TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reshad974

When was the last time a wrestler was paraded

Guest reshad974

The last time was when Angle won the title from Austin in September '01 but I am not sure.

IMO, the best parading was when Bret won the title from Yokozuna at WM X. THAT was truly a great moment that cement him as a great champion respected by all the babyface roster.

I think they should have done that for Benoit at WM. It would have been great to see all wrestlers pay tribute to Chris Benoit.

What do you think ?

Guest Dynamite Kido

Bret's was the best by far, Angle's wasn't too bad. Damn, they really don't do this anymore.

I think they should have done that for Benoit at WM. It would have been great to see all wrestlers pay tribute to Chris Benoit.

What do you think ?

That would have ruined the importance of the Guerrero/Benoit love fest post match. The focus was on the two men, mostly Benoit, just as it should have been. The greatest WrestleMania of all time, leaving the air with two of the greatest and in my opinion, most deserving, World Champions of all time.

Guest Fook

Aside from Bret and Angle, who else had the big celebration after winning the belt?

Guest Goodear

The NWA used to do that even for minor titles but that day is gone and for good reason, In the olden days, there was almost a constant team atmosphere where it was always the faces vs. The Horsemen or the Paul Jones Stable or The Midnight Express or The Russians. So when the heels would beat someone down, you could look forward to the locker room emptying and everyone coming out for the save. So when a face won a title, it wouldn't be the least bit jarring for the rest of them come out and celebrate.

But nowadays, since the levels of competition have changed faces will battle other faces on a near constant level and it would make less sense for Shawn Michaels to celebrate with Benoit for obvious reasons (he wants da belt too!). Handshake and hug? Okay. But to put the guy up on your shoulders almost means taking a secondary role to the champion and making it look like you want his reign to last forever and it doesn't make as much sense. And so, it was totally appropriate for Eddie and Chris to celebrate together since they aren't in competition with each other but still have a historical connection.

Pretty sure Mankind was paraded around when he beat Rock for the title for the first time. I think DX had him on their shoulders.

Luger had the entire locker room (non-nWo) come out for his win over Hogan.

Guest reshad974

Sting was after Starrcade 97 (shitty moment of course due to the screwjob) and again after Superbrawl 99 I think.

Luger was too on Nitro in August '97 when he won the title from Hogan. I really hate Luger but to see all WCW wrestlers happy because the World title was back in WCW was a great moment.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think it fit Goldberg's character better for no one to come out.

I think Backlund may have had one for himself too. It was either by other wrestlers or some fans.

Don't remember which.

But yeah, last was Angle at Unforgiven 01, I believe.

It really only works on certain occassions. Unforgiven 01 it worked because they were all WWF wrestlers happy that Angle took the title away from the Alliance.

When Mankind was by DX on that fateful Raw, it made sense because they had sort of adopted Mankind as a friend.

The Bret Hart win at WrestleMania 10 parading made sense because the faces were 1)Happy for Bret to get the belt back he was screwed out of. And/or 2)They were glad that someone FINALLY dethroned the seemingly unstoppable champion Yokozuna.

Benoit being paraded at WrestleMania XX could have made sense if it was by a good majority of the people HHH had "buried" while champion, but since some of them had turned heel, it wouldn't work that way, hence the classier, IMO, cellebration.

Benoit being paraded at WrestleMania XX could have made sense if it was by a good majority of the people HHH had "buried" while champion, but since some of them had turned heel, it wouldn't work that way, hence the classier, IMO, celebration.

I dont know, it could work because every single person in that audience knew what Benoit had gone through to get to that night and to win that match and to take that title, and what it meant to him - the wrestlers knew it and they could have shown their respect and their joy.

Benoit being paraded at WrestleMania XX could have made sense if it was by a good majority of the people HHH had "buried" while champion, but since some of them had turned heel, it wouldn't work that way, hence the classier, IMO, celebration.

I dont know, it could work because every single person in that audience knew what Benoit had gone through to get to that night and to win that match and to take that title, and what it meant to him - the wrestlers knew it and they could have shown their respect and their joy.

That's possible too. Though, there's no real reason to harp on it now, as what's done is done.

Oh...another...well, SORTA parading: The WrestleMania 4 title win by the Macho Man.

Guest drdrainoscott

I wouldn't count Macho's, it was just him and Liz.

When Sting won the title from Flair in 1990, the Steiners, Orndorf and JYD paraded him around. I think the same thing happened when Ron Simmons beat Vader in 92.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

What do you think ?

That would have ruined the importance of the Guerrero/Benoit love fest post match. The focus was on the two men, mostly Benoit, just as it should have been. The greatest WrestleMania of all time, leaving the air with two of the greatest and in my opinion, most deserving, World Champions of all time.

you don't really consider that the greatest Wrestlemania of all time do you? it wasn't anywhere near the best.

I'm pretty sure Sting was paraded around when he won his first title ever in WCW, the TV belt, back on a Saturday night. Shows you how they would do it for just about anyone for any title back in the day.

What do you think ?

you don't really consider that the greatest Wrestlemania of all time do you? it wasn't anywhere near the best.

Well, no, I don't, but that's what it was booked as. I was stating why the situation was important from the booking point of view.

Personally, I think WrestleMania X-Seven and X8 > Every other WrestleMania.

However, WM XX certainly scores points for the mark-out moment of Taker returning, even if he WASN'T the full-on deadman. I like him anyhow. :lol:

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

WM X-8 felt like a long edition of RAW...except for of course Hogan/Rock.

Question about WM X: Was the Bret celebration a surprise to him, because I read it was as "pay back" for being screwed out of the title in 1993 because of Hogan. I can be wrong though.

Guest Choken One

I doubt it could be a surprise as they set up the continuing of the Owen angle at the same time...

It's not really a parade nor a world title but what about when General E. Rection reclaimed the United States title back for America from Lance Storm and the entire "american" face quotient of WCW lead by Goldberg applauded him on stage and he('berg) gave him the thumbs up.

What do you think ?

The only problem I had with it was it was way too long. If it was 3 hours, it might be the best. 1 great match and 3 really good matches.

I'd still put it right below WMX7.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Wrestlemania III

Wrestlemania VIII

Wrestlemania X

Wrestlemania XIV

All are in my top 5 along with Wrestlemania X-Seven. X-Seven is the best WWF PPV EVER, so saying X-8 was right below that deserves a swift kick in the face.

When Sting won the title from Flair in 1990, the Steiners, Orndorf and JYD paraded him around. I think the same thing happened when Ron Simmons beat Vader in 92.

I believe there was a celebration when Ronnie Garin won the title from Flair too. I also remember one when Kerry Von Erich beat Flair for the title.