TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Italian Stallion

If you can bring one cancelled show back..

Angel and Firefly, obviously.

And there was a show on NBC a few years back- they put it between Profiler and The Pretender on Saturday night. It was an awesome show that cashed in on the 6th Sense vibe going on around then. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.

Basic premise was that a doctor (or med student) is recruited by a group of people who all have various psychic abilities. That's a piss poor summary, but's it's been a few years so sue me. That was a GREAT show.

Guest El Satanico

I watched that show...it was a bizarre show and I can't recall the title.

Ah great, now I've got a bunch of people wanting to kill me.  WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU??!??!

*reads initial post*

Oh...

Just remember that next time, qualify the statement by excluding shows that are related to the words "Joss", "Whedon" and "Mutant Enemy". :D

(edit) Speaking of which, for the Whedon fans, Astonishing X-Men is pretty darn good (except for Beast's costume). Good dialogue, GREAT art (again, except for Beast's costume) - it's an easy recommendation for everyone to pick up.

Guest MikeSC
what about the tick and playmakers?

"Playmakers"? No. It was a like bad "First and 10" (remember THAT HBO gem? Heck, was that EVEN the name?)

"The Tick"? Definitely needs a real chance. Hilariously goofy show. Cartoon OR live-action.

-=Mike

Guest JumpinJackFlash

Police Squad, starring Leslie Nielson. I heard there were only 6 episodes of that hilarious show. It's funnier than most of what's on TV today.

Guest Choken One
Boy Meets World

BMW wasn't canceled.

The show lasted 8 seasons and the actors were all leaving...the show had no where to go.

Going off the air doesn't mean you were cancelled.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Clerks

I enjoyed the cartoons more than the actual movie.

Weird.

Guest Redhawk

Playmakers (I liked it. Sue me.)

The Practice (if they could have kept the original cast it'd still be going)

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

It seems that a lot of the time, if there's a show that doesn't require a 200 IQ to enjoy, it gets axed.

If it wasn't brought back to cable, I'd say Family Guy.

Lois: "Peter, this is the worst thing you've ever done!"

Peter: "Uh uh - what about that time on that airplane?"

[Flashback: Airplane door warning: "Do not pull"]

[Peter's perplexed face]

[Airplane door warning: "Do not pull"]

[Peter's perplexed face]

[Peter pulls, sucking him and other things out of the plane]

[Camera shows Peter falling down towards us]

Trademark Peter chuckle: "Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe"

[Peter falls past camera and down towards land when we flash back to the present.]

Guest El Satanico
It seems that a lot of the time, if there's a show that doesn't require a 200 IQ to enjoy, it gets axed.

It's usually the intelligent or smartly written shows that get cancelled. If the show confuses the midwestern mutants, it will usually be cancelled.

Then you have the expensive small audience shows that get canned for high budgets and not enough ratings to make up for it.

Then you have the expensive small audience shows that get canned for high budgets and not enough ratings to make up for it.

Or get put into the worst timeslot possible. 8pm Friday was lighning in a bottle for Fox with The X-Files, but if it were there today, it would've been axed just like EVERY OTHER SHOW they put there.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

It's usually the intelligent or smartly written shows that get cancelled. If the show confuses the midwestern mutants, it will usually be cancelled.

If what is an "intelligent" show gets cancelled (here), it's usually not - it's a tacky, unoriginal sci-fi action drama program that has enough plotholes to sink a battleship, i.e. Farscape. UYI would know what I'm talking about.

And what I also meant was the kind of shows that you just switch your brain off for and enjoy that get cancelled. Sure, they're not groundbreaking, but they're fun.

The Practice (if they could have kept the original cast it'd still be going)

While I loved the original cast and the show, it had stagnated quite a bit over the last few years, and last season was one of the weaker ones in a while. James Spader's addition totally saved the show (Alan Shore is one of the greatest characters in TV history), and the spinoff (with William Shatner's hilarious Denny Crane character) is going to kick all different sorts of ass.

Guest MikeSC
Quantum Leap. So it could get a real ending.

I actually thought the ending was perfect. Sam giving up his dream of returning home to give Al happiness was good.

-=Mike

Quantum Leap.  So it could get a real ending.

I actually thought the ending was perfect. Sam giving up his dream of returning home to give Al happiness was good.

-=Mike

Bah. Al was having sex with lots of women and wearing bad suits he was happy. So he wasn't perfectly happy, he wasn't going to be leaping around lost in time for all eternity bad.

Plus that sad lady from the open of the show that sounded like she was about to cry when she said "..one day...he can return home." is going to be sad for eternity. Is that the perfect ending, Mike. That sad lady is going to be sad FOREVER!!!!????

*cries*

It's bullshit that he never got to return home. Plus they told you that Al's first wife waited and Sam would leap forever in a fucking text over. The ending would have been alright if the episode was just a season finale like it was supposed to be, instead of a series finale.

The Sci-Fi Channel ran some special on it a few years ago, and the creator was saying how they found out that the show was canceled after all the episodes were already filmed. So they just went back and added a couple scenes and changed it around to give it closure. They didn't bring him home because they wanted to leave open the possibility of a movie. Which never happened. :(

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Family Guy deserves it FAR more than Angle or Firefly.

Guest JMA
Family Guy deserves it FAR more than Angel or Firefly.

Family Guy IS coming back, though. Doesn't that kind of disqualify it?

Family Guy deserves it FAR more than Angle or Firefly.

Angel, yeah because it was on for 5 years. (although in 5 years it had fewer bad eps than family guy did in 2 and a half)edit: actually come to think of it, Angel was a critically acclaimed show that the creators never really got to close out the story the way they wanted to. The way they DID do it was kick ass for sure but still...it deserved better closure. Like how Married with Children was on for all those years, sure, but it deserved some fucking closure.

Firefly on the other hand was incredible and incredibly short. It deserved more.

At least it gets a movie.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Family Guy deserves it FAR more than Angel or Firefly.

Family Guy IS coming back, though. Doesn't that kind of disqualify it?

It's not back yet.