TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Ric Flair's WCW departure...

Back in 1998, I was only 13 years old and had very little idea as to how things worked backstage.

What I want to know is the exact details in regards to Flair's departure in 1998 from WCW TV and his famous return courtesy of the Four Horsemen.

I'm guessing it had something to do with Bischoff, but I don't know the actual details.

UYI

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

From what I remember, Ric Flair was suppose to show up on Thunder to reform the Horsemen, but instead went to his sons wrestling meet (I think Reid). From there Bischoff had a problem with Flair, and I think tried slapping a lawsuit on him. My memories fuzzy on the whole thing though, since WCW was completly fucked up from 1998-the end.

Can't find any archived news from Meltzer, so you'll have to settle for Keller's report.

Torch Newsletter Archive

By Wade Keller, Torch editor

Originally published: Pro Wrestling Torch Weekly newsletter #491

Cover dated: Apr. 25, 1998

World Championship Wrestling is suing Ric Flair for "breach of contract," based on his failure to appear for the Apr. 9 edition of Thunder, among other dates, as scheduled. The lawsuit, filed in Fulton County Superior Court on Friday, Apr. 17, effectively ends Flair's long-running association with WCW.

Flair may be stuck sitting at home while the legal situation works itself out, although until he resurfaces somewhere, he will be the subject of speculation. Jim Ross helped fuel that speculation when he mentioned Flair by name on the Apr. 20 edition of Raw, saying that the site of their pay-per-view on Sunday - Greensboro, N.C. - is "Ric Flair country." It seems highly unlikely, though, that Flair would be able to legally work for the WWF anytime soon unless an out of court settlement was quickly reached where Flair paid a lump sum of money to get WCW to drop the lawsuit and in exchange WCW would allow him to work for the WWF. Given Flair's proven ability to draw TV ratings and pay-per-view buyrates and the recent closing of the gap in the TV ratings race, it would be in WCW's best interest to keep Flair tied up for months. What is a possibility is that Flair will "buy a ticket" and be seen in the crowd and the WWF will acknowledge him on camera.

Wrestlers have often missed dates before, so the lawsuit seems on the surface to be more of a statement against Flair rather than just his missing a couple of scheduled appearances. Bischoff had said he planned to make an example out of Flair, and by suing him for no-showing two dates, more than keeping Flair from going to the WWF, he may be trying to put a scare into other disgruntled wrestlers who might be thinking of missing dates in order to try to escape their contracts.

Friends of Flair say he is not worried about the lawsuit in part because he didn't have written into his current contract, despite claims by WCW sources, that he had to be available for every Nitro and Thunder. Also, the final draft of his contract was never finalized and signed. WCW only gave Flair 24 hours notice to be at the Apr. 9 Thunder. For the past year Flair had been planning to attend his son Reid's wrestling tournament on Apr. 9, ever since one year ago at the same tournament, despite being underage, Reid finished in second place. This year, as Flair hoped, Reid finished in first place.

Replying to BBCW's response...

From what I remember, Ric Flair was suppose to show up on Thunder to reform the Horsemen

IIRC, the Horsemen was only going to be reformed after Flair's return. But after hearing what Bischoff had planned for them direction-wise (jobbing to the nWo B-Team), Flair refused to go through with it.

What was Eric's main beef with Naitch anyway? He drew millions, the fans adored him and he was as reliable as they come.

I know you need to abandon all logic and common sense when discussing WCW, but I just cannot understand it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Good for Flair, jobbing to nWo b-team? They shouldn't have even lost to the a team!

Well, Flair had already jobbed out to Hogan more than enough times, so it was Horace Hogans turn :lol:

That whacky WCW.

ah, so that's when it was. I don't remember too much from then.

I don't have the Monday Night Wars DVD, so I never really knew. Speaking of that DVD, is it any good?

All I can remember from that time when the Horsemen were re-formed, was Flair feuding with Eric Bischoff.

The MNW DVD is good, however there are some *huge* logic gaps and holes in WWE's points & arguments, as you would expect.

However, while there is a lot WWE's version of history on there, the nWo stuff as well as all the awesome footage from both RAW & Nitro is worth the price alone.

Plus, it has the best tag match to ever air on RAW - HBK & Austin vs Owen & Davey Boy.

UYI

Guest Mad the Swine
What was Eric's main beef with Naitch anyway? He drew millions, the fans adored him and he was as reliable as they come.

I know you need to abandon all logic and common sense when discussing WCW, but I just cannot understand it.

I don't know if there's a definitive reason. As you said, logic kinda hovered in the air in WCW, waiting to be breathed in. Sometimes, it was good oxygen. Others, it was carbon monoxide. And on numerous occasions, laughing gas.

So, anyway, here's a few of the things that were a little awry between them.

1) Contract negotiations broke down between Flair and WCW in January 1998. He had signed a letter of intent to say in November 1997, but according to him, the final contract was nothing like the letter. It supposedly stated that WCW could fire him if they breached the contract. Of course, Flair didn't sign.

His contract was supposed to run out in February; the suit occurred in April. The question that never was answered (as we never went to court): was the letter of intent binding?

2) Flair missing the Thunder to attend Reid's wrestling meet.

Bischoff said that Flair didn't give notice. I don't know if Bischoff is lying, forgetting about it, or the notice never reached him. It was known that Flair wouldn't be there.

Bob Ryder used to have his email list, "Notes From Bob". Very shortly after the Nitro where Flair was announced to appear Thursday, Ryder mentioned that in all probability, Flair wouldn't be there.

3) Possible jealousy.

Hogan wasn't anywhere near the Souled Out pay-per-view in January. Flair and Bret Hart headlined and drew close to a 1.0 buyrate.

Supposedly - and take this with a grain of salt - Hogan and Bischoff were jealous of that and buried the tag program that was set up for the two. Of course, this could also be ridiculous and ludicrous internet gossip.

At any rate, nothing was obvious until March 1998. Flair was on every show and then he disappeared. Not many mentions were made at all until suddenly in early April there was the announcement that Flair would be there Thursday.

Now, Flair has said that he knows the reason. But he hasn't come out and fully shared his beliefs.

I don't have the Monday Night Wars DVD, so I never really knew. Speaking of that DVD, is it any good?

Pretty good despite the revisiont history they threw in there. The Flair promo and Bulldog/Owen vs. Austin/HBK match are reasons enough to pick this up.