TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

My Top 50 Heavy Metal Albums

This is only out of the bands I listen too, and I didn't include live albums or compilations.

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets

3. Slayer - Reign in Blood

4. Metallica - Kill 'Em All

5. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

6. Sepultura - Chaos A.D.

7. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

8. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

9. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

10. Motörhead - Ace of Spades

11. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

12. Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell

13. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

14. Dio - Holy Diver

15. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

16. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman

17. Metallica - ...And Justice for All

18. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

19. Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

20. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

21. Judas Priest - British Steel

22. Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

23. Black Sabbath - Sabotage

24. Metallica - Metallica

25. Judas Priest - Stained Class

26. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

27. Anthrax - Among the Living

28. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath

29. Scorpions - Blackout

30. Sepultura - Arise

31. Scorpions - Love at First Sting

32. Sepultura - Roots

33. Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather

34. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

35. Motörhead - Overkill

36. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Vol. 4

37. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

38. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

39. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

40. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

41. Judas Priest - Painkiller

42. Iron Maiden - Killers

43. Rainbow - Rainbow Rising

44. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

45. Slayer - South of Heaven

46. UFO - Lights Out

47. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

48. Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

49. Mercyful Fate - Melissa

50. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Thanks for reading!

Guest Blas

Any list that says "Top 50 Heavy Metal Albums" should not have anything by Panterrible in it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm a Pantera apologist, but only for Vulgar Display of Power and their live shows. Down's first album kills anything else Phil Anselmo's ever been involved with.

The rest of that list, I'll just say I disagree.

My top five would probably read, in no particular order:

Acid Bath-When The Kite String Pops

Cryptopsy-Whisper Supremacy

Slayer-Reign in Blood

Down-Nola

and...Nile-In Their Darkened Shrines

Double dosage of Swamp and Death, with Slayer represented. Works for me. The first Sabbath album isn't there because I consider it more than just a heavy metal album. Those five represent the genre better than anything else I can think of at the moment, though I'm sure I'm going to have some Maiden, Mayhem, and Metallica flung in my general direction as a result of that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That Acid Bath album is one of the few cds where, if anyone even slightly interested in metal heard the whole thing, they would grow to love it.

A personal top 5

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

An album that reinvented an entire genre of music while at the same time it serves as the high water example of the style it came from. A storm cloud of massive emotional awareness that seems to drag you into a cyclone of sound that DEMANDS that you give it you undivided attention, lest you miss one of the many buried aspects that adds to the whole. It's 6 years later and I still can find things that I've never heard before on this album.

Highly technical performances all around with a drum performance that rivals any brutal death fly swatters in intensity and speed matched with guitar shredding that can only be described as haunting and inspired.

I begins with one of the most blowyourdoorsoffthefuckinghinges songs/warning that I may ever hear "Ye Entranceemperirum" and ends with the most honest and aware song I have ever heard "With Strength I Burn". Only 2 albums I would even consider giving a perfect rating to, this is one of them.

Number 1 heavy metal album of all time as indicated by a lazy ass review.

2. Anathema - Judgement. Angelslayer will give me shit for calling this metal, but I've decided I don't give a damn. This is metal. It's also an album of the highest calibre. This number 2 rating really means it's tied for number 1, but only because of the impact it's had on my life. The only other "perfect" album

3. Down - NOLA. I love Pantera to death and always will, regardless of the...lesser nature of their final few years' work. I love Down even more. NOLA is everything that is just fucking right about Heavy Metal music

4. Slayer - Reign In Blood. My first exposure to Slayer was this album, and I'm glad it was. I probably wouldn't enjoy/respect the band as much as I do if it had been another album I heard first.

5. Suffocation - Pierced From Within. Another "first" as far as genre exposure goes. I can't seem to pinpoint the reason but this album always seems to stay a step ahead of any other death machine I've ever heard. And a lot of albums from other genres aswell for that matter.

Yup.

I think in terms of "mainstream" metal, that's an excellent list. See, those are the bands I like listening to, too. But it's hard to group in other lesser known bands too.

It's like "Iron Maiden and Metallica are 2 of the best metal bands ever"

"Are you kidding me? Have you ever heard Algebraic Equation? or Jaws of Pain? Those bands could kick their ass!"

So, anyway I like your list. Anything with tons of Tallics, Sabbath, Maiden, Sabbath, Anthrax and Megadeth on it is fine with me!

I think in terms of "mainstream" metal, that's an excellent list. See, those are the bands I like listening to, too. But it's hard to group in other lesser known bands too.

It's like "Iron Maiden and Metallica are 2 of the best metal bands ever"

"Are you kidding me? Have you ever heard Algebraic Equation? or Jaws of Pain? Those bands could kick their ass!"

So, anyway I like your list. Anything with tons of Tallics, Sabbath, Maiden, Sabbath, Anthrax and Megadeth on it is fine with me!

Yeah, mainstream metal is what I'm all about. Sepultura, Slayer, and Pantera is about as heavy as I'll get, as I've never been a fan of death/black metal. I'm kind of regretting not having anything by Accept on there, because I love "Fast as a Shark."

Oh, yeah, you had Sabbath listed twice :P

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Acid Bath isn't a myriad sub-genre metal band. Everyone can listen to Acid Bath. Listen to Acid Bath. They're Your favorite band. Acid Bath.

Hmmm, No Morbid Angel? Or Venom? Or Celtic Frost? Or Corrosion of Conformity? Or Death Angel (Act III, absolute masterpiece) Though you did remember Fate.

And I raise an eyebrow to the album that signified the beginning of the end, the Metallicia Black album. I had never been so disappointed with an album in my life. I even pre-ordered the damn thing so that i's be gaurenteed a copy.

I read this about Acid Bath on allmusic.com today:

"When the Kite String Pops"

"Acid Bath's debut is a malicious and sometimes downright disturbing album that defies easy categorization. They stitch together elements of death metal, '70s hard rock, thrashing hardcore punk and Black Sabbath-esque sludge into multi-sectioned songs that are both intricate and often surprisingly melodic. The production, especially the compressed drums and often-processed vocals, adds an industrial feel that increases the album's menacing vibe. "The Blue" kicks things off with a bluesy swamp metal riff before smoothly winding its way through a maze of tempo and riff change-ups, while the closer, "Cassie Eats Cockroaches," weaves spoken word samples and screaming vocals in and out of complex, Southern-flavored death metal riffing and precision double-bass drumming. Elsewhere, the songs range from full-on assaults ("Cheap Vodka" and "Toubabo Koomi") to creepy ballads, namely the goth-tinged "Scream of the Butterfly" and the largely acoustic "The Bones of Baby Dolls." Vocalist Dax Riggs handles this diverse material well, switching between distorted screams and a melodic croon reminiscent of Jim Morrison or Glen Danzig. His not-for-the-squeamish lyrics address such topics as drug abuse, rape, abortion, death, and self-loathing, but for the most part do so in an artful, vividly poetic manner. While it would have been stronger if a few of the weaker songs had been left off, When the Kite String Pops is still an excellent, diverse metal album that remains unlike much else, even years after it release."

And AoO, did you get your screen name from the new band that one of their ex-members formed?

Guest Blas
Except that they were metal and carried mainstream metal on their backs throughout a good portion of the nineties. Regardless of what you think of them as musicians, they deserve respect for what they did for metal.

If it's strictly an opinion thing then of course they can be excluded if you don't enjoy them.

They did nothing respectable. They would've still been a glam band if it wasn't for Exhorder.

My Top Five..

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

One of the albums that got the metal ball rollin'

Possessed - Seven Churches

Helped create the Death Metal scene in the 80s. One of the very first DM albums, and they're not even from Florida or Sweden!

Exodus - Bonded By Blood

The best thrash album to come out the Bay Area, or really any area. Metallica's early sound on Kill 'Em All really owes a lot to Exodus.

Bathory - Bathory

The album that created Black Metal. Venom - Black Metal gave it a name, but Bathory gave it a fucken sound.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

NWOBHM and Power Metal influencer. No need to explain Maiden.

Honorable mentions:

Seance - Fornever Laid To Rest

Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty

Tankard - Zombie Attack

Kreator - Endless Pain

Grave - Into The Grave

Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream

Entombed - Left Hand Path

Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Venom - Black Metal

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican

Mayhem - Live in Leipzig

Metallica - Kill 'Em All

Deicide - Legion

Vader - De Profundis

Motörhead - Overkill

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Coroner - Death Cult EP

Burzum - Burzum

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law

And I raise an eyebrow that signified the beginning of the end, the Metallicia Black album. I had never been so disappointed with an album in my life. I even pre-ordered the damn thing so that i's be gaurenteed a copy.

Yeah, I like the Black album okay, but I think it led to the some of the garbage we hear on the radio today, "mainstream" mainstream metal (catch my drift?) Radio accessible garbage like Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, some of Korn's stuff, Godsmac, etc.

But then again, I have "Love at First Sting" on my list, but hey, I like "Rock You Like a Hurricane", it's a good "dumb" metal song.

As for Venom, Celtic Frost, etc., most assuredly they would be on a top 100 list, but I haven't really listened to anything by either of those bands lately anyway.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Blas brings the old school. That's a good list if you're ignoring everything after 1990.

That's a pretty good summary of Acid Bath, although I don't buy this whole "weak track" business. That's more like their follow up.

And yes, I got my screen name from Dax Riggs' now defunct after-project. He's had another one since then called Deadboy and the Elephant Men, also, though your mileage may vary on those two bands.

I really like Agents, and am largely unfamiliar with Deadboy, but the post Acid Bath splinter band is Goatwhore.

AoO, what I really want to know is based on the list above, would I be wasting my money by purchasing this disc, again basing this on the bands I have listed above?

Also, what's your opinion on Down II? I had heard NOLA kicks ass from numerous people, but that Down II sucks the meat missile. Is this entirely true?

They did nothing respectable

First metal band to debut at number 1. I'd say that helps the hell out of the scene and is pretty respectable

Vocalist Dax Riggs handles this diverse material well, switching between distorted screams and a melodic croon reminiscent of Jim Morrison or Glen Danzig.

That's a pretty lazy comparison.

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

I don't think I'll ever understand how people can pick pre "Heart Of Winter" Immortal as being superior to post. While somewhat diverse, those early albums were so paint by numbers a lot of times. While "At The Heart Of Winter" helped to redefine the genre and take it to a place of insane headbangability.

ACID BATH

Guest Blas
First metal band to debut at number 1. I'd say that helps the hell out of the scene and is pretty respectable

Debuting at number 1 doesn't mean jackshit in metal, really. I guess I'm just super biased, they've always been Exhorder-Lite to me.

I don't think I'll ever understand how people can pick pre "Heart Of Winter" Immortal as being superior to post. While somewhat diverse, those early albums were so paint by numbers a lot of times. While "At The Heart Of Winter" helped to redefine the genre and take it to a place of insane headbangability.

In my list I was goin' towards older albums, and for a "true" black metal album, "Pure Holocaust" is a good choice. That's not saying "At The Heart Of Winter", "Damned in Black", and "Sons of Northern Darkness" aren't good albums, I enjoy the fuck out of those.

I understand, but don't necessarily agree with, the pantera bias, but debuting at number one for what really was an intense metal album is nothing to scoff at(in north america anyway). After Metallica went hard rock, Pantera carried metal on its shoulders as far as commercial exposure goes for most of the 90's.

Nowadays debuting number 1 for a metal band isn't a big thing. But then you get into the whole Metal Vs Nu arguement anyway which clouds the achievement.

And now that I understand that you were going for retro picks, I will not go against your Immortal pick.

I will question your Mayhem pick of Live in Liepzig though since it is all mayhem radio for me today going from De Mysteriis up to Chimera...I just can't really see a live album outweighing the studio efforts.

Guest Blas
I will question your Mayhem pick of Live in Liepzig though since it is all mayhem radio for me today going from De Mysteriis up to Chimera...I just can't really see a live album outweighing the studio efforts.

Their first two full length releases were live albums, and they were great.

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, I really hated that album. Their demos, and their two live albums completely destroy Mysteriis. I haven't liked anything Mayhem has done since that album, except Chimera. Chimera rules.

For me I can't mention Chimera withouth bringing up Wolf's Lair Abyss since Chimera pretty much follows that mold. At this point I still like Wolf's...better.

As far as De Mysteriis goes, it's a love hate album because everything that is done is taken to such an extreme. I happen to really enjoy the torture of monks vocals.

2. Anathema - Judgement. Angelslayer will give me shit for calling this metal, but I've decided I don't give a damn. This is metal.

Is not

My top 10 is hard to say... what was my top 5 five years ago is not the same as 3 years ago is not the same as even a year ago... so I rifled through my CD collection, thinking about what CDs I've always come back to time and time again, no matter what the genre, or what mood I may be in...

For lack of any ability to put them in preferential order, I've put them in alphabetical order

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder

Death - Symbolic

Fates Warning - Parallels

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

Nevermore - Nevermore

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

Savatage - Streets

Virgin Steele - Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force