TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Skywarp!

Top Drummers List

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Have they ever heard of this wild and wacky thing called jazz?

Buddy Rich owns Neil Peart

So does Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Jack DeJohnette - must I continue?

No.

PS> I just noticed on the top of the page they mention that it is rock drummers. KANE shoulda clarified better. Unless he automatically disregarded jazz?

Either way, the list is rubbish. Keith Moon isn't better than Bonham. Peart is not better than Ginger Baker. In fact, Ginger Baker should be number one. Moreover, Stewart Copeland was totally shafted. List = rubbish.

Either way, the list is rubbish. Keith Moon isn't better than Bonham. Peart is not better than Ginger Baker. In fact, Ginger Baker should be number one. Moreover, Stewart Copeland was totally shafted. List = rubbish.

and you call me for not knowing jack shit about music.

agreed List is bad, but Ginger Baker is not all that.

Either way, the list is rubbish.  Keith Moon isn't better than Bonham.  Peart is not better than Ginger Baker.  In fact, Ginger Baker should be number one.  Moreover, Stewart Copeland was totally shafted.  List = rubbish.

and you call me for not knowing jack shit about music.

agreed List is bad, but Ginger Baker is not all that.

You DON'T know shit.

34. Damon Che Fitzgerald (Don Caballero)

Surprised to see an indie band--though one with very obvious metal influences--make such a showing on this list; Don Caballero's playing in my town this Friday, too. I'll be there.

Anyway, I'm not gonna complain about this list--it's a fucking list, ferchrissakes--but Neil Peart is ridiculously overrated.

You DON'T know shit.

What makes Ginger better than:

6. Terry Bozzio (Zappa, Jeff Beck)

7. Danny Carey (Tool)

10. Stewart Copeland (Police)

11. Carl Palmer (ELP)

13. Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)

15. Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)

16. Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Frank Zappa)

17. Phil Collins (Genesis)

18. Matt Cameron (Soundgarden)

19. Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

20. Mike Bordin (Faith No More)

21. Virgil Donati (Planet X)

22. Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

23. Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)

33. Max Weinberg (E Street Band)

34. Damon Che Fitzgerald (Don Caballero)

44. Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

45. Chris Pennie (Dillinger Escape Plan)

47. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)

48. Chad Smith (RHCP)

66. Dale Crover (Melvins)

79. Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)

81. Grant Hart (Husker Du)

84. Alan John "Reni" Wren (Stone Roses)

88. John Densmore (The Doors)

94. Danny Seraphine (Chicago)

96. Jimmy DeGrasso (Megadeath)

97. Matt Sorum (The Cult, GNR)

98. Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson)

99. Neil Smith (Alice Cooper)

plus many more.

Please tell me.

Any list about an individual's talents are overrated. How do you make a list for the best guitarists? I don't care how fast you can play, or how much tapping is involved, if the song sucks it don't mean shit.

Slanted and Enchanted sounds like it was made in a garage by a bunch of guys who had just picked up an instrument, doesn't make it any less great.

Have you ever listsned to Cream? He had the technique of a jazz drummer and the power that nearly matches Bonham. He was the FIRST to incorporate the jazz style into rock n'roll. MOREOVER, he may arguably be the first rock n' roll drummer. If you go and look up interviews with Keith Moon, Ringo, and Bonham - they all say they were influenced by Ginger Baker.

Ginger Baker is NOT ridiculously overated, your knowledge of music is.

No sorry, I don't have 4 Cream albums (Fresh Cream, The Savage Seven, Wheels on Fire, and Strange Brew: Very Best of Cream).

I'm not an idiot, his influence on many drummers, except Ringo, didn't know that till now.

But he's um...decent.

No sorry, I don't have 4 Cream albums (Fresh Cream, The Savage Seven, Wheels on Fire, and Strange Brew: Very Best of Cream).

Not only do you have bad taste in music, you have a terrible sense of humor. Your grammer is disgusting.

Just try listening to those albums. Listen to Toad (its a song, fool). Just try it. I dare you.

Not only do you have bad taste in music, you have a terrible sense of humor. Your grammer is disgusting.

Just try listening to those albums. Listen to Toad (its a song, fool). Just try it. I dare you.

Toad > Moby Dick.

I had to say that.

Hell I can list 5 of my favourite drummers, and not one of them would be considered Metal.

Neil Peart

Keith Moon

Stuart Copeland

Phil Collins (under-rated drummer, bad everything else after Gabriel left)

Max Weinberg

Max FUCKING Weinberg is better than Ginger Baker?

Oh man, when are we going to get to the discussion where you say that the Darkness writes better songs than Neil Young?

I'm outta here. I don't wanna suffocate in the shit.

Max FUCKING Weinberg is better than Ginger Baker?

Oh man, when are we going to get to the discussion where you say that the Darkness writes better songs than Neil Young?

I'm outta here. I don't wanna suffocate in the shit.

There's a difference between favourite and best.

Fine leave. Obviously your "musical knowledge" is too great for me to know. Fine be arrogant and don't accept other people taste and music, obviously your right and I'm wrong.

Tool.

Guest Nanks

Travis Barker at 67?? Come on now, I'm not asking for him to be no. 1, but he is not that low.

On a side note, 'trane, I love that you could call someone's "grammer" disgusting. You moron.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bozzio eats Ginger Baker and shits out Max Weinberg.

The guy has immaculate timing on a high hat and snare, and can treat them like fine women. The drum solo on Zappa's "Baby Snakes" DVD sees him running a full rack of stuff, switching beats and time signatures perfectly, far beyond what Bonham was doing with Moby Dick, and anything I've ever heard Baker do. He might've been one of the first, which I'll completely agree with, but lets not forget the Mothers were recording material in 66 and 67, which actually either predates or coincides with Cream. Bozzio does more with his double bass, too. The guy transcends genres as much as Baker does, too. You can watch his solo on Baby Snakes or listen to a song like "Rubber Shirt" which has this delicate interplay between the drums and bass.

Have you ever listsned to Cream? He had the technique of a jazz drummer and the power that nearly matches Bonham. He was the FIRST to incorporate the jazz style into rock n'roll. MOREOVER, he may arguably be the first rock n' roll drummer. If you go and look up interviews with Keith Moon, Ringo, and Bonham - they all say they were influenced by Ginger Baker.

If incorporating jazz (and other musical genres) into rock is what makes a drummer great, then wouldn't the guy from Phish have to be on the list, too?

And being the first at something doesn't necessarily make you the best at it. Nor does being an influence.

23. Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)

That has to be a joke. Alex Van Halen is one half of the most boring rhythm section in music history.

What's even more of a joke is that Jose Pasillas of Incubus is actually on the list.

What irks me is that Dave Lombardo is at #19, but Paul Bostaph, the superior drummer, is down at #121. I'm also pissed that Igor Cavalera is so low. He brought the Brazilian tribal style to the world of Metal and incoproates it PERFECTLY.

Igor > Lombardo

Man, I fucking hate these lists.

Travis Barker at 67?? Come on now, I'm not asking for him to be no. 1, but he is not that low.

On a side note, 'trane, I love that you could call someone's "grammer" disgusting. You moron.

That has nothing to do with grammer, it is spelling. My sentences at least make sense, Naaaaaaanks.

Have you ever listsned to Cream? He had the technique of a jazz drummer and the power that nearly matches Bonham.  He was the FIRST to incorporate the jazz style into rock n'roll.  MOREOVER, he may arguably be the first rock n' roll drummer.  If you go and look up interviews with Keith Moon, Ringo, and Bonham - they all say they were influenced by Ginger Baker.

If incorporating jazz (and other musical genres) into rock is what makes a drummer great, then wouldn't the guy from Phish have to be on the list, too?

And being the first at something doesn't necessarily make you the best at it. Nor does being an influence.

Are you on drugs?

If he's the first to do it, others follow suit, then ADMIT that Baker was an influence - then I'd say that he is an influence. Which part of this don't you understand?

I knew I shouldn't have come back in here...y'all make me brain hurt.

Thanks for the info, KANE. I poked around and checked out the vocalist list, and it wsa average at best. Freddie Mercury is #1, and I agree. But Robert Plant at #2 I don't like. If you're going to put Plant that high on a list, put an asterisk next to his name. From Led Zeppelin through Houses of the Holy, Plant was amazing. He burned his voice out though. From Physical Graffitti on, he was not the same, only occasionally flashing the great voice he once had.

Jeff Buckley at #14 is WRONG, as is Mike Patton at #21. The list has Layne Staley, Ian Gillan, Geoff Tate, John Fogerty and KEVIN FUCKING CRONIN from REO Speedwagon ahead of Patton, and we all know that Patton > all the names I just listed.

And just for Choken, Keith Caputo is at #170, right behind Johnny Rotten.

Wont get into another discussion about Led Zeppelin...

Saying Patton is better than Layne is a bold statement, but even I have to agree on that.

Hell if we are talking the best, why isn't Flo Mournier of Cryptopsy on this list then, blows everyone away on drums.

Have you ever listsned to Cream? He had the technique of a jazz drummer and the power that nearly matches Bonham.  He was the FIRST to incorporate the jazz style into rock n'roll.  MOREOVER, he may arguably be the first rock n' roll drummer.  If you go and look up interviews with Keith Moon, Ringo, and Bonham - they all say they were influenced by Ginger Baker.

Are you on drugs?

If he's the first to do it, others follow suit, then ADMIT that Baker was an influence - then I'd say that he is an influence. Which part of this don't you understand?

I knew I shouldn't have come back in here...y'all make me brain hurt.

I think that I worded my statement poorly, as it left poor 'trane confused ...

let me rephrase my statement ...

And being the first at something doesn't necessarily make you the best at it. Nor does being an influence make you the best at it. (added the bold to correct my open-ended statement).

I fully recognized your point about Baker being an influence, I just find it to be a bullshit reason to have someone be considered one of the all-time best. I erred by not finishing my sentence in my original post, and apologize for making your brain hurt.

And, no, I'm not on drugs.

Here is the vocalist list for those who don't want to look it up.

1. Freddie Mercury (Queen)

2. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

3. Roger Daltrey (The Who)

4. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)

5. Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)

6. Jim Morrison (The Doors)

7. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

8. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)

9. Elvis Presley

10. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

11. David Bowie

12. Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

13. Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

14. Jeff Buckley

15. Maynard James Keenan (Tool, Perfect Circle)

16. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

17. John Fogerty (CCR)

18. Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)

19. Bruce Springsteen

20. Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon)

21. Mike Patton (Faith No More)

22. Ronnie James Dio (Dio)

23. Steve Perry (Journey)

24. Sebastian Bach (Skid Row)

25. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

26. Bon Scott (AC/DC)

27. Axl Rose (Guns N Roses)

28. Elvis Costello

29. Bob Seger

30. Bono (U2)

31. Ray Davies (The Kinks)

32. Klaus Meine (Scorpions)

33. Don Mclean

34. Sammy Hagar (Van Halen)

35. James Hetfield (Metallica)

36. John Lennon (The Beatles)

37. Mark Lanegan (Queens Of The Stoneage)

38. Joe Cocker

39. Ian Astbury (The Cult)

40. David Lee Roth (Van Halen)

41. Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

42. Neil Young

43. Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

44. Justin Hayward (Moody Blues)

45. Jack Bruce (Cream)

46. David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

47. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

48. Sting (The Police)

49. Greg Lake (ELP, King Crimson)

50. Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)

51. Eric Clapton (Cream)

52. Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple)

53. Roy Orbison

54. Michael Matijevic (Steelheart)

55. George Thorogood

56. Peter Gabriel (Genesis)

57. David Byron (Uriah Heep)

58. Michael Stipe (REM)

59. Joe Elliot (Def Leppard)

60. Gary Cherone (Extreme)

61. James Labrie (Dream Theater)

62. John Wetton (Asia)

63. Alice Cooper

64. Glenn Danzig (Danzig)

65. Michael Sweet (Stryper)

66. Peter Cetera (Chicago)

67. Nick Cave

68. Steve Miller

69. Burton Cummings (The Guess Who)

70. Brian Johnson (AC/DC)

71. Lou Reed (Velvet Underground)

72. Art Garfunkel (Siumon & Garfunkel)

73. Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)

74. Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

75. Bob Dylan

76. Jon Anderson (Yes)

77. Philip Anselmo (Pantera)

78. Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

79. Paul Dianno (Iron Maiden)

80. Iggy Pop

81. Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

82. Steve Winwood (Traffic)

83. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

84. Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots)

85. Robert Smith (The Cure)

86. Meat Loaf

87. Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

88. Rod Stewart

89. Morissey (The Smiths)

90. Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)

91. Leslie West (Mountain)

92. Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)

93. Eric Burdon (Animals)

94. Van Morrison

95. Phil Collins

96. Don Henley (The Eagles)

97. Paul Rodgers (Bad Company)

98. Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

99. Geddy Lee (Rush)

100. Brad Delp (Boston)

Tyler being #8 is good enough for me.

Guest Nanks

Scott Weiland being so low and Michael Hutchence being left out anger me greatly.