TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest glennsoe

Possible Summerslam Location Revealed

Guest glennsoe

* I Found this news here (http://www.wrestlingexposed.com/headlines/2919.shtml) - but since they didn't credit anyone, I don't know the source)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Miami Herald, Tampa is in the running to hold this year's Summer Slam PPV at Tropicana Field.

If the scheduling concerns are worked out between the Devil Rays and WWE then it appears as though that is where the event will be held. Tropicana holds up wards of 45k people, so the WWE could expect a big gate if they are able to secure the location.

Guest Askewniverse

Why did you start a separate thread for this? Wouldn't it have been more efficient if you put the Bret Hart news and this all in one thread? Besides, this news is just speculation for now. There isn't even a credible source provided.

Personally, I'd like to see this year's SummerSlam held in Toronto. If WWE is worried about slow ticket sales, they could hold SummerSlam at the Air Canada Center instead of SkyDome.

Guest Fook
* I Found this news here (http://www.wrestlingexposed.com/headlines/2919.shtml) - but since they didn't credit anyone, I don't know the source)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Miami Herald, Tampa is in the running to hold this year's Summer Slam PPV at Tropicana Field.

If the scheduling concerns are worked out between the Devil Rays and WWE then it appears as though that is where the event will be held. Tropicana holds up wards of 45k people, so the WWE could expect a big gate if they are able to secure the location.

<_<

I'd say a major metropolitan newspaper qualifies as a source.

Guest Choken One
Why did you start a separate thread for this? Wouldn't it have been more efficient if you put the Bret Hart news and this all in one thread? Besides, this news is just speculation for now. There isn't even a credible source provided.

Personally, I'd like to see this year's SummerSlam held in Toronto. If WWE is worried about slow ticket sales, they could hold SummerSlam at the Air Canada Center instead of SkyDome.

No.

Im sick of Toronto.

When was the last Tampa Show?

Exactly...

Fuck I still want the Hawaii show...on a fucking CLIFF overlooking the ocean.

Guest Jimbo

Summerslam needs to be in Hawaii.

What's so "Summer'ry" about Toronto?

Nothing, that's what.

Hawaii IS Summer.

Summerslam in Tampa...eh.

Only holds 45k, though? Sounds pretty small for a dome.

Summerslam needs to be in Hawaii.

What's so "Summer'ry" about Toronto?

Nothing, that's what.

Hawaii IS Summer.

Summerslam in Tampa...eh.

Only holds 45k, though? Sounds pretty small for a dome.

That's 45,000 without seats on the ground all the way up to ringside. It's SummerSlam so having it in a bigger than usual location, but not as big as WrestleMania (except this year) makes sense.

I wouldn't mind if the WWE held a major PPV in London. The fans would likely be pumped, and it would definitely make for a unique feel for a PPV event.

Also, I wouldn't mind if they held a Raw in something similar to the old WCW Spring Break shows. I always looked forward to those, and it would be a slight change of pace from holding it in some stuffy arena each week.

I vote for Toronto. Rochester (where I reside) and Toronto just got a Fast Ferry that takes people back and forth from the two cities, so I'm sure a bunch of people from the Rochester market would go up for SummerSlam.

<_<

What if it's the New York Post?

Guest Choken One
I vote for Toronto. Rochester (where I reside) and Toronto just got a Fast Ferry that takes people back and forth from the two cities, so I'm sure a bunch of people from the Rochester market would go up for SummerSlam.

ooh...The Rochester market is a freaking hotbed attraction to draw...forget a new scene and a bigger dome, LETS BRING IN THE ROCHESTERITES.

Tropicana Field is the perfect location for Summerslam this year. Not too big, but bigger than normal Pay Per Views AND the fact it will be Summer time and Tampa is a good location for it.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Tropicana Field is great, but I thought that Toronto was a shoe-in.

What with Edge and all...

There have been so many threads about this over the last year, and every freaking time, Tampa gets mentioned and every freaking time, I have to remind people of a little history:

WWE looked to have WrestleMania at Tropicana Field a couple years ago (18, I think). But after WWE officials went to Tampa to survey the venue, they realized that there would be a half-mile walk from the locker room to the ring, meaning logistically, the venue was a no-go.

So, one more time: Unless significant renovations have been made to Tropicana in the last couple years, SUMMERSLAM IN TAMPA IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Edge is soon going to be from Florida anyway.

Edge is soon going to be from Florida anyway.

You'd think that a lot of WWE Superstars are ashamed of Canada, wouldn't you?

;)

Guest Nanks

That, or they're just being announced as where they're actually living now.

Regardless of that, I have a sneaking suspiscion that someone other than the actual superstar determines what's announced.

That, or they're just being announced as where they're actually living now.

Regardless of that, I have a sneaking suspiscion that someone other than the actual superstar determines what's announced.

Even so - they're all moving. Never mind, I'm just beating a dead horse.

I don't think that the Superstar determines where they are announced from either - it falls into the "creative control" category of a character, something that Vince wants complete power over.

I vote for Toronto. Rochester (where I reside) and Toronto just got a  Fast Ferry  that takes people back and forth from the two cities, so I'm sure a bunch of people from the Rochester market would go up for SummerSlam.

ooh...The Rochester market is a freaking hotbed attraction to draw...forget a new scene and a bigger dome, LETS BRING IN THE ROCHESTERITES.

I'd say Rochester's scene of wrestling fans is pretty under-rated compared to the rest of the country. I'm not saying anything here would draw tons of people, as we don't have enough people nor the proper venue. However, for being such an obscure city, we have a weekly wrestling radio show (The Pain Clinic) on the big AM Sports Network (and I'm not saying it's the only wrestling talk show anywhere in the country.) We also have a locally produced weekly show on the UPN affliate that shows indy matches from around the country and from right here in Rochester. I believe we have two seperate indy feds based in the city currently, that alternate a big show every other month. And ROH even thought it was an untapped market and ran a show here this past fall. I'm pretty sure it didn't draw enough for a return; and I'm not suprised. We're not the biggest market, but I'd say for being a smaller city, we're actually a pretty rabid and supportive one of pro wrestling.

In conclusion, I still want SummerSlam in Toronto only so I can go.

Even if WWE chose to have Summerslam at Tropicana Field, I don't think they could fill up that many seats without some serious papering. The product is definitely not hot and I don't see WWE doing that kind of business for an event not named Wrestlemania.

WWE looked to have WrestleMania at Tropicana Field a couple years ago (18, I think). But after WWE officials went to Tampa to survey the venue, they realized that there would be a half-mile walk from the locker room to the ring, meaning logistically, the venue was a no-go.

So, one more time: Unless significant renovations have been made to Tropicana in the last couple years, SUMMERSLAM IN TAMPA IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Yep, you are right...that was the location of Wrestlemania X-8...

I also read a rumor that they were going to use the mini rings to bring the wrestlers to the ring if that location was chosen, but plans fell through...and with the mile walk to the ring...it just went down hill from there...

But, they may just revisit that idea and have it there...

SmackDown's going to be in Toronto in June, so I'd say that probably lessens the possibilities of SummerSlam being there, too. The Blue Jays play at home most weekends in August, anyway (including the Sunday that SummerSlam is tentatively scheduled), so SkyDome would probably be out of the question, anyway.

I don't know about Tropicana Field, but if they want to have it in Tampa, they can always have it in the hockey rink there. But, even if there's a mile walk from the dressing room to the entrances at the Trop, couldn't they just use golf carts to shuttle the guys from one place to the other?

<_<

What if it's the New York Post?

Everybody knows that the Post should fuck off.

Guest Vitamin X

I think South Florida is an extremely lucrative market for WWE to tap into... I've seen way more people around here into pro wrestling and even more, not ashamed of it, than when I was living back in Los Angeles.

Why don't they find someplace here around the Miami area? Tampa would be fine but I have to drive across the state and that would suck. Especially since I don't know anyone around here who'd probably be willing to pay WWE's ridiculous ticket price to go there for silly little Summerslam.