TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ced

PROMO: Tape Review

Note: This was going to be posted in the WF folder, but seeing as I haven't been 100% active in months, I'm dropping it in here to be safe.

Note: This is a work of sheer B.S. which is to say it is a fictional review of a fictional tape written by a fictional writer. Like you didn't know that already...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAPE REVIEW

CED ORDONEZ SHOOT INTERVIEW

By Ryan O. Honeycutt

Mar 23, 2004, 11:10

This is a review of SWF wrestler/referee Ced Ordonez, which was taped on February 9, 2004.

We start off with Ced giving a shoutout to all of his Internet fans. I need to add that he’s wearing a San Miguel Beermen basketball jersey. I have no idea if that team even exists but they are the greatest basketball team EVER simply for that name.

Ced says that he grew up watching pro-wrestling and how his TV watching schedule was solely based around when the wrestling shows were on.

He talks about how he was never good at sports. He went to try-outs for his high school amateur wrestling team, but he never made the cut both times he competed for a spot. He tells the story about his attempt to earn a walk on spot on his college football squad and ending up on an ambulance ride by the end of the day due to sheer exhaustion.

He talks about how he took up martial arts as a hobby after failing at competitive sports and how it toughened him up. He’s a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do and took it mainly to learn to “f*** somebody up with kicks.” He also glosses over his training in judo and his self proclaimed “C-Groove Shooto” style of fighting, which he describes as “one part martial arts to two parts crazy bastard.”

Next, he goes on to talk about how he got into pro-wrestling. He says that he never got formal training before actually making it into the fed. He wanted to go to the WCW Power Plant, but didn’t have the money for the trip so he set up pads in his apartment complex’s workout room and spent months practicing bumps and holds until 3 in the morning. He claims to have sent out audition tapes to all the major wrestling companies worldwide before finally landing a spot in the IGNWF.

He talks about how tough the SWF’s road schedule can be and how quickly it can burn out wrestlers. He says that a combination of minor injuries and personal problems eventually snowballed together and sidelined him from regular wrestling action, which is the reason he’s refereeing more than wrestling at the moment. When asked about a possible return to the ring full-time, he states that his life is just about back on track, but that he’s enjoying being a ref for now.

He then goes on to mention his rabid obsession with video games. He travels with his PS2 and X-Box while on tour and regularly frequents local arcades before each show, especially those with DDR machines (absolutely no surprise here). This naturally segues into the Bemani Cross Wizard gimmick. Ced credits himself for the name but gives the majority of the credit to Thoth for coming up with the idea. Although he he loved the idea, he admits that he never thought it was going to get over like it did.

With the interview winding down, Ced takes the time to pimp his newly opened arcade center “Esaka Street Arcade” (named after his original entrance theme, which is from the King of Fighters ‘96 video game, appropriately enough) in Sacramento, CA. (“We’ve got Neo-Geos and all the Bemani games. You KNOW you want it, dammit!”)

As a bonus we are given The Bemani Cross Wizards (Ced Ordonez and Thoth) vs Justice and Rule (Judge William Hearford III & Ejiro Fasaki) from the October 13, 2003 airing of SWF Smarkdown (An excellent TV match) followed by Ced Ordonez vs Mercury for the vacant SWF Hardcore Gamer’s Championship from the Genesis 3 PPV on September 29,2002 (A so-so affair but significant being Ced’s first major title victory).

This was a decent shoot interview that gives a little insight of Ced Ordonez outside of the ring. Nothing ground breaking and rather short compared to other shoot interviews, but it’s entertaining enough to make for a decent viewing.

Mild recommendation to watch.

Guest Goodear

I like the idea behind this Ced, but I think a bit more 'excerpts' would make the interview a little more personal and little less reporter-ish. As it looks now, the shoot review reads like a list of factoids... which is okay but a little dry expecially when you don't really break any major ground with the review. I think the concept of a shoot interview is great though and could be used mulitpule times for some really great writing opportunities.

You bastard! I was gonna' do this with Renegade a month or so ago! lol. Nah, I think it's cool and I was thinking of doing one but a bit more humorous. I like it, makes for nice little read.

I was thinking about doing two surreal segments where my angry personal threats during a personal visit to Acclaim led to the cancellation of their production of the SWF videogame and a drunken DDR brawl that led to two months of community service. But alas, I was typing this off the cuff at midnight with very little creative juice flowing.