TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikey2Dope

The "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today" Thread

spellbound_poster.jpg

Spellbound (8/10)

A really great documentary that builds up suspense as well as any blockbuster, better than in most cases, and leads to a satisfying payoff.

the40yearoldvirgin_finalposter.jpg

The 40 Year Old Virgin (7/10)

A good, funny comedy film with a lot of heart thanks to the well developed characters. However, it was overlong and could have stood to have lost about 30 minutes.

Spartan - 7/10

This didn't really feel like a David Mamet film; then again, the excessive use of the line "Where's the girl?!" might have been satirizing thrillers that actually do use that line, I don't know. Either way, it was a nice little twist on a contrived plot (President's daughter is missing). Val Kilmer was pretty two-dimensional, but the film did have one of the best out-of-nowhere "holy shit!" moments in

Derek Luke's headshot

. Recommended.

In the past week, I've watched:

Cemetary Man-10/10 The best Italian Zombie movie ever made, and one of the best Horror Movies Ever Made. A classic.

The Wild Bunch-10/10 This movie is my favorite Western of all time, and it owns the fucking world. If you don't like this movie, then you are worthless in my eyes

Tamara-5/10 I was really hoping that this would be better, as I was really looking froward to it. The lead actress is real hot, and there's some nice gore, but it just feels like a generic teen horror movie.

2001 Maniacs-7.5/10 From the producers of "Hostel" comes a movie that took a while to get to DVD, but is worth it. Gory, funny, full of Tits and Ass, and a blast. Robert Englund steals the show as the mayor. Also, there are some gags (Gay guy killed via spear through his ass, Black guy killed with a cotton mill) that I'm suprised they got away with.

Night of the Demons-7/10 Cheesy but fun 80's horror film with some nice gore and Tits and Ass. Falls apart a bit nearing the end, and the character of Robert is really annoying, but it's still fun, and has one of the best character intros ever.

201863.jpg

May - 8/10

I love that movie

I've been renting a lot of documentaries from Netflix lately. Two documentaries I've watched in the last two nights.

Overnight: 7/10, an interesting documentary on the rise and fall of Boondocks Saints writer and director, Troy Duffy. It's basically 90 minutes of Duffy being a dick to everyone of his friends and then slowly falling down the ladder of success until he is blackmailed from working in Hollywood. It was a very entertaining documentary, but it wasn't very well made and the filmmakers left a lot of questions unanswered.

A Perfect Candidate: 8.5/10, a documentary from the same crew that did The War Room. It's about the 1994 U.S. Senatorial race in Virginia between Oliver North and Chuck Robb. A really eye opening look into two nasty, smear campaign.

Candyman-8/10

The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift

7 / 10 - WAYYYYYY better than 2F2F

joe-ThisDividedState.jpg

This Divided State: 9/10, an incredibly interesting documentary about Michael Moore's visit to a college to an extremely conservative part of Utah (one of the most conservative states in the U.S.) and the uproar that it causes. A really remarkable documentary about two sides just shouting at each other without listening to what each other have to say. It doesn't overtly pick sides (I'd say it leans slightly towards the left) and liberals and conservatives both come off poorly at times in this one. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 but the production is amateurish and times and there are a few Moore-esque jokes (He visits a pizza store in town named Moore Pizza and talks to a guy named Michael Moore) that fall completely flat and are largely humorless. Overall, I'd highly recommend that people of any political persuasion add this to their Netflix queue.