TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Well, I guess I should be happy that the sound was screwed up on my feed and I didn't quite get a clear channel for Scooter's 15 second tutorial on the knuckleball. The visuals were painful enough.

Dear god, they're going to play it again.

*Readies mute button*

And of course, they miss a play while doing it. Morons.

Guest OctoberBlood
I call bullshit as well.  Every game is important to a real baseball fan.  Within the context of a pennant race?  Not really.  But each game has meaning.

Exactly.

EVERY GAME COUNTS AND HAS MEANING.

Goddamn I'm having flashbacks to 1999 now.

Thanks alot Fellas. :(

And no, I'm not watching Sox/Yanks. I'm watching TBS EXTRA, Braves vs. Marlins. Much more fun.

Guest OctoberBlood
How fitting that on one of the few nights I'm behind the Yankees (for fantasy team reasons), they're getting spanked.

You should get behind them more often. :)

But .. I have Javier Vazquez on one of my teams too. Bleh.

Guest FrigidSoul

How do you say "Jeff Weaver" in spanish? Why "Javier Vasquez" of course.

Okay, that had to be one of the funniest errors I've ever seen in baseball. The Sox look to be out of the inning and Ramirez completely misses the ball, even though he had the longest time to catch it. I was surprised that the crowd wasn't going crazy on the ball being hit, but maybe they sense that Manny isn't exactly a great fielder.

I've always wondered how a fastball works. Fox sucks.

They managed to piss me off with that saves stat. First off, saves are nothing more than a meaningless number. Second, and most important, you can not use saves to compare closers and set-up men! Set-up men gather save opportunities, but don't stay in to gather saves. They get holds instead. I hate this intentional misuse of statistics.

Hopefully by the time hockey's done the Jays have stopped the bleeding. Still haven't won at home, too bad they couldn't have saved some of that offense from yesterday in Detroit.

Guest Anglesault

Now, I'm trying to stay calm but failing miserably.

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.

I have not been happy with ONE GAME that the Yankees have played since they got back from Japan.

Interesting games tomorrow.......

New York @ Boston

Mussina vs. Schilling

Los Angeles @ San Francisco

Lima vs. Rueter

The "which pitcher will collapse first" contest

Florida @ Atlanta

Beckett vs. Ortiz

Guest Anglesault
Interesting games tomorrow.......

New York @ Boston

Mussina vs. Schilling

Interesting? The Yankees can't hit a god damn thing, let alone Curt Schilling, and Mussina had been bad all three starts.

Im mad I didn't start Riley in the H2H league but I didn't want to chance it off his last start which was ugly.

And tomorrow Os/Jays its going to be Kurt Ainsworth vs Josh Towers. Towers hasn't pitched yet this season and could be on a pitch count.

The Orioles have scored 23 runs in their last 2 days.

I wasn't going to watch the game at all but reading how bad Scooter was I tuned in just for the trainwreck value of it. Only was able to stomach two minutes of YANKS/SAWX and Tim McCarver before I changed it and didn't see Scooter.

Guest FrigidSoul

Me and Al discussed much better options than Scooter. I'm too lazy to put it down but it was good stuff.

Meanwhile in AAA.. someone is just totally kicking ass.

His name is Calvin Pickering. He's a left-handed first baseman/DH for the AAA Omaha Royals.

Here are his numbers so far:

he's played in 8 games

He's scored 11 runs

He has 13 hits in 24 at-bats (.542)

He has one double and two singles

He's hit 10 home runs

Yes. He has hit 10 home runs already.

That's good for 44 total bases and 23 runs batted in.

He has a 1.833 slugging percentage right now.

Odds are, he will slow down.

But, he will have plenty of time to kick ass, since the Royals have two good first basemen (Sweeney and Ken Harvey) and Matt Stairs is also on the team. But, if Stairs gets hurt, Pickering might make it to Kansas City.

I'd rather let him go on to hit 50+ home runs in AAA.

Or, I'd trade him to a stupid team

Those numbers aren't an abberation. Pickering really can crush the ball. He hit 21 home runs in AAA in 2001, missed 2002, and hit 25 home runs in 291 at bats in Mexico in 2003. The only think that's held him back are his injuries, and his weight (Pickering is legitimately close to 300 lbs). BPro said he's better than Ken Harvey.

You'd rather trade him and keep Ken Harvey? Err, okay. I say call up Bill Bavasi and ask him if he wants Harvey and/or Desi Relaford.

Mariners now 2-8. Bavasi is probably wondering if he can still get Omar Vizquel.