TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

So I get my final copy of Game Informers Mag today, and there is a big 10 page story, with screenshots, of GTA: San Andreas. Here are some High points:

1. San Andreas is not a city, it's a STATE. It will encompas three cities- San Fransisco, Los Angelas, and Las Vegas. Each city will be roughly as large as Vice City was.

2. It will take place in the mid 90's during the gang violence period.

3. Lots of rendered interiors, and you will be able to break into houses.

4. You will be in a gang and build an empire, kind of like Vice City. Purchasing property will play a more vital role.

5. Sharper graphics, overhauld engins, new cars, etc.

More to come in the days ahead. I'd include screencaps, but my scanner died.

6. You get to be a black guy.

Heh...go over to GAmefaqs and that's the only thing the talk is about. It's surprising how low the intelligence level of a lot of people their :|.

6. You get to be a black guy.

Heh...go over to GAmefaqs and that's the only thing the talk is about. It's surprising how low the intelligence level of a lot of people their :|.

...Oh the irony.

But anyway, I'm actually pretty hyped for this game. When is it supposed to be released again?

Guest El Satanico

What's the big deal about playing as a black guy? I don't recall a big deal about playing as an Italian guy.

Frankly I'd rather play with a chicano gang banger, but whatever.

More Screenshots

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

"Five years ago Carl Johnson escaped from the pressures of life in Los Santos, San Andreas.. .a city tearing itself apart with gang trouble, drugs and corruption; where film stars and millionaires do their best to avoid the dealers and gang bangers.

Now, it's the early 90s. Carl's got to go home. His mother has been murdered, his family has fallen apart and his childhood friends are all heading towards disaster.

On his return to the neighborhood, a couple of corrupt cops frame him for homicide. CJ is forced on a journey that takes him across the entire state of San Andreas, to save his family and to take control of the streets."

Unfortunately those quotes above are the only bits of info that we have so far; as Rockstar is obviously going to keep the meatier details under wraps until it later this year. At the very least, we finally know which era that game now takes place and that it has a conceptual style reminiscent of the popular 1990s gangsta films like Boyz in the Hood and Juice.

I think the official release date is October 16 or something close to that. Reading what people say about the character being black on Gamefaqs is pretty funny because I can never tell which ones of them are being making fun of the others and which ones are just stupid.

I have the Game Informer and the article has one of the guys who is in charge of the game talking. He says that there will definitely be some rap music, most likely the early 90s west coast stuff, but he also said they're not focusing on rap. He said there will still be a variety of radio stations with different types of music. It'll be interesting to see what they bring out as representative of the early 90s after they did a pretty good job with the 80s in Vice City.

I'm also interested in seeing what kind of voice cast they put together this time. In the Game Informer article the guy seems kind of against how games now rely on big name actors doing voice work to sell their games.

Guest El Satanico

Hopefully they put together some interesting track listings for rap and rock of the time period. I'm sure we will see all the popular Snoop, Dre, Pearljam, Nirvana type stuff, but hopefully they don't just go after well known material.

Guest OctoberBlood
but he also said they're not focusing on rap. He said there will still be a variety of radio stations with different types of music.

Thank fucking God.

Larry, what made you think any different? Didn't GTA 3 have a white guy and there was all kinds of music? Didn't Vice City have an Italian? Was there all kinds of organs and opera music? Was spaghetti mentioned in every line? What makes people think because the guy is black the game will feature rap music and mispelled words?

Guest El Satanico

I think it's more because it's set in gangland cali early 90's than it is because our lead character happens to be a dark shading.

Guest El Satanico

Of course they weren't, but the creators said they weren't focusing in on just rap, so such music is likely.

Unfortunately those quotes above are the only bits of info that we have so far; as Rockstar is obviously going to keep the meatier details under wraps until it later this year. At the very least, we finally know which era that game now takes place and that it has a conceptual style reminiscent of the popular 1990s gangsta films like Boyz in the Hood and Juice .

Translation: We'll rip off as much as possible, again.

I can only imagine what fun stuff they'll have in store for the character in the virtual version of my hometown. :D

Unfortunately those quotes above are the only bits of info that we have so far; as Rockstar is obviously going to keep the meatier details under wraps until it later this year. At the very least, we finally know which era that game now takes place and that it has a conceptual style reminiscent of the popular 1990s gangsta films like Boyz in the Hood and Juice .

Well...if it's working why change it? Whether they took something from something else in previous games or not...did they or did they not still become favorites amongst many? So you don't really want to change a good thing.

Well...if it's working why change it? Whether they took something from something else in previous games or not...did they or did they not still become favorites amongst many? So you don't really want to change a good thing.

I suppose.

But it's not hard to sell lots of games, and become popular to hordes of mindless drones by putting hookers, the ability to steal, and shoot people at will in a game.

It's not really an achievement at all.

Especially with Rockstar, and it's "What crime movie can we blatantly steal this time?" attitude.

Guest OctoberBlood
Larry, what made you think any different? Didn't GTA 3 have a white guy and there was all kinds of music? Didn't Vice City have an Italian? Was there all kinds of organs and opera music? Was spaghetti mentioned in every line? What makes people think because the guy is black the game will feature rap music and mispelled words?

Because you play a gangster, and well, most games will have one set of music. But, I'm glad Rockstar is sticking with the all around radio station, and you'll get to pick and choose what you listen to.

This is Grand Theft Auto. The last 2 didnt have one set and the last one was set in the 80s and 80s is usually defined as big hair, heavy metal.

And Juice is my favorite movie and its not even a "gangsta" flick. Shouldn't they try to steal Menace 2 Society instead? That would make more sense.

Yes!

I hated gangbangers growing up because I went to school with a bunch of wannabes.......in elementary!

So it'll be nice to be shooting them all.....and then controlling there lives in the end.

Guest El Satanico
I hated gangbangers growing up because I went to school with a bunch of wannabes

That means you didn't hate gangbangers, so how will shooting something you didn't hate make you happy? Cause the game has gangbangers not your hated wannabe gangbangers.

I hated gangbangers growing up because I went to school with a bunch of wannabes

That means you didn't hate gangbangers, so how will shooting something you didn't hate make you happy? Cause the game has gangbangers not your hated wannabe gangbangers.

Same difference. They were like Gangbanger juniors....and they did hang out with real ones...........and those guys were annoying to.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Nik gave me the link to an awesome game preview a couple of days - it's a shame that I can't get it for you.

Seriously though, those are some great screenshots, and I can't wait for the game to be released here in October.

And now I know that it is called 'San Andreas' and not 'Sin City'...

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

They also said that the targeting would be improved in this game. It will be interesting to see how they plan on implementing that into this game, especially with pictures that I saw of a car full of people doing a drive-by.

BTW, that comment about being a black guy was just a joke.