TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Suicide King

Difficulties saving to memory card.

Guest Suicide King

So I started playing Final Fantasy 7 again earlier today on my PS2, and much to my surprise I was unable to save at any save point. It didn't detect my PS2 memory card. So I popped in FF8 to try that out as well, but I had the same problem. All my PS2 games are saving just fine to this card so it isn't defective.

Is there something I can do about this? Do I just need to get a different brand of memory card, or is it just impossible to save these games to PS2 memory cards? Any advice would be appreciated.

You can store PS1 game saves on PS2 cards, but you can't save/load up from a PS2 card. You need to use PS1 cards to actually play the game and save/load game data.

However, you can back up PS1 saves on a PS2 card. They use a different format to read/record data-- 8 MB PS2 card vs. "15 block" PS1 card (= about 1 MB).

Guest Suicide King

So where do I go about getting PS1 memory cards then, and do they even work with a PS2, or do I need to get my PS1 out of cold storage to play these games all the way through?

So where do I go about getting PS1 memory cards then, and do they even work with a PS2, or do I need to get my PS1 out of cold storage to play these games all the way through?

The PS2 will let you play PS1 games while using PS1 memory cards. However, you can't save PS2 games on PS1 cards at all, and you can't use PS2 cards to play with the data saved on them.

You can find new PS1 memory cards pretty easily, and you can get a ton of used PS1 memory cards for very cheap at Gamestop/EBs. 1st party versions are best, but most 3rd party ones work fine. Stay away from the more unusual looking cards though, and especially stay away from the ones that promise "8x the storage of standard Playstation memory cards!" The multi-page memory cards usually are trouble.

The PS2 basically is compatible with almost all PS1 games and accessories, except for some peripherals like the PS1 multitap and Guncon. So you can use PS1 controllers to play any PS1 or 2 game, and use the PS1 memory cards for PS1 games. However, as far as memory cards go, you gotta use PS2 cards for PS2 games and PS1 cards for PS1 games.

Backing up PS1 saves on PS2 cards don't hurt, of course. It's just a back-up/safekeeping measure, though.

The hell? The PS1 data onto PS2 card thing doesn't make sense to me

I just had one card for each format and ran with it that way

The hell? The PS1 data onto PS2 card thing doesn't make sense to me

PS2 cards hold more space so you can store old PS1 games on that card to prevent your PS1 card from filling up too fast. I do it all the time. You can then transfer them back if you want to play.

Anybody use the Dexdrive?

I used to. It's very handy to be able to d/l saves from GameFAQs, because stuff getting wiped out isn't a major concern for me. However, I only have my N64 one right now.

The hell?  The PS1 data onto PS2 card thing doesn't make sense to me

PS2 cards hold more space so you can store old PS1 games on that card to prevent your PS1 card from filling up too fast. I do it all the time. You can then transfer them back if you want to play.

So you can move PS1 saves back and forth between a 1 card and a 2 card, but you can't load 1 games directly off a 2 card?

Makes sense

Andrew's second post was just headache-inducing

So you can move PS1 saves back and forth between a 1 card and a 2 card, but you can't load 1 games directly off a 2 card?

Yes. It is only usefull because the PS2 cards hold a lot more.

This?

The PS2 will let you play PS1 games while using PS1 memory cards. However, you can't save PS2 games on PS1 cards at all, and you can't use PS2 cards to play with the data saved on them.

Backing up PS1 saves on PS2 cards don't hurt, of course. It's just a back-up/safekeeping measure, though.

How's that headache-inducing?

The rest was basically answering his other questions and throwing in a side note on accessories as well.

Maybe I should do a diagram next time.

I'm saddened you didn't ask me this first, King. I feel like our relationship is breaking apart.

Is it me?

This?

The entire second post, just scanning it, with all the "Ye and PS1 begat PS2, but PS2 may not beget PS1, and PS1 and PS2 may not, but PS2 and PS1 shall... PS1 PS2 PS2 PS1 PS1 PS1 PS2 PS1 PS2 PS1 PS1 PS1 PS2 PS2 PS1 PS2..."

It's like a Nazi code or something

Maybe I should do a diagram next time.

Be like Woody Paige and draw it all on an 8x11 dry erase board