TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Guest OctoberBlood
And...two big errors.  Marlins lead!  Marlins lead!

REDS LEAD! REDS LEAD! What?

JUNIOR! #13!

6 MORE!

Guest FrigidSoul

Woohoo, Griffey homers and gives me 3RBIs

Trading Mike Cameron and Zack Day for Griffey sure makes me look like a genius

From Al's column:

Left Field: Kirk Gibson

Kirk Gibson inspired this list. It seems truly puzzling that a player of Gibson's talents never made an All-Star team. 255 home runs, 284 stolen bases, .352 OBP, .463 Slugging, and an MVP award top Gibson's impressive resume. The only good explanation seems to be rotten luck, as Gibson usually finished behind the likes of Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Darryl Strawberry, and Andre Dawson. Of course, everyone knows about Gibson's famous World Series home run.

Just to add to that, Gibson was injured at the All-Star break in '88 or otherwise he would have been chosen to the team.

My suggestion next week is to put a list together of the worst players ever to make the All-Star team.

I can't tell you how much might heart sinks every time someone hits a flyball off Joe Borowski. Luckily, this one was a routine out to close out the game. Great pitcher's dual we had today.

Guest OctoberBlood

Riedling in May all of sudden doesn't know how to pitch.

Good win for the Cubs today. A much needed one for sure, and Maddux looked pretty good (did they ever say why he had to leave the game?).

Maybe they can make it two in a row over the Stros now. The opportunity is certainly there since Brandon Duckworth is pitching for Houston tomorrow.

Guest OctoberBlood

Must be Global Warning. Graves with another 1-2-3. Reds Win. 30-21.

Guest Anglesault
From Al's column:

Left Field: Kirk Gibson

Kirk Gibson inspired this list. It seems truly puzzling that a player of Gibson's talents never made an All-Star team. 255 home runs, 284 stolen bases, .352 OBP, .463 Slugging, and an MVP award top Gibson's impressive resume. The only good explanation seems to be rotten luck, as Gibson usually finished behind the likes of Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Darryl Strawberry, and Andre Dawson. Of course, everyone knows about Gibson's famous World Series home run.

Just to add to that, Gibson was injured at the All-Star break in '88 or otherwise he would have been chosen to the team.

My suggestion next week is to put a list together of the worst players ever to make the All-Star team.

I decided to check out the column, and without even looking, I knew who the right fielder was. :P

Guest Anglesault
I honestly looked for a right fielder other than Abreu. I really did.

Sure al. :P

Guest FrigidSoul

Jody Gerut plays RF. I know its only his second season but its somebody other than Abreu hehe

The better pick would be Tim Salmon simply since Abreu will eventually be picked where Salmon is past his prime and thus it's highly unlikely he'll ever play in an All-Star game.

I've taken up the suggestion. In researching this, its amazing how many bad catchers have made the All-Star team. Some of these guys make Joe Girardi look like a wise move.

Now without doing any research but the first name that came to mind when I made the suggestion was Mike Sharperson of the Dodgers in 1992 when they lost 99 games. HE WAS A PLATOON PLAYER! Nice OBP (.387) that year but he only played in more than 100 games three times in his career and never played in more than 129.