TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The OaO Injured Yankees Thread

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees pitcher Jon Lieber was sidelined Sunday by a groin problem after returning from a long layoff, putting him in doubt for the start of the regular season and likely leaving Donovan Osborne with the No. 5 spot in the rotation.

In New York's latest spring setback, Lieber aggravated the injury during Saturday's two-inning stint against Atlanta. It was the first time he'd faced big league hitters since reconstructive surgery on his right elbow in August 2002.

"I've got to take a few more weeks, I guess," Lieber said. "Just a bad situation."

Lieber was scratched from his first scheduled start last Monday because of a sore right groin. The former 20-game winner admitted being so eager to pitch that he pushed himself, and did not tell anyone he was hurting until he came out.

"I tried to pitch through it and it flared up. I couldn't push off," he said. "If it was really serious, I wouldn't be able to walk."

The Yankees already lost Bernie Williams for the March 30 opener in Tokyo because of an appendectomy. Gary Sheffield reinjured his thumb in an exhibition game, and Kenny Lofton was out with a sore right quadriceps.

With a break after returning from Japan, the Yankees do not anticipate needing a fifth starter until around April 10 against the Chicago White Sox.

General manager Brian Cashman said he would not look outside the organization for a fifth starter. He said there was "no truth" to speculation that the Yankees were trying to trade for Pittsburgh's Kris Benson.

Cashman said he was not overly worried about Lieber, adding, "his arm is fine, his groin is not 100 percent resolved yet."

"The only concern is giving it the time it needs," he said.

With a loaded lineup, the AL champions' main concern was the health of the pitching staff. Mike Mussina and Javier Vazquez are steady, but Kevin Brown, Jose Contreras and Lieber were more questionable over the long haul.

Osborne will take Lieber's slot, starting Friday in a split-squad game. Injured for all of 2000 and 2001, he was cut in spring training by the New York Mets last year and did not pitch in the majors all season.

Osborne would give the Yankees their only left-handed starter. Plus, he is familiar to manager Joe Torre: When he guided St. Louis, Osborne was in the rotation.

"His experience and the fact he seems to be healthy. My knowledge of him before," Torre said. "I think emotionally he can handle it."

Osborne pitched Sunday against Pittsburgh, giving up two runs and six hits in three innings. In three exhibition games, he has allowed three runs and nine hits in 8 1/3 innings.

Young Jorge De Paula is a possibility for the Yankees' staff later this season, though his back is aching. Recently signed Orlando Hernandez is still recovering from injuries that sidelined him last season.

"It's going to be the survival of the fittest," Torre said.

Lieber gave up two runs and three hits against Atlanta. Before he pitched, he got to hit in the top of the first inning when the Yankees batted around.

Taking a hard swing, Lieber grounded out and jogged to first. Lieber said he did not get hurt in his at-bat.

The Yankees had asked the Braves for permission to use a DH, but Atlanta turned it down and insisted on playing by NL rules in its park.

Donovan Osbourne????

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

God Damn this is ruining my fantasy league...wait...only Yankee that's injured on my roster is Bernie. Well, it could be worse.

Well, if more Yankees and Red Sox get hurt, the Blue Jays path to the AL East title is clear...

That should be their path to 2nd place behind the Orioles.

The Os are going to benefit a lot from the Red Sox hurting since they play the Sox 7 times in the first 2 weeks of the Season. They also play Tampa Bay and Toronto 6 times in April. They don't play the Yanks til a 3 game series that starts on my Birthday in May (25th) though which sucks, well its good cause Im gonna go to another O's Yankees game.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Well, if more Yankees and Red Sox get hurt, the Blue Jays path to the AL East title is clear...

Um, 2nd place behind the Orioles?

I predict the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will do better than the Blue Jays. (ducks flaming trash thrown)

The hell? The Blue Jays are MUCH better than the Devil Rays, or Orioles for that matter. If they played in the Central they'd be easy favorites. As it stands now the Jays have an outside chance of sneaking into the Wild Card.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Toronto also plays the mighty Tigers 6 times in the first 10 days.

Six easy wins right there...

Guest Anglesault

I hate you all.

Very much.

If the Yankees are gonna fall apart in front of my eyes like this, the least they can do is Bronx Zoo it up a little.

Because the happy go lucky team that all loves each other and finishes third due to stupid ass spring training injuries aint gonna cut it.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I'm sure Jeter will break his hand on A-Rod's face at some point.

Plus you have Kevin Brown, King of the Assholes. I'm sure he'll do something interesting eventually.

Guest Anglesault
I'm sure Jeter will break his hand on A-Rod's face at some point.

Plus you have Kevin Brown, King of the Assholes. I'm sure he'll do something interesting eventually.

Maybe Posada and our OMG great investment~! can brawl again.

Dudes, this is seriously worrying me. Damn you spring training. oh well. and what's with all the talk about jeter fighting with alex ? do you think the egos will collide or what? interesting season upcoming, but don't worry we'll still finish ahead of the red sux.

what's with all the talk about jeter fighting with alex ?

don't worry we'll still finish ahead of the red sux.

Well, it has a lot to do with the fact that at some point, invariably, Jeter is going to get in a fight with Alex.

And don't kid yourself. George Steinbrenner erected himself an exquisite house of cards for summer 2004. One of the finest. But it's just that, and you'll be lucky to be better than the Blue Jays.

Guest cpac

Czech, drugs kill. Lay off of them. They are clouding your judgement and intelligence.

yknow, I'm sick of all the Yankee hatred. It is kinda poitnless, considering that when they won their 4 titles previous, the payroll was not as high as now and they didn't have that many stars (eg 98). they haven't won in 4 years and still we get complaints sheesh. I am not saying I believe that baseball players should be paid that much, I am just saying george is only doing what the current system allows. I am a little worried that this will become like the 80s where he spent money but had teams that sucked. I may have been spoiled, becoming a yanks fan in the early 90s in time to watch their rise from mediocrity (then again I am only 21) , but I love my team, no matter what crazy thing is happening. I am a New Yorker through and through, despite my current location in the beautiful looking, but filled with posers,airheads, and assorted other phonies (eg Laker "Fans"), area of Southern Cali. So please lay off us true Yanks fans for once in your lives. No one has a true reason to hate on us, unless of course you're from New England (or a Mets fan-scratch that even that is just jealousy lol@ my cuz in ny for that one, nah I can't insult my fellow ny'ers)

Sorry for ranting.

much love to my fellow "Yankee-holics" :cheers:

I don't think anyone's really hating on the Yankees here. We're pretty much just poking fun at them and their injury prone, paper thin team.

That and it is just really funny to see the highest paid team in the MLB literially "fall apart".

If you can't see the humor in that, I just don't know about you.

Although, I'm really hoping Sheff can still go. I really don't want him injuried since he's on like a couple of my fantasy teams.

yknow, I'm sick of all the Yankee hatred. It is kinda poitnless, considering that when they won their 4 titles previous, the payroll was not as high as now and they didn't have that many stars (eg 98). they haven't won in 4 years and still we get complaints sheesh. I am not saying I believe that baseball players should be paid that much, I am just saying george is only doing what the current system allows. I am a little worried that this will become like the 80s where he spent money but had teams that sucked. I may have been spoiled, becoming a yanks fan in the early 90s in time to watch their rise from mediocrity (then again I am only 21) , but I love my team, no matter what crazy thing is happening. I am a New Yorker through and through, despite my current location in the beautiful looking, but filled with posers,airheads, and assorted other phonies (eg Laker "Fans"), area of Southern Cali. So please lay off us true Yanks fans for once in your lives. No one has a true reason to hate on us, unless of course you're from New England (or a Mets fan-scratch that even that is just jealousy lol@ my cuz in ny for that one, nah I can't insult my fellow ny'ers)

Sorry for ranting.

much love to my fellow "Yankee-holics" :cheers:

1. I hold no hatred towards the Yankees or their players. The team is truly one of the classiest bunches around. My only problem comes with fanatical fans who are impossible to deal with when their team wins, and that's certainly not exclusive to Yankees fans.

2. I'm in the minority that baseball players SHOULD be paid that much. My only concern would be the payroll imbalance, but I believe that problem will correct themselves. No good capitalist business spends money that inefficiently and stays on top.

3. I do have a legitimate reason for hating on Yankees fans. I live in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. In an area which should be filled with Phillies fans, we're infested with Yankees fans, thanks to being a tourist trap.

4. As far as payroll goes, take a wild guess as to which team had the highest payroll in 1991. That goes for everyone.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

unlike these other pussies, I am a card-carrying Yankee hater. We are now arch enemies and shall fight to the death.

Guest thebigjig

on a completely unrelated note... I graduated with Chase Wright, a guy that plays for the Yankees in the minor leagues... he was drafted our senior year in the third round draft pick, and we even played on the same t-ball team... he was the only kid in the league that hit a homerun that year

anybody ever heard of him? I dont really know how he's doing, but I read something from a New york newspaper about how they expect him to be promoted to the major league in a few years

anybody ever heard of him? I dont really know how he's doing, but I read something from a New york newspaper about how they expect him to be promoted to the major league in a few years

Good news: He's an absolutely terrific third base prospect. John Sickels rates him an A-, and lists him as the 9th best position prospect in baseball. Baseball Prospectus is even more generous, rating him as the 5th best prospect in baseball, and optimistic that he'll contend for the 2005 Rookie of the Year award. A true stud.

Bad news: He's in the METS' organization.