TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikey2Dope

The "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today" Thread

In the last week...

1025196.jpg144022.jpg013_ST2620.jpgsylvesterstallone_rockyii.jpg rocky-3-poster01.jpgrocky4.jpgatlantic_city.jpg0000-1450.jpg205095.jpg

- Sunset Blvd. owns you. It's as simple as that. Here we are over 55 years later and this is still one of the realest looks at Hollywood. Gloria Swanson nails the role, perhaps because it's not to far of a stretch for the former silent movie sensation. Gripping storytelling and a packed DVD counterpart.

- The Apartment coupled with Sunset Blvd. has me longing for some more Billy Wilder. My exposure to him is admitedly small, but everything I've seen from him suggests his outlook on things and knack for incorporating them into his films is right up my alley. I'm not a big Jack Lemmon fan, but the man is on in this role. He'll make you laugh; he'll make you feel despondent, and he'll even set off a small spark within you in the closing sequences.

- Atlantic City's one of those movies I used to stay up late during the summer to watch when I was a youngster. No, not because of anything it had to offer from a cinematic standpoint. It was more for the nudity, or brief nudity, as it came to be. You see, there was a glorious time when Cinemax and Showtime ran through this household. But both were sent packing around the time I was 11. Thus, Encore was my sole outlet for a glimpse of a rack. Tough times, but armed with the monthly TV listing magazine and an ability to stay up into the wee hours of the night/morning, I made the best of it. Unfortunately, Atlantic City doesn't offer too much in the way of what I had foresaken precious sleep for.

Alas, I returned to it all these years later for other purposes. Where as 10 years earlier, I had condemned it for being some long movie with a lot of this old guy and not nearly enough of bare circa 1980s breasts, I now recognized its true attributes: a fascinating character study with the quirky backdrop of one of this country's most unique locations.

- For as much as I enjoy comedy, I'll admit I'd never seen a full-length Chaplin picture. Thankfully, TCM had my back (as usual) and I managed to catch The Circus during the station's circus-themed block last Sunday night. I went in expecting to note and tip my non-existent cap to Chaplin's antics. I didn't expect to actually laugh, but damn if I didn't burst into laughter on several occasions. The scene where he's literally stealing from a baby is so devilshly clever, I wanted to go online and buy the loaded two-disc DVD set from WB. At a brisk 70 minutes, this is a flick I could easily see getting regular rotation when I finally take the plunge for the DVD. Excellent stuff all around.

- Not too much to say on The Untouchables. I'd surprisingly never seen the whole thing, but took advantage of one of DDD's recent sales. The first half had me locked in, but it sort of petered out after that point. Could be certain characters making exits or just the latter portion being less dialogue-driven. I'm not an action movie fan, so a film usually isn't going to win me over with such scenes. DeNiro's performance seemed phoned in, too. Overall, a movie that showed promise, but is probably overrated by those who sing its praises.

The Rocky flicks came as part of a two-day (Wednesday and Friday) mini-marathon with a friend. Subsequently, both days saw me making an abnormally low number of steps away from the couch. Part three will take place next week with the last Rocky and Over the Top. Lord help me. The food selection will be more sensible hopefully, so I don't need to experience the impending feeling of death near the end like the first two parts.

Winter Passing - 8/10

It's in the same vein as Garden State with Zooey Deschanel (Almost Famous) in Braff's role, an aspiring but detached actress who heads from NYC to her smalltown home to see her father (a really subdued Ed Harris) after years of no contact.

Anyway, not quite as good as Braff's. Still, I really enjoyed it, especially Will Ferrel's understated role, which he handles perfectly while still bringing out the laughs ("God is my copilot!").

Solid first effort for Adam Rapp. Recommended.

837322.jpg

The Cable Guy - 8/10

I'd agree with that rating. Cable Guy doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets.

I dug The Ringer.

Of course I was fucked up, with two chicks with me and they both smuggled in alchohol in thier purses, and man...

Anyway, from what I remember it was better then I expected it to be.

And I've seen a Reefer Madness flick that wasn't a musical.

It was goddamned hilarious.

I watched 'Strange Days' on FX tonight.

That shit was fucked up. And anytime I get to see Vincent D'Onofrio as a psycho, it's fucking awesome. I'll give it, uhh, 7/10.

4 weeks worth.

Godfather - 9.5/10

Godfather II - 10/10

Godfather III - 7/10

Goodfellas - 8.5/10

Donnie Brasco - 8.5/10

Platoon - 9.5/10

Enemy At The Gates - 3/10

Full Metal Jacket - 8/10

X-Men 2 - 6/10

Stalingrad (1993) - 9/10

Shura - 9.5/10