TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Klitschko/Sanders

HBO Analysts: The crowd has chosen their champion!

Crowd: .....

It's a great victory, but it doesn't in my eyes make him THE champion. Sanders was out of shape and took him to 8 rounds.

well it took him 8 rounds for a variety of reasons. Vitali was cautious and rightfully so. He knew Sanders was trying to lure him into trading shots, so he could try and just land one big one and go from there, but Vitali was too smart for that, well too smart AFTER it happened the first time..... :D

Plus, I mean, some guys just have chins. George Foreman even at 40 was never getting knocked down/out even though he was getting pummeled every round and just getting beat on, same with Ray Mercer.

Except for the WBC, the belt that Vitali has.

Even the WBC. They have no pull as far as I am concerned.

Plus, I mean, some guys just have chins. George Foreman even at 40 was never getting knocked down/out even though he was getting pummeled every round and just getting beat on, same with Ray Mercer.

George Foreman's KO at the hands of Ali is the ONLY time he was ever knocked out. I find that amazing.

When it comes to the Heavyweight division, Vitali may be the champ, even if he also has a loss to Chris Byrd.

Klitschko was rolling over Byrd in their first fight.

How would you think a Ruiz/Vitali fight would go?

Vitali's defense doesn't impress me very much, he leaves himself open for shots, hopefully his left hand isn't that far down all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if John Ruiz is able to beat Vitali Klitschko in a fight

Guest TheHulkster

I was off by one round ;)

I thought Vitali fought a helluva fight. He had Sanders where he wanted him at all times and he was able to read Sanders like a book. He earned that belt.

To those that say he defense was lax, just watch his movement in the fight. It shows that he studied Corey Sanders' fights and capitalized on his weaknesses.

Finally, I would like to give a big "F*** You" to Chris "Pat Pat" Byrd. So he should be the #1 guy because Vitali tore his rotator cuff and quit in his fight with Byrd in 2000. Well Wladmir tore Byrd apart after that, and he was beat by Lamon Brewster. Wouldn't you think that would make Lamon Brewster #1 in his diluted mind?

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Somewhere in the back of my mind, i'm thinking that Tyson would roll over both Byrd and Ruiz, but would probably have the toughest time with Vitali.

The WBC must have some pull.

It was there top 2 contenders that Ring magazine let fight for the recognized title.

Vitali was ranked one, and Sanders third. Who else were they going to rank anyway?

Holyfield and even Buster Douglas are other examples.

Big guys don't fear him...and that was his edge.

The problem with that is that Tyson outweighted Holyfield in their first fight. Holyfield started out as as cruiserweight. He's hardly a big guy.

As for bigger fighters, Tyson beat Bonecrusher Smith (233 lbs.), Tyrell Biggs (228), Tony Tubbs (238), Larry Holmes (225), Frank Bruno (247), Razor Ruddock (238 in second fight), Frans Botha (233), Lou Savarese (241), and Brien Nielsen (259). The theory that Tyson couldn't beat bigger men is nonsense. I don't think ANYONE at Tyson's height could beat Lennox Lewis. Buster Douglas was a special case, and Evander Holyfield certainly didn't tower over him.

The WBC must have some pull.

It was there top 2 contenders that Ring magazine let fight for the recognized title.

Vitali was ranked one, and Sanders third. Who else were they going to rank anyway?

Holyfield and even Buster Douglas are other examples.

Big guys don't fear him...and that was his edge.

The problem with that is that Tyson outweighted Holyfield in their first fight. Holyfield started out as as cruiserweight. He's hardly a big guy.

As for bigger fighters, Tyson beat Bonecrusher Smith (233 lbs.), Tyrell Biggs (228), Tony Tubbs (238), Larry Holmes (225), Frank Bruno (247), Razor Ruddock (238 in second fight), Frans Botha (233), Lou Savarese (241), and Brien Nielsen (259). The theory that Tyson couldn't beat bigger men is nonsense. I don't think ANYONE at Tyson's height could beat Lennox Lewis. Buster Douglas was a special case, and Evander Holyfield certainly didn't tower over him.

Most of those fights also took place before Tyson's "nation of islam" days. Sure Tyson could probably work his way back up to a #3 ranking right now, and get a title fight, but he is long gone from being entertaining. I pity the fool that would pay to see him on PPV. He hasn't shown anything IN THE RING to say he is worthy.

But, would Vitali fear Mike Tyson?

I'm not quite sure that Vitali is really that fearless. I'd take Mike Tyson over Corrie Sanders, and Sanders was rocking Vitali in that fight. Tyson might have the firepower left to knock Vitali down

But, would Vitali fear Mike Tyson?

I'm not quite sure that Vitali is really that fearless. I'd take Mike Tyson over Corrie Sanders, and Sanders was rocking Vitali in that fight. Tyson might have the firepower left to knock Vitali down

I still don't understand the "Vitali was getting rocked" point of view. To me, it looked like everytime Sanders landed a shot, Vitali just backed up and held, just like a fighter is trained to do to avoid being hit MORE. I'd say Vitali's sense of balance is more of a question then his chin. Lets not forget Lennox Lewis connect with Vitali's face a LOT more then Sanders did, and Vitali still kept coming forward. Vitali just fought a cautious fight until he was sure Sanders was too tired to do anything. And that first ring fall down was a throwdown.

I agree. I saw Vitali get hit... back up... reorganize and come back in.

Not get hit and then look like a deer in the headlights and get rocked again.

Guest Redhawk

Tyson also beat the shit out of Andrew Golota, who last time I checked was pretty damn big. I know I'm totally biased toward Mike, but with Lennox retired I think he can beat anyone on the heavyweight scene right now. The only two heavys I see giving him trouble are James Toney and Roy Jones.

Aside from the fact he won, Vitali looked like he could still use some improvement. Until the end he was mostly fighting one handed(only looking to land the right), while using a pawing kitty kat jab. Where was the solid hard jab he used on Lewis last year? The Left Hook was absent for most of the fight as well. However, once he did start to use both hands properly the fight was over fast.

Sure, Sanders apparently has a decent chin, but Vitali's problem appeared to be in his attack rather than Sander's defense. Though he was never in any danger of being knocked out, Vitali did take a couple of big shots that he didn't have to take. He had a giant reach advantage on the guy, but often fought him on the inside. And against a better fighter(though there sadly isn't alot), his back paddling when he takes a inside shot could eventually get him in trouble. He needs to learn how to tie smaller guys up on the inside a little better, which is what big guys suppose to do.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Mike Tyson would whip Vitali's ass. Big doesn't beat crazy. History shows us that. Lennox beat him because he's a very intelligent fighter who uses his size and range better than any heavyweight in my memory. Vitali isn't that sharp, and I think Tyson would catch him with his pants down.

It's all about Vitali/Byrd though, so Byrd can finally get beat up decisively for all to see.

Part of me wants to see Golota get a shot, too, so we can see the eastern european mongo battle.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's all he needs. Tyson at fifty will still be able to KO any active heavyweight with one shot.

Tyson in his Prime would have took Lenox Lewis. I like how people don't question his chin. when has Lennox shown he can REALLy take a shot? When a bum like Rahman takes you, you have no right to say you are the greatest of this generation in my eyes. Ohhh...you beat a bunch of guys past thier prime, ran into a guy that wasn't past it in your last match and he gave you hell. Thats how I feel about Lewis.

I still feel that Tyson could have took Lewis last time if he had used his mauling style and used his close power. Instead, he tried to box lewis and that turned out wrong. If Tyson tried to fight Vitali like that he would lose that fight to.

I still think its hard to beat mauling tyson.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

He hasn't really had the chance. Lewis was a total mismatch, and no one else worth a damn will even give him a shot because Tyson's so unpredictable and dangerous. I think he's STILL one of the most dangerous and feared fighters on the planet. If he weren't, they'd be lining up for the chance to floor a legend.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

He hasn't really had the chance. Lewis was a total mismatch, and no one else worth a damn will even give him a shot because Tyson's so unpredictable and dangerous. I think he's STILL one of the most dangerous and feared fighters on the planet. If he weren't, they'd be lining up for the chance to floor a legend.

If Tyson tried to come out roaring against Vitali, he would just get a jab in his face. Tyson's only prayer would be to get inside and have Vitali not back away after getting hit. Tyson is shot. He is not a boxer anymore. Sure he may have some knockout power, but his technique is all but gone. Once you eliminate the intimidation he gives you, he is toast. As far as Lewis goes, yeah he beat a bunch of former greats when they were all in their upper 30's, yet he expects us to get sympathy when the next guy in line wants to fight him when he is getting up there in age? LOL. Lewis's chin is one of the weakest ever for a champion. He was knocked out on one mid level punch by Rahman, and an over the hill Oliver McCall. Lewis was making fun of Wlad on HBO, yet Lewis must count himself in with fighters that have weak chins.

If Tyson tried to come out roaring against Vitali, he would just get a jab in his face. Tyson's only prayer would be to get inside and have Vitali not back away after getting hit. Tyson is shot. He is not a boxer anymore. Sure he may have some knockout power, but his technique is all but gone. Once you eliminate the intimidation he gives you, he is toast.

Thats the thing. When he says, FUCK boxing I am just going to run in, take the jab but still get inside, he mauls his opponent and hurts them. When he tries to outbox real boxers, they eat him alive.

Although I still say he was pummeling Holyfield in the second fight before Holyfield went all headshrinkers on him and tyson went all Hannibal Lecter on him, I went all "I should stop saying "went all"...its really corny."

Guest Redhawk

Mike didn't beat Lewis because he didn't have that old killer instinct. He looked like he had it in the first round, when he almost caught Lennox and dropped him, but over the course of the fight you could tell that Mike just wasn't into it. He wasn't hungry like he used to be. Maybe he didn't have it going into the fight, or maybe Lennox jabbed it out of him. I don't know if it was the money, Don King, jail, women, religion or what, but something in Mike has changed. And maybe as a man, it's better for him that he isn't so...on edge (or crazy or whatever you want to call it) anymore. But as a fighter, it's hurt him. 1989 Mike wanted to destroy you. 2003 Mike isn't like that.

If someone got into Mike's head -- made him want to be the best again, made him feel like an underdog again -- Mike would stomp any heavyweight out there, because this era is weak.