TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

Changes in Xplosion

With the debut of Impact! last week (and the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the new show), discussion has begun amongst NWA:TNA management regarding the future of Xplosion. 

There are already plans to remove Xplosion from stations that either don't have great market penetration, or have relegated Xplosion to a worthless timeslot.  It is simply seen as a waste of time to send tapes to stations where hardly anyone will see the show. At this point, they are going to continue Xplosion on the larger outlets, such as the Sunshine Network and Empire Sports Net, since they reach larger audiences and people within the company feel the NWA:TNA benefits from having the show on those stations to get the word out about the PPV.

The feeling amongst some in the company is that Xplosion (which is primarily squash matches and PPV hype, filmed at the Asylum prior to the PPV in Nashville) does not have the extravagant "look" of Impact or the "starpower" of the PPV, and as a result comes off as the "low-rent" TNA show.  Some feel that the time and cost put into producing and sending out tapes of Xplosion to channels could be better used by the company in other areas.

Others feel that Xplosion is still a valuable show to the company, and can be used in other markets (where Impact doesn't air) to get the word out about the PPV events.  It also allows the company to boast to potential advertisers and business partners that they produce two television shows and a PPV every week.  Those that favor keeping Xplosion are also arguing that it is good to have a "different type of show" than Impact.

There are several options NWA:TNA could explore with Xplosion.  They could make it a recap show, with no exclusive matches, and just show clips from the PPV and Impact with interviews hyping the following week's shows. They could tape the Xplosion matches at the Impact taping to give it a better look (although I am not sure if that is possible from a production and distribution standpoint).  Or they could just continue with the current format for the show.  As time goes on, it will be interesting to see what direction NWA:TNA takes Xplosion.

Credit: PWInsider.com

Hadn't seen this anywhere on the board yet, so I'm putting it up. This is interesting, because I think as it stands, most people don't know where Xplosion airs and if they do, they view it as entirely missable because its all hype and squash matches. I like the interviews that are "exclusive" to Xplosion and think the show has some value, but I really can't stand that it is all squash matches. I think they could tape a throwaway match and make it an Xplosion main event. Just to make watching the hour worthwhile. Kinda of like how WWE usually has at least one match on Heat between "names," though not necessarily big ones. Just one match where the winner is in doubt is the only change I'd make to the show, because the interviews are great and usually get me hyped for the PPV.

I like Xplosion, barring the repetitive commercials. I think they do need to add another match and a "name vs. name" main event, as otherwise it's just watchable, and not good.

I like Xplosion, barring the repetitive commercials. I think they do need to add another match and a "name vs. name" main event, as otherwise it's just watchable, and not good.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how much I hate the repetitve commercials, I know they are trying to sell stuff, but we get the point! :bonk: They could at least mix it up instead of showing the same 3 commercials 5 times each! And it's not like it would be difficult to do a "name vs name" main event. Just use 2 guys who aren't on the PPV card and have it go about 6-7 minutes instead of 3 and bingo, got your Xplosion main event and I'm satisfied. Like this week they could do something like a Kash/Dallas v Siaki/Kenney match and have Kash/Dallas win to get their momentum back. And then they could do a post-match angle with the NYC. Just using those guys as an example because they don't have matches scheduled, but they could do something like that every week very easily.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=56216

Read my recap. I got bored last night and wrote it. I actually like most of the matches they put on their, but I would love to see a match with someone recognizable to your average mark, or even an above average mark. I've seen the Naturals on USA Pro, so this makes Xplosion look just like that. Give me a TNA-Exclusive big name vs a TNA exclusive mid-carder and I'd say the show is really worth watching.

Give me a TNA-Exclusive big name vs a TNA exclusive mid-carder and I'd say the show is really worth watching.

Amen. And good review. You should see if Dames would let you put that on the main site.

Shit

any reason in particular?

Shit

Does the name Aaron Conley ring any bells? :D

not really

Shit

Does the name Aaron Conley ring any bells? :D

not really

Yeah, I figured.

I write the Xplosion report for 411.

I've never been to 411. Sorry.

Sonny Siaki & Pat Kenney & Desire b Glenn Gilberti & Johnny Swinger & Trinity. Trinity tagged in just a couple of times to kick Sonny but then would tag right out. Desire and Trinity brawled briefly in the ring. Don't remember who pinned who in this match.

Heavy Metal b Frankie Kazarian in a non-title match. These two were trying to liven the crowd up (which didn't need much help to get excited) but you could tell they were new to the 6 sided ring. Solid effort by both though.

Ron Killings won a Gauntlet match, pinning Monty Brown.  It featured Siaki, Kenney, Gilberti, Swinger, the Truth, Konnan, BG James, Raven, Sabu, Monte Brown, Erik Watts, Heavy Metal, and Frankie Kazarian.

"Irish" Pat Kenney & Shark Boy defeated Johnny Swinger-Glen Gilberti (w/ Trinity); eh, this wasn't that good, as some things looked off/were screwed up, including Trinity's huracanrana on Kenney.

Hector Garza, Chris Sabin, and Elix Skipper defeated Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley, and Michael Shane. This was quite good, and it could be argued that this was the best match at the tapings.

Those are the dark matches from the first 2 Impact tapings. Anyone one of those would be an excellent match to ME Xplosion (well maybe everything except the Gauntlet and the Abyss/Sabu match). If they would rather tape it in Nashville instead of Orlando, the guys could just do the same match because they're playing in front of a different crowd. Makes sense to me. Definitely would improve the show alot.

Sabu defeated Abyss (w/ Goldylocks) after Raven provided unintended distraction. This was a slow-paced match that just wasn't that good, and Sabu screwed up his attempt at the triple jump moonsault too.