TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

Honestly, last night was the first time I have had a big, from the gut laugh at the movies in a long time. Usually during comedies I just smile and have little laughs, but this is the first movie that had me legitimately cracking up since Old School.

Doogie Howser doing a line of coke off a stripper's ass is money. And the Kumar married to the weed scene is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Did everyone else get the trailer for the completely out there John Waters movie that I now forget the name of?

I have no idea what CM Funk meant in his critiques. Unless this does extremely well, and I'm talking SUPER well, there won't be a Harold and Kumar Go To Amsterdam. And if by too BTTF-ish you meant a guy who gets bullied around stands up for himself, then welcome to any film that has a downtrodden guy who gets picked on.

By "too BTTF-ish, I personally have something against movies that leave you hanging. They suddenly decide to go to Amsterdam and then the movie ends, leaving no conclusion to what happens with Harold and the girl. I hated this type of ending in Back to the Future Part. One and even in Super Mario Brothers (of course, that's not the only glaring problem with the movie). Rush Hours 1 and 2 are a good example of how to wrap movies up, but still leave room for a sequel. I just assumed there would be a second film (or at least one is being planned) when they mentioned their next adventure.

Guest Retro Rob
Did everyone else get the trailer for the completely out there John Waters movie that I now forget the name of?

A Dirty Shame. The theater I was in popped big time just for the NC-17 rating, so that alone might be able to bring in some money to a movie that would probably completely bomb with an R rating.

Guest evenflowDDT
I have no idea what CM Funk meant in his critiques. Unless this does extremely well, and I'm talking SUPER well, there won't be a Harold and Kumar Go To Amsterdam. And if by too BTTF-ish you meant a guy who gets bullied around stands up for himself, then welcome to any film that has a downtrodden guy who gets picked on.

By "too BTTF-ish, I personally have something against movies that leave you hanging. They suddenly decide to go to Amsterdam and then the movie ends, leaving no conclusion to what happens with Harold and the girl. I hated this type of ending in Back to the Future Part. One and even in Super Mario Brothers (of course, that's not the only glaring problem with the movie). Rush Hours 1 and 2 are a good example of how to wrap movies up, but still leave room for a sequel. I just assumed there would be a second film (or at least one is being planned) when they mentioned their next adventure.

O

M

G

S

P

O

L

I

E

R

Z

~!

Therein lies the ingenious simplicity of the film. There doesn't have to be a resolution to Harold and Maria's "romance" (if you even want to call it that), because, as can be discerned from the title, the end goal is not a romantic one (unlike, say, Road Trip, or even Dude, Where's My Car?), but a personal one. The final sequence with Maria and the suggested trip to Amsterdam is indicative of Harold's changed attitude towards life as a result of the experiences.

As for the prospect of a sequel...Dude, Where's My Car? (which actually made back its budget opening weekend, and went on to become a surprise hit) was rumored to have a sequel, Seriously, Where's My Car?, in production (which may have evolved into this film, as its data is no longer on IMDb); if Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle has a similar success (or even goes on to become a "cult hit" in video release), it's very possible.

Totally off-topic...but where the fuck did these red spoiler-tags come from? They're an eye-sore. I hate to be a prick, but I refuse to use them.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

the cool thing is, I bet this movie will have legs. Me and my gf saw it yesterday(after the god awful village) and it was great, and we told some people, and they are going to see it next week(they saw village...hated it too). It would be hilarious if H+K is this years Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Did they even have tv ads for the movie? I swear I only know of this movie through the net and some entertainment magazines.

BATTLESHITS!~

I saw it today.....oh god it was fucking funny.

What was the deal with everyone talking about there favorite place to hang out? Mine's IHOP......hmmm.....make a movie about a bunch of guys that just sit in IHOP all night.......that might actually be funny.

Me and my friend Chris were joking b/c in Oklahoma there are no Jack in the Boxes but they're everywhere in Texas. So we were joking about a "Dama and Chris go to Jack in the Box." but we're not stoners......just drunkards. So the movie would revolve around copious amounts of drunk driving.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

Finally got to see this one today.

I had a feeling it would be good, but I never thought it would blow me away as much as it did.

Great flick.

Guest JMA

I saw it and loved it. I could definitely see this movie becoming a cult hit with fans.

The scene in the stalls had people simultaneously gagging and laughing in my theatre. And Neil Patrick Harris was just awesome.

Having seen this last night [with my best friend, AND really fucked up], I have to say that this is indeed... the funniest film ever. John Cho and Kal Penn did an AWESOME job.

Went and saw the Manchurian Candidate [the original is way better, as per usual] but afterwards we snuck into another cinema to see H&K, and I agree - fucking hilarious!

It's funny but I think this could be one of those movies that just kinda makes about 3 million a weekend for a few months. Then we'll look up one day and it's made about 40 million quietly.

Either way, it's the perfect movie for DVD. People can hold White Castle parties, get wasted, watch H and K, etc.

I came, I saw, I loved it. It's not a 5-star classic by any means, but it's a great little flick that you don't mind spending $8.50 on.

Anyways, some random thoughts...

- Favourite inside joke that only I might get: "Well, Better Luck Tomorrow!!" (Cho was in that movie which had an (almost) all-Asian cast).

- Detective Stabler from Law & Order SVU as Freakshow was unrecognizable. Very odd little segment there, probably my least favourite part.

- When filming in Toronto, it should be a law that you include Thea Andrews in there somehow. I can't stress that enough.

- Country Style Donuts suck. Just so you know. Decent coffee, but not near as good as Tim Horton's

- If you and your buddy ate 30 sliders each, you'd probably be playing a LOT of Battleshits.

- Is Eddie Kaye Thomas on his way to becoming a "That Guy"?

- I'd do Susie Kim. I'm just saying, is all...

Oh god, White Castle burgers are the biggest fart burgers around. If they ate 30 of them they'd be on the toilet forever, heh. I was surprised that they didn't do that many fart jokes about the actual burgers, since it would be completely justified in this case.

There also needed to be a joke somewhere about W.C. putting drinks in a paper sack instead of an actual drink carrier. They were dining in, so it wouldn't have been H and K, but they could have had a throwaway gag with someone at the drive thru.

Guest evenflowDDT
Oh god, White Castle burgers are the biggest fart burgers around. If they ate 30 of them they'd be on the toilet forever, heh. I was surprised that they didn't do that many fart jokes about the actual burgers, since it would be completely justified in this case.

There also needed to be a joke somewhere about W.C. putting drinks in a paper sack instead of an actual drink carrier. They were dining in, so it wouldn't have been H and K, but they could have had a throwaway gag with someone at the drive thru.

I'm actually glad that they restrained from any jokes about White Castle itself, because, although they may have been hilarious to a select audience, half the nation (including me) wouldn't get them. And, due to a criminal lack of advertising (despite an alleged $20 million ad budget...where'd it all go?) that has led it to be overshadowed by blockbusters and relying on word of mouth, it has a small enough audience already. This is the kind of movie that needs to make it big.

I came, I saw, I loved it. It's not a 5-star classic by any means, but it's a great little flick that you don't mind spending $8.50 on.

Anyways, some random thoughts...

- Favourite inside joke that only I might get: "Well, Better Luck Tomorrow!!" (Cho was in that movie which had an (almost) all-Asian cast).

hahaha me and my best friend laughed so hard at that. I really don't know why :huh: but yeah, John Cho was also pretty good in that movie too.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

A little late, but I'm kinda surprised. I was very dissapointed with the movie and aside from a few scenes, nothing made me laugh at all. I'm not seeing what everyone else is and usually this is the type of movie I would find pretty funny.