derek Bailey

Wouldn't it be easier (and probably cheaper) to go to T In The Park? Although I'm guessing you'll be there too.

I may go to T in the Park too, but if they're good then I'll just be pissed off that I let the non-festival gigs pass me by. And if they schedule any gigs for Scotland I always have the option of evil, 500% markup toutery.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
So yea

These guys are playing this big ass festival on California....BUT not before they swing through my neck of the woods in Saskatoon.  Yes, the Pixies are coming here for one of their first gigs in nearly 10 years.

It rules.  I die a happy man.

Proceed.

All I know is Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

From what I know, Winnipeg is the first gig they'll play together in 10 years. We're the second.

Finally, Saskatoon gets SOMETHING. Oh yea.

Van? I'm THERE BABY~!

Eh, skip over Bossanova and pick up Doolittle instead.  Bossanova is great and all, but Doolittle is infinitly better.

I AM right. Somtimes that one-two punch to start Bossanova scares people off. That album isn't the one that try to attract first-time listeners.

How would that scare people off? You get a rockin' surf tune in the opener "Cecilia Ann", then you kick it up two notches with the opening riff of "Rock Music". Granted, Frank Black's yelling might turn some heads, but the amazing guitar riffs blend in perfectly with his dischordant scream therapy, much more than his off-key warbling in "Debaser"... to a new listener, that is. Besides, "Rock Music' segues nicely into one my personal faves "Velouria". Granted, most new fans will love Doolittle's "Here Comes Your Man" and "Wave of Mutilation", but if they're into the more rock-heavy stuff rather than the slower surf-stylings, Bossanova is the way to go.

Scare them off?! Only if they were raised in a cellar with nothing but Raffi piped in between hourly beatings. Either way, all self-styled rock aficionados would do well to have the Pixies in their normal rotation.

You slag it too much. The first two are the best and I do think Trompe Le Monde holds up better than Bossanova, but cockness is sporadic at best. "All Over The World," "Is She Weird?," the aforementioned "Velouria," and especially "The Happening" are stellar jello. Rest of the album isn't too bad either.

Though I would take the B-sides album over either of the last two studio ones. It's awesome.