TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

The OAO Showdown: Legends of Wrestling Thread!

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
www.gamingring.com officially reviewed the game. They gave it an overall rating of 9/10. I don't think the game comes out till the 24th according to it's official site.

It comes out the 22nd according to the GameSpot near me.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

GameSpot.com and Amazon.com say the 22nd is the release date.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

GAMINGRING REVIEW

To be honest, I wasnt expecting a lot from this game. After all, Acclaim's past wrestling games have left a lot to be desired. But that was then, and this is now. After spending a considerable amount of time with this game, it is safe to say that real wrestling gamers will absolutely love this game. Sure, there are some problems here and there and a few missing items that would have made this title unbeatable, but what is here is enough for me to finally give Acclaim some major props. Showdown: Legends of Wrestling is a absolute blast to play. Its fun, the graphics are realistic, and top of the line realistic, plus, the game provides a ton of replay with its multiplayer options.

The roster is probably one of the most impressive aspects about this game. Pretty much every major superstar and legend thats currently not under a WWE contract is in the game. Acclaim even managed to snag some Latino Heat to be in this game. I hope next time that they add some Japanese wrestling legends to the roster. Imagine the possibilities. Vader, Hansen, Misawa, Kawada, Akiyama, Mutoh, Hase, Chono, and Lyger together with the legends that are currently in the game. It would be perfect. But please, next time for the love of all that is holy, please include Bobo Brazil. You have The Sheik, you have Cobo Arena. This game needs Bobo.

Showdown packs the modes in this time around. Acclaim has always had a large assortment of modes and different match types and this year is no different. From 8 man elimenation tag matches to battle royals to table, ladder and cage matches pretty much all of the modes that a wrestling gamer could want are in the game. The story mode renamed this year to the Showdown challenge is very different from last years LOW 2. Its basically a series of matches with the against the different eras of wrestling champions. The 70s where you face Harley Race and Bruno Sammartino. The 80s where you face Hulk Hogan and the 90s where you face Sting and Ultimate Warrior.

The graphics, as you can see in the movies and screens provided are excellent. This is easily one of the best looking wrestling games released yet. The inclusion of real licensed arenas is a major coup and it makes you wonder why it hasnt been done before as it adds so much to the game.

The gameplay has recieved a significant overhaul from its last outing. Fans of previous LOW games will feel at ease, but there is enough here new for those who found the LOW gameplay to be lacking. For example, there are now 2 grapple buttons.The Y button serves as the ready attack button and by pressing the left analog stick in conjunction with the Y button, you have yet another attack. By pressing the Y button, you can link moves into combos that add more oomph to your attacks. You also can block and counter moves by pressing the X button. The A button serves as the strike button. And depending on the direction you press the the left analog stick you chose from light, medium and hard strikes or kicks. The B button is your primary grapple. Like the other buttons, you can have different moves by pressing the left analog stick in different directions. All told, you can have four ready attack moves, four Grapple attacks and four strikes from the four standing positions. Front, Back, Groggy Front, Groggy Back. The game has a momentum meter that builds when you string together attacks against your opponent. Once your meter is full, by moving the right analog control stick, you can perform your wrestlers finishing move. The right analog stick also serves as your taunt button. The black button calls your partner in the ring or in the steel cage match calls for the ref to open up the door. While outside, the black button takes a weapon from under the ring. The left button serves as a climb button which allows you to climb the cage or turnbuckles. It also allows you to climb in and out of the ring. The controls are much more intuitive this time around than previously, and the matches have a better flow because of that. The wrestlers still don't sell as much as I would like, but what is there is enough to see that is the direction they are going with this series.

The presentation is also greatly improved this time around. The commentary with Tony Schivonie, Bobby "the Brain" Heenan and "the Living Legend" Larry Zbysko is the best commentary ever heard in a wrestling game. I was a huge WCW fan back in 96 to 98 and hearing them banter back and forth really brought back some great memories. The inclusion of the ring announcer who can actually announce your name and hometown is a great feature for this game. From Norfolk, Virginia, Mike Regan. Its perfect, and despite the fact that you wont be able to rip your own music for your entrance its still done very well. The only nitpick that I can honestly say is that sometimes the commentary repeats itself a bit but its nothing that takes away enjoyment from the game. The tutorial with Bret "the Hitman" Hart is a nice feature that helps bring you up to speed to the game quickly.

The create a legend feature has also recieved a significant improvement. I was able to make very good likenesses of Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Doink, Goldust, and Kevin Nash. I just wish that the music ripping option was in this game. Another thing I also wish that they added more options and animations for the entrance for your caws. Many consider that the best feature in Raw 2 and they're right, It is.

Overall, Showdown: Legends of Wrestling is a huge improvement and it jumpstarts this series. THQ finally has competition for themselves. Acclaim has done a bang up job with Showdown. There used to be a old arcade game called WWF Wrestlefest and I used to spend a ton of quarters on that game. Showdown is Wrestlefest brought to the next generation. Its a fun game to play and a absolute blast on multiplayer. There are problems to be sure, but what Acclaim has given is enough to forgive those problems and nitpicks. If you buy one wrestling game for the Xbox this year, make it Acclaim's Showdown: Legends of Wrestling.

Jeremy aka the Peeps will have his take on Showdown Legends of Wrestling shortly.

The Last Word.

Acclaim brings the pain and finally makes a great playing and more importantly fun wrestling game. Showdown Legends of Wrestling is the best wrestling game released this year so far.

Graphics: 8 out of 10

Sound: 9 out of 10

Gameplay: 9 out of 10

Replayability: 10 out of 10

Create A Wrestler mode: 7 out of 10

Overall: 9 out of 10(Not a average)

Guest slacklet
I just wish that the music ripping option was in this game.

FUCK

Other than that, sounds like a great game.

The absence of the ability to rip soundtrack is a huge dissapointment. Even though I usually skip the entrances, it was a really bad move not to include it.

A Gamepro review? Pfffft. Those are meaningless.

GameSpot.com and Amazon.com say the 22nd is the release date.

"Release dates" are usually shipping dates. Many stores may not have it until tomorrow--like how Mega Man Anniversary Collection didn't come to my EB today.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Tony S. is awesome on commentary, he says all the idiot babblings he used to.

Guest Real F'n Show

Do you have it?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Do you have it?

No, I've been talking to David Smith over at DVDVRMB about it.

I'll trade my old wrestling games in for it at EB...so as not to waste any money.

While I'm really hoping the game is as good as gaming ring says, and not as bad as gamespot has led me to believe....the past games really destroy a lot of credibility the title has coming out of the gate.

IGN has a review up and the score is a 5.4. I can't believe the reviews can range so broadly. Guess we'll have to play for ourselves to see for sure.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The series seems to be gradually improving, but not enough. I'll wait until the next installment where they have even more Legends as well as improved controls. It seems like its pretty much the same as the II, just different arenas and wrestlers.

Guest Real F'n Show
IGN has a review up and the score is a 5.4. I can't believe the reviews can range so broadly. Guess we'll have to play for ourselves to see for sure.

Link me, I can't find it.

Just got the game for 30 bucks at EB.(Coupon and trade ins) It's much more fluid then the last two games, but the controls scheme seems identical to the previous games. Just a lot more fluid. You'll see minor glitches here or there, but the graphics are top notch and the CAL is pretty good. Good animations and taunts...the entrance music ranges from decent to cool. The classic matches are interesting, but their could have been more. Sorry for jumping around in my review so much.

Final Verdict: It's well worth the money this time around, but I will be renting the next LOW game to make sure the improvements are in place. Which are as follows:

1. I want to see the game remove the rest of the awkwardness that is left over, and possibly just completely redesign it's controls. I know they said they redesigned them for this game, but it feels much like the previous games...only smoother.

2. Even deeper create a legend....there are some areas lacking in this.

3. More Classic Matches and possibly more wrestlers.

Grade: B-

I got the game earlier, and despite a few flaws, I like it a lot. The cage matches especially blow Smackdown's away. I haven't run into a "huge" glitches yet either, and the small ones I have ran into are rare, unlike what it said in IGN's review. Only problems I have are that the striking moves are awkward and a little hard to hit and it still doesn't flow perfectly (but still pretty good).

8/10.

IGN has issues with any wrestling game thats not Smackdown anyway. So I wouldn't pay much attention.

If AP says its good, thats worth a rent from me.

Gamespot sounds like they are pretty accurate with a 6.5, I don't really trust IGN's reviews, they did give Raw 1 and 2 both 9s.

By the way, the Showdown website has just updated with a Hulk Hogan Spotlight. They make sure he has the longest bio, the most pictures and a video clip too.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

screen10.jpg

Hogan revisonist history. He hasn't had this much hair since he was 16.

Hogan revisonist history. He hasn't had this much hair since he was 16.

Don't forget, he lifted the 900 pound Andre the Giant over his head and bodyslammed him.

After playing a few more matches, I'd change the score to a 7. It's a lot of fun, just a little buggy. If only they had worked on it for 2 more months...

That's exactly what I expect most everyone else to do also, after spending a little more time with the game. I'll wait to buy it untill the price is lowered. I'd be willing to bed I can buy one from someone used at a pretty good price pretty soon.

After six hours of play. I stand by my B- grade of the game. AKA about 8/10 on a numbe scale.