TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

Gamefaqs- Best. Game. Ever tourney

Wins and losses matter because baseball teams are trying to win. If they were just trying to put on a show, it would be like wrestling. Benoit could lose 119 times and still be the best. So could RVD. :)

A game can be more influential and not be one of the best ever. Mortal Kombat is one of the most influential video games of the 90's and I'm sure many would dispute calling MK one of the best games ever.

Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.

...according to Spike TV, probably.

It was a Billy Madison reference.

What was the hockey game Brody was playing when his girlfriend left him in Mallrats? NHL 94?

Strip away the Mario characters and SMRPG is just a brief, quite entertaining, but ultimately not-that-great a game.

According to you.

Well that is what it was. You don't need to have a radical taste of games to reach that conclusion.

But apparently a lot of people disagree, for whatever reason...but I'm not going to complain about it or suggest that anyone who voted is wrong and must be a fanboy.

Because you are a fangirl perhaps?

Mortal Kombat is one of the most influential video games of the 90's

Eh...not sure if I agree with you there. I fail to see its influence outside all the gore. It was much more controversial then it was influential.

Just a question, do you own a copy of the bouncer?

Eh...not sure if I agree with you there. I fail to see its influence outside all the gore. It was much more controversial then it was influential.

It is both controversial and influential.

It, along with DOOM and Night Trap, started the whole "violence in games" debate which is still relevant today, a decade later. It also brought about the formation of the ESRB which is still around.

On a lesser scale it influenced a ton of fighting games.

Because you are a fangirl perhaps?

WTF? Of what? Super Mario RPG? I don't like Mario RPG and I own like 30 different versions of Street Fighter(and I mean that literally)....bias against SF or for Mario RPG has nothing to do with it.

I don't care because it's just a Gamefaqs popularity contest and someone thinking Mario RPG > SF II is not all that outlandish or horrible.

This doesn't even make sense. I'm a fangirl because I don't get upset over my favorite games losing a Gamefaqs poll.....right...

Just a question, do you own a copy of the bouncer?

Yeah.

What's your point?

The hell!? Sakura, do you have half of your fucking house dedicated to storing video games or something? Your gaming library sounds massive, to the point where I'm surprised to can afford to live and have that many games. All that shit couldn't of been cheap.

UYI

I have a room with my PC, TVs and games. My actual bedroom and other rooms in the house don't have any game stuff.

A lot of it is cheap. You can get old 16 bit stuff for like 10 dollars or less. Also a bunch, like the SF stuff, was bought over the course of many years.

Must have a lot of male friends. I can't think of anything cooler than just chillin' over at my friends place, drinking and playing video games, on those nights where you just don't feel like going out.

UYI

I don't think so. Actually I don't think much about Mario RPG at all. I wouldn't have made it a nominee, let alone voted for it.

But apparently a lot of people disagree, for whatever reason...but I'm not going to complain about it or suggest that anyone who voted is wrong and must be a fanboy.

But then again, I would vote for VII just because it is by Square according to you. So what do I know?

I hate Adam Sandler and his unfunny movies, but that little kid in Billy Madison is cool. He is also right, MK is better than Donkey Kong.

Of course, you like Square. So you aren't like myself and others who find Square to be perhaps the most overrated game developer around (maybe behind Electronic Arts), and hence find the blatant Square love annoying.

Square has so many hits and is extremely popular despite a dearth of new good games, innovative ideas, or even decent gameplay.

You said you'd vote VII over just about anything. That has to be a joke. It can't be the gameplay, story, characters, or overall polish and quality.

I didn't say you specifically, but it is the only explanation for why Square continues to shovel absolute crap out there and people eat it up.

So, what's so great about a movie with a kid with lousy taste in games?

"Just a question, do you own a copy of the bouncer?"

Yeah.

What's your point?

Square can take a crack at any genre and put out a ridiculously mediocre, or flat out terrible product, and people like it because they dig crappy movie games and the same rehashed Square character designs--I think that is what his point was, anyway.

It is both controversial and influential.

It, along with DOOM and Night Trap, started the whole "violence in games" debate which is still relevant today, a decade later. It also brought about the formation of the ESRB which is still around.

On a lesser scale it influenced a ton of fighting games.

Doom was good, and was influential in the sense that it popularized a genre, inspiring tons of good games.

Night Trap sucked, and was only notable for the violence, and was a style of "game" that should have never been created in the first place.

MK was influential in the sense that tons of really bad knockoffs came about, none of them actually any good. In and of itself, MK wasn't a very good fighting game, either.

SFII influenced a lot of fighting games, far more than MK, and a lot of them were actually good as well.

According to you.

I'm not going to take a wishy-washy approach to it. Pretty much any rational person would come to the same conclusion. If some one says "Final Fantasy VII is better than Chrono Trigger" I still think they're wrong, but if they have some good reasons--probably just gameplay preferences, I can buy it. If they say "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is better than Chrono Trigger," I'm going to think they're full of crap.

There was nothing in SMRPG that hadn't been done before, it was ridiculously easy, and ultimately the appeal had more to do with the Mario premise and world than it had to do with the game itself. Also, yes, there was a great deal of charm to it kind of like Earthbound, but that game had other elements that set it apart from the typical 16-bit RPGs.

WTF? Of what? Super Mario RPG? I don't like Mario RPG and I own like 30 different versions of Street Fighter(and I mean that literally)....bias against SF or for Mario RPG has nothing to do with it.

I liked Super Mario RPG, so I think I'm a little more qualified to comment on it than you. I still see nothing to substantiate it being greater than SFII.

I don't care because it's just a Gamefaqs popularity contest and someone thinking Mario RPG > SF II is not all that outlandish or horrible.

It is outlandish.

It's supposed to be "best game ever" not a "popularity contest," and that's been mentioned already.

If you don't care though, why are you even posting about this?

Of course...

You came to GameFAQs looking for a contest dealing with the so-called "Best Game Ever" and expected said contest to exhibit integrity, rationality, fairness, and proper respect to games that obviously deserve it?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Not happening here!

Of course...

You came to GameFAQs looking for a contest dealing with the so-called "Best Game Ever" and expected said contest to exhibit integrity, rationality, fairness, and proper respect to games that obviously deserve it?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Not happening here!

Since everyone is pissed off with GameFAQs "Best Game Ever!", why don't we just start one of our own?

I mean, really now. Not that hard people. If you want, I can run that and my other two polls as well. Does that sound better?

TOMB RAIDER FOR WINNAH!

Don't even joke about that.

We all know Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past are the favorites in our own gaming thing.

TOMB RAIDER FOR WINNAH!

Don't even joke about that.

We all know Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past are the favorites in our own gaming thing.

What about Super Metroid?

Super Metroid will be the dark horse. But will still get there.

Although, if we are doing a TSM Greatest Game Ever Thread, I'm using my freaking sorting hat. Evil little bastard it is and will do finely to set us up some great match ups.

If you want to do it wait till the RPG rounds finish flik. Having 3 different tourneys is a bit too much.

Agreed.

I still need to vote in the current rounds, since they went up a little late and I have been majorly busy this week.

Besides, it'll be better after FFVII has taken the whole GameFAQs tournament.

As for the beefs about the GameFAQs one...okay, something like Sonic over Shining Force is expected. Or Super Metroid over Shining Force. Persons who know what the games are about may be torn, however the votes are given only to the most popular titles, so the whole premise is flawed because game quality isn't the primary factor.

However, something like Super Mario RPG vs. SFII...they're not even in the same league, and game itself isn't extraordinarily popular, but it was a Square game that licensed popular Mario characters, and didn't completely suck, so it some how gets way more votes. That's unexpected.

Doing a tournament here would be fine, but there are still going to be games winning just because they're more popular, not necessarily better.

River City Ransom deserved more votes, for instance.

Although, if we are doing a TSM Greatest Game Ever Thread, I'm using my freaking sorting hat. Evil little bastard it is and will do finely to set us up some great match ups.

What, praytell, will happen in the event of a tie?

:P

First Round, there will have to be an odd amount of votes. If not, I'll find someone to vote to make it an odd vote.

All Rounds thereafter: If there is a tie, then the previous votes will come into play and the total amount of votes of whoever has more will advance.

If there's a tie for the Second or more Rounds, refer to Round One. I doubt I'll have a problem besides Round One.

:P

First Round, there will have to be an odd amount of votes. If not, I'll find someone to vote to make it an odd vote.

All Rounds thereafter: If there is a tie, then the previous votes will come into play and the total amount of votes of whoever has more will advance.

But what if a game faced something like Zelda: A link to the past in the first round and another game faced War Gods. Why don't you just throw the ties back in the tourny if you can't find someone to break them?

"But what if a game faced something like Zelda: A link to the past in the first round and another game faced War Gods. Why don't you just throw the ties back in the tourny if you can't find someone to break them? "

Good idea. ^^

There was nothing in SMRPG that hadn't been done before, it was ridiculously easy, and ultimately the appeal had more to do with the Mario premise and world than it had to do with the game itself.

Actually, I don't remember any RPG before Mario RPG utilizing a timing-based system for critical hits on combat, but I could be wrong. Is that what you're referring to, or are there other things that you have in mind?

Also, yes, there was a great deal of charm to it kind of like Earthbound, but that game had other elements that set it apart from the typical 16-bit RPGs.

Care to elaborate on these? Because, outside of the premise of the game, I'm not really seeing Earthbound bringing anything spectacular to the genre.

"But what if a game faced something like Zelda: A link to the past in the first round and another game faced War Gods. Why don't you just throw the ties back in the tourny if you can't find someone to break them? "

Good idea. ^^

If there is a tie, for the next round there will be a three way, or possibly a four way. That's why.

Unless you mean having a "Tiebreaker" Round inbetween other rounds, which means many more rounds.

You said you'd vote VII over just about anything.  That has to be a joke.  It can't be the gameplay, story, characters, or overall polish and quality.

Why can't it be? I like the gameplay, stories, characters, and overall polish and quality.

I didn't say you specifically, but it is the only explanation for why Square continues to shovel absolute crap out there and people eat it up.

Here's another explanation......maybe they like the games?

Square can take a crack at any genre and put out a ridiculously mediocre, or flat out terrible product, and people like it because they dig crappy movie games and the same rehashed Square character designs--I think that is what his point was, anyway.

Then that's a weak point. I don't own Bouncer because it's Square.

Doom was good, and was influential in the sense that it popularized a genre, inspiring tons of good games.

Night Trap sucked, and was only notable for the violence, and was a style of "game" that should have never been created in the first place.

MK was influential in the sense that tons of really bad knockoffs came about, none of them actually any good.  In and of itself, MK wasn't a very good fighting game, either.

You just ignored the main point.

If you don't care though, why are you even posting about this?

I don't care if someone votes against SF II. Doesn't mean I don't care about all the comments.

There was nothing in SMRPG that hadn't been done before, it was ridiculously easy, and ultimately the appeal had more to do with the Mario premise and world than it had to do with the game itself.

Actually, I don't remember any RPG before Mario RPG utilizing a timing-based system for critical hits on combat, but I could be wrong. Is that what you're referring to, or are there other things that you have in mind?

Also, yes, there was a great deal of charm to it kind of like Earthbound, but that game had other elements that set it apart from the typical 16-bit RPGs.

Care to elaborate on these? Because, outside of the premise of the game, I'm not really seeing Earthbound bringing anything spectacular to the genre.

Tales of Phantasia allowed for multiple-hit attacks and combos, because it was a real-time style system although it still went to a separate sub-screen for battles. Not exactly the same, but accomplishes the same objective.

Although more similar to what you mean can be found in Beyond the Beyond and FFVIII--games not viewed as particularly great. When something like that is a part of gameplay, do you make the game harder if it is easy to pull off, or make it with the regular hits in mind and cause anyone skilled with the criticals to breeze through the game?

Mario RPG was already easy, so while it was a cool feature, it made the game even more of a breeze. Other than that, SMRPG pretty much a typical Square RPG, where you jump sometimes, and it's over really, really quickly.

As for Earthbound and outside of the premise--

Enemies are on the screen and visible, and you can sneak up from behind and kill them without having to fight. It's tricky but possible.

When you take a hit, your hit points tick down rather than all of the damage points registering immediately. So you can actually go into panic mode and finish a battle before you're dead, even though technically you may be out of points. There may then be a race against time to get to your next heal spell/item.

You can order a pizza by phone, add condiments to food to boost the HP you'll recover, etc. When you need to accomplish a certain task, there's usually a logical (relatively, of course) solution to it because of the modern setting.

Some of them also may have been done before, of course, so whether or not you think it is "spectacular" or not may vary.

Why can't it be? I like the gameplay, stories, characters, and overall polish and quality.

Because FFVII is outclassed in all counts by tons of other RPGs, and that's just games within the genre. So that's a weak reason to vote it as "best game ever" when it can't stack up to the competition in its own genre in regards to quality.

Here's another explanation......maybe they like the games?

Popular does not automatically = "good." Please avoid making this fallacy in the future. It's the same one the contest makers made. Plus, most of their devotees seem to have no idea there are so many better games out there that put Square's to shame.

You just ignored the main point.

MK's influence on game ratings is pretty well known. However, its influence within the game community on other games and its genre--you know, the point that matters--was what I was referring to.

Because FFVII is outclassed in all counts by tons of other RPGs, and that's just games within the genre. So that's a weak reason to vote it as "best game ever" when it can't stack up to the competition in its own genre in regards to quality.

Yeah...except FF VII isn't outclassed by tons of RPGS, if any at all. The characters, story, gameplay, music and presentation is among the best EVER seen in gaming, of any genre. I think that's a pretty good reason to name it best game ever.

Popular does not automatically = "good." Please avoid making this fallacy in the future.

This makes no sense.

You said the only reason people keep buying Square games is because they're Square games. I brought up the remote possibility that maybe, just maybe, people buy Square games because they like playing Square games(a crazy theory, I know).

MK's influence on game ratings is pretty well known. However, its influence within the game community on other games and its genre--you know, the point that matters--was what I was referring to.

It's influence on games in it's genre is quite extensive. Basically every modern fighting game now uses it's combo system, both 2D and 3D, many use it's block button, and the list of clones that spawned off is too long to type out, including hits like Killer Instinct and Primal Rage.

Of course you personally don't like any of the games, you don't like juggling in new 2D fighters and all that so it "doesn't count" or whatever. :rolleyes:

More importantly, you're missing the big picture on the ratings thing. The violence issue influenced games outside it's genre. MK paved the way for other games with "mature", violent themes, like GTA, Resident Evil and countless other franchises from many different genres.

Yeah...except FF VII isn't outclassed by tons of RPGS, if any at all. The characters, story, gameplay, music and presentation is among the best EVER seen in gaming, of any genre. I think that's a pretty good reason to name it best game ever.

You are so deluded it isn't even funny.

Popular does not automatically = "good." Please avoid making this fallacy in the future.

This makes no sense.

You said the only reason people keep buying Square games is because they're Square games. I brought up the remote possibility that maybe, just maybe, people buy Square games because they like playing Square games(a crazy theory, I know).

Which only makes since if they never played anything else, because Square's pretty damn mediocre at about every genre they try.

It's influence on games in it's genre is quite extensive. Basically every modern fighting game now uses it's combo system, both 2D and 3D, many use it's block button, and the list of clones that spawned off is too long to type out, including hits like Killer Instinct and Primal Rage.

The use of a block button is mainly confined to 3D fighters because, you know, Virtua Fighter did it, and it was more sensible in a 3D environment rather than 2D?

Juggles--I'll give you that.

Almost all of the clones suck, and aside from the fatalities KI rips off Street Fighter far more than it does MK or at least just as much. Not that KI is actually a good game, either.

More importantly, you're missing the big picture on the ratings thing. The violence issue influenced games outside it's genre. MK paved the way for other games with "mature", violent themes, like GTA, Resident Evil and countless other franchises from many different genres.

As we established, it wasn't the only game like that, just the most popular. Even if it hadn't been around, things wouldn't have been much different, if at all.

As we established, it wasn't the only game like that, just the most popular. Even if it hadn't been around, things wouldn't have been much different, if at all.

And the fact that MK was never over in Japan. I fail to see how it influenced RE.

You are so deluded it isn't even funny

Which only makes since if they never played anything else, because Square's pretty damn mediocre at about every genre they try.

I say they're good. You say they're not. Somehow your word is like god....so I lose. :(

The use of a block button is mainly confined to 3D fighters because, you know, Virtua Fighter did it, and it was more sensible in a 3D environment rather than 2D?

So?

Almost all of the clones suck, and aside from the fatalities KI rips off Street Fighter far more than it does MK or at least just as much. Not that KI is actually a good game, either.

Of course all the clones suck. AndrewTS says they suck so that just nullifies all the games MK influenced. Ok.

It uses SF II's button layout and other things, but KI's presentation and retaliation heavy gameplay is pure MK. Plus KI is really good.

As we established, it wasn't the only game like that, just the most popular.

The same goes with SF II. The game that does it the best and enough to get noticed is the game that gets credit for innovating, the way it always is.

And the fact that MK was never over in Japan.

Right. The Japanese have no idea what MK is. It's not like Japanese companies were directly involved with the MK controversey or that Japanese companies developed MK clones after MK's popularity. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how it influenced RE.

Even if it hadn't been around, things wouldn't have been much different, if at all.

Look at gaming pre MK and post MK.

If you cannot see the difference in the content, popularity and amount of mature games after it's release, the congressional hearing and the ratings system then I don't know what to tell you.