TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

C.S.I. suffers a big blow

LOS ANGELES - The firing of two "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" stars in a salary dispute was fair and intended to help the TV industry draw the fiscal line, CBS chief Leslie Moonves said Sunday.

Actors Jorja Fox (news) and George Eads, who play investigators Sara Sidle and Nick Stokes on the hit CBS crime drama, were dumped last week when they failed to report for work on the upcoming season, he said.

"There comes a point where we feel a contract is a contract. ... We all have to look out for the future of the network television business," said Moonves, co-president and co-chief operating officer of CBS parent company Viacom.

Among the major broadcast networks only CBS and NBC avoided losses last year, he told the Television Critics Association.

Deals with Fox and Eads were renegotiated after two years and a raise was offered for this fifth season although there was no contractual obligation to do so, he said. The actors reportedly wanted a raise in their $100,000-per-episode pay.

Discussions had been under way with their lawyers and there were certain "veiled threats about their not showing up," Moonves said.

A call seeking comment from the actors was not immediately returned Sunday by their publicist.

Production will be halted this week while script revisions are made, Moonves said. The roles played by Fox and Eads have not been recast but the network is "looking at certain people," Moonves added.

Full Article

Well that just sucks. Between this and the entire cast of 24 not named Kiefer Sutherland not coming back for next season, both of my favorite shows seemed to be on the road to ruin.

Guest nugget

i don't think that csi will be that bad without those two. They can just use Greg more and bring in another woman and they should be fine.

Losing 2 of the main cast members from the highest rated series on network television can't be anything but a huge blow to the series in general. Chances are they'll try and fill the two holes with big name talent that wont mesh with the rest of the cast.

I don't see why they need to replace either of them, really. Sara's absence can be explain away from last year's finale, and with Nick gone they can move Greg up to work in the field and just hire a new guy to replace Greg's position. Though it is kind of funny that the two characters that were in the running for the next promotion are now off the show. :)

Guest MikeSC

I think it's better to dump them than to have them become bigger problems. As a general rule, problem children on set seldom tend to get BETTER over time.

-=Mike

Like MD said, Fox's absence can be explained easily. Eads' character was suggested for promotion by Grissom during the season, so they can just say he got it. This all ssems a bit too convenient though...

The Friends cast got, what, 1 mil an episode? These two got a tenth of that and their ratings IIRC were higher. Does that seem right to you? Granted, Friends was more of a character-driven show, but then-again, I watch CSI for the characters and the relationships as well. It may not be the focus, but I can't identify with a corpse, ya hear? I think this sucks cause I liked both characters and wanted to see the Sara/Grissom relationship completed (they only have been building it for -oh say- 4 seasons) and Nick had good chemistry with Archine and Greg.

The Friends cast got, what, 1 mil an episode? These two got a tenth of that and their ratings IIRC were higher. Does that seem right to you? Granted, Friends was more of a character-driven show, but then-again, I watch CSI for the characters and the relationships as well. It may not be the focus, but I can't identify with a corpse, ya hear? I think this sucks cause I liked both characters and wanted to see the Sara/Grissom relationship completed (they only have been building it for -oh say- 4 seasons) and Nick had good chemistry with Archine and Greg.

Friends was built entirely around the 6 characters, and to break that up would've killed the show a lot earlier (which I'm sure some of you wouldn't have minded).

CSI is more similar to ER and Law & Order, both of whom have replaced characters over the years - to the point where there are only 2 original cast members remaining among the two shows, and one of them came back after an extended absence. In some cases you can get away with using a similar character - for instance, there really isn't much difference between ADAs Alex Cabot and Casey Novak on Law & Order: SVU save for their appearances - but I think that they'll go more the NYPD Blue route and introduce entirely different characters which will provide a new dynamic to the cast.

BTW, I've also heard that the actor who plays Grissom (I'm just getting into the show, so I'm not 100% familiar with the actors) wants out after his contract is up. Any truth to that?

BTW, I've also heard that the actor who plays Grissom (I'm just getting into the show, so I'm not 100% familiar with the actors) wants out after his contract is up. Any truth to that?

Yeah, I've heard this a couple of times. I think he even wanted to get out before his contract was up, but opted to stay. But, yeah, it looks like he wants to do something else(lord knows what) once his CSI contract is up.

Guest netslob
BTW, I've also heard that the actor who plays Grissom (I'm just getting into the show, so I'm not 100% familiar with the actors) wants out after his contract is up.  Any truth to that?

Yeah, I've heard this a couple of times. I think he even wanted to get out before his contract was up, but opted to stay. But, yeah, it looks like he wants to do something else(lord knows what) once his CSI contract is up.

oh, man, my mom's gonna be totally bummed out by this news. she loves this show, and is completely in love with Grissom (seriously, it's frickin' ridiculous), so this will hit her hard. man, i don't even want to break the news to her. good thing i got her the DVD sets for christmas.

From Movie Poop Shoot, which got this from variety...

Reiko Aylesworth, who played Michelle on "24" for the past two seasons, is set to join the original "CSI" in a recurring role, insiders said, as a lab-based detective.

Aylesworth's casting is unrelated to the recent salary imbroglio involving "CSI" vets George Eads and Jorja Fox.

So I suppose that it's possible that her role may be increased on the show. But will she be wearing leather?

From Movie Poop Shoot, which got this from variety...

Reiko Aylesworth, who played Michelle on "24" for the past two seasons, is set to join the original "CSI" in a recurring role, insiders said, as a lab-based detective.

Aylesworth's casting is unrelated to the recent salary imbroglio involving "CSI" vets George Eads and Jorja Fox.

So I suppose that it's possible that her role may be increased on the show. But will she be wearing leather?

Well, that softens the blow just a bit.

As far as William Petersen leaving, hes a producer on the show as well as being the main character, so if he ends up leaving they might as well end C.S.I right then and there (of course you still have Miami and New York..).

As far as William Petersen leaving, hes a producer on the show as well as being the main character, so if he ends up leaving they might as well end C.S.I right then and there (of course you still have Miami and New York..).

That reminds me of a line from State and Main (not a bad rental, btw) where they say that they give out co-(executive-)producer credits to actors and writers just to keep them happy...

I just saw a blurb on the screen this morning but Jorga Fox has resigned with CSI & CBS and said there was a misunderstanding last week.