TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

Flyers/Senators Street Fight 2K4

From espn.com, the worldwide leader in something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=240305015

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- For one night, the Philadelphia Flyers turned back into the Broad Street Bullies.

Claude Lapointe and Mark Recchi scored 30 seconds apart in the first period, helping the Flyers beat the Ottawa Senators 5-3 Friday night in a game that featured five consecutive brawls in the final two minutes and set an NHL record with 419 penalty minutes.

"We're not scared of Ottawa and we're not intimidated by their talent," Flyers goaltender Robert Esche said.

Officials needed about 90 minutes after the game ended to sort the penalties. The previous record for penalty minutes was 406 by the Minnesota North Stars and Boston Bruins in 1981. The Flyers had 213 minutes and Ottawa had 206.

After the game, Philadelphia general manager Bob Clarke, captain of the Broad Street Bullies teams of the 1970s, went toward Ottawa's dressing room, but was stopped by Flyers officials.

"Their tough guy (Rob Ray) got beat up and then their next two lines fought guys who don't fight," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "I don't care what it shows them. We played a great game."

Danny Markov, Kim Johnsson and Alexei Zhamnov also scored for Philadelphia, which snapped a five-game winless streak (0-3-2) against Ottawa. The Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs by the Senators the last two seasons, and were 3-10-3 against them since a 1-0 victory in Game 1 of the 2002 Eastern Conference quarterfinals.

Philadelphia remained tied for first place in the East with Tampa Bay.

Chris Neil, Zdeno Chara and Peter Bondra scored for Ottawa, which fell four points behind the conference leaders.

"I thought we competed hard and I don't know what happened at the end," Senators coach Jacques Martin said.

Philadelphia enforcer Donald Brashear and Ray started the fighting by dropping their gloves with 1:45 left. As they skated off the ice, the rest of the players joined in, including the goalies as Ottawa's Patrick Lalime skated the length of the ice to go after Esche.

Once play resumed, all the players, except the new goalies, immediately went after each other. At the next faceoff, Philadelphia's Michal Handzus and Ottawa's Mike Fisher went at it. Another fight broke out 30 seconds later. Finally, Philadelphia's Patrick Sharp and Ottawa's Jason Spezza finished it off.

The bad blood between the teams stems from Senators forward Martin Havlat hitting Recchi in the face with his stick in a game last week. Havlat played his first game after being suspended two games by the NHL. He sat in the penalty box while the fights took place.

The Flyers had seven players remaining and Ottawa had six as the game ended.

"Why wouldn't I start it? Did you see the last game?" Brashear said. "I fought a tough guy. They went after guys who don't fight. I could've fought one of their good players and hurt them, but I didn't."

The teams meet again in Philadelphia on April 2.

"Obviously my teammates didn't forget what happened last week," Recchi said.

Lapointe tied it at 1 midway through the first period with his fourth goal. His shot from the side of the left circle near the boards went off Lalime's glove and in.

Recchi scored his 25th goal into an open net a half-minute later after Lalime failed to control rebounds on consecutive shots by John LeClair.

The Flyers took a 3-1 lead later in the period when Markov took a slap shot that Neil deflected with his glove while trying to knock it down, redirecting it past Lalime.

A power-play goal by Johnsson, his third goal in two games, made it 4-1 early in the second period.

"It wasn't a great game, but our guys stood up there," Senators defenseman Wade Redden said.

Neil gave the Senators a 1-0 lead just 4:07 in with his eighth goal. Chara one-timed a shot past Esche for his 15th goal, cutting the deficit to 4-2 in the second period.

Zhamnov made it 5-2 with his 10th goal in the third period. Zhamnov has nine points in seven games with the Flyers since he was acquired from Chicago last month to help fill the void at center created by injuries to All-Stars Jeremy Roenick and Keith Primeau.< ^Notes: Flyers D Chris Therien left the game with a left shoulder strain and didn't return. D Joni Pitkanen didn't return after he was shaken up. ... Flyers F Tony Amonte played in his 1,000th NHL game. He's the 201st NHL player to reach that total and the 12th player to do so in a Flyers uniform. ... Markov's goal was the 10,000th goal in franchise history. ... Zhamnov's goal was his 700th point in the NHL. ... The Senators have allowed 10 power-play goals in the last eight games. ... Lalime has allowed nine goals in the last two games.

419! Damn.

And with the goalie fight, call this the greatest game ever.

The Sens getting their asses kicked by Philly and Toronto doesn't look too good for them going into the playoffs. Especially if Marty Havlat's going to be going around pissing everyone off and watching everything from the penalty box.

I watched the brawls and I must say, "OLD SCHOOL!"

Seriously, that was just great. I don't care if it makes hockey look bad, that was just wonderful old school hockey brawling.

That's just insane stuff. I'm hoping I can find a channel has the next time these two face off cause that'll just be as bad.

Although, I agree Treble. This isn't looking good for the the Sens if they get into the playoffs and come up lame like they did. I could see them washing out yet again.

I'm not worried because stuff like that almost never happens in the playoffs, it only makes the series better. I'm not worried about either goalie that Philly has either.

Great old school fighting from what I saw on SportsCenter.

Still isn't at the level of Minnesota/Boston which went into the stands and involved coaches and fans.

I was thinking of goalies fighting and that reminded me of the 97 playoffs when the last 1:48 of the Pittsburgh-Washington series lasted about 40 minutes with all of the fights highlighted by Olaf Kolzig going after Larry Murphy!

Did you watch the game at all, I dont think you did otherwise you owuldn't have said that. The first to periods had NONE of that it all started with 2 minutes left, for someone with a goalie in your avatar, you're clueless about what you're talking about.

Did you watch the game at all, I dont think you did otherwise you owuldn't have said that. The first to periods had NONE of that it all started with 2 minutes left, for someone with a goalie in your avatar, you're clueless about what you're talking about.

I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen earlier in the game at all.

I love fights in hockey games, but all out brawls is just unprofessional, and really tarnish the sport reputation. (or what they have left)