TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banter

John Cena to star in the first WWE movie...

WWE Jumps in Film Ring with Marine

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Thursday, July 22, 2004

World Wrestling Entertainment is making its first foray into the feature film ring with a project called The Marine, says The Hollywood Reporter. Wrestler John Cena, aka "Doctor of Thuganomics," will take the title role.

Cena is in talks to star as an injured Marine who returns from the war to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping.

The Marine will be produced through WWE Films and directed by commercial helmer John Bonito. Scouting has begun in Australia for the $15 million feature to start shooting mid-September. 20th Century Fox may distribute the film.

Guest INXS

Hopefully the script will be a lot better than i'm imagining. Cena should suit the role. Good luck to him.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Sounds more like Walking Tall 2 in terms of the base story, hopefully his promo's get better.....? :(

Guest Mindless_Aggression

For some reason, I hope it's a bizarre indy arthouse film about John's emotions and sexual confusion.

But yes, wasn't this role reported to be HHH's? I remember something about his film being marine related.

Guest tangerine

Get your Theories ready

a). HHH dropped the movie wanting to have a longer reign with the title and to bury and re-bury the raw roster

b). HHH saw the shitty script and decided to kill Cena's momentum by getting him OFF the tv (for the shooting) and to let him carry the load of the crapfest the movie is

Guest INXS

It's a totaly seperate movie from the one that HHH is slated for. HHH's movie has hit a few problems and is "on hold". I don't think that Cena will have to hit any of his catchphrases, it's a movie where he will be play a different character.

So, John Cena in "Thunder in Paradise: Basic Gunanomics"?

The only question is will the female lead be Traci Lords, Carmen Electra, or Daisy Fuentes?

And can they bring in Sting to reprise his role of "HammerHead" just so we can see him suddenly snap and yell, "I'LL GET YOU CENA!"

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I believe "The Marine" was made with the idea it would star Austin. But now that he's gone, they decided to give it to Cena. However, I think there was some talk that it would go to HHH.

Hunter's movie that keeps getting delayed is some "De Muerte" name, I forget exactly what it is.

This whole movie idea seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Here is a crazy question:

Has Vince ever had anything OUTSIDE of wrestling succeed at all? I know his bodybuilding Federation tanked, the XFL tanked (which wasn't right to the XFL but they didn't have a hook), and now he wants to get into movies when some of the smaller film studios are folding left and right?

Maybe Vince has Adult ADD?

HHH's movie sounded like a Renegade rip-off, but at the time he was supposed to be an ex-Marine. I guess either WWE's writers aren't too creative (snicker) or it is going to go through some re-writes.

Cena's movie: An injured Marine returns from the war to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping.

HHH's movie: A motorcyclist who returns from motorcycling to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping in a desert.

There's a difference.

Cena's movie: An injured Marine returns from the war to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping.

HHH's movie: A motorcyclist who returns from motorcycling to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping in a desert.

There's a difference.

Eddie can be a thief who gets home and finds his wife being kidnapped. The irony itself would sell tickets.

Too........much........material........so........many.......jokes......

*Brain overload*

I'm curious to see how Cena deals with the fact that there's no live crowd around to whore himself off to. He'll probably try to rile up the caterers and the boom mic operator to make himself feel good.

"YA'LL FEELIN' THAT EDITING EQUIPMENT AND DOLLY?! THEN MAKE SOME MOTHER-FREAKIN NOISE!!!!!"

Hhmmm...they're scouting in Australia...well there is a great actor down under by the name of NATHAN JONES! who would be perfect for the role of "The Final Henchman"...they should just call it the FU...or maybe that's what they should just rename the WWE...whatever..why won't Vince just stick to what he's good at.

The only question is will the female lead be Traci Lords, Carmen Electra, or Daisy Fuentes?

Shannon Tweed, silly.

Shannon Tweed, silly.

Pffffffffff.

Tweed is SO 1996.

I think Tawny Kitaen (sp) is due for a comeback. Or maybe Valleri Bertanelli.

I remember reading somewhere last year that Eddie was being considered to play Cheech in a Cheech & Chong remake (no joke). :lol:

Right. I have to give WWE props on that imaginative and poignant title.

Will HHH's be called "Motorcyclist?"

No, I say stick with "De Muerte" because it is Spanish for "Of Death". There's so much mystery! And it plays to more than one demographic! It can't lose!

Guest Jimbo

Why doesn't Vince just stick to fixing his wrestling program and stop wasting money on these idiotic movie/music/etc. ventures.

Ugh.

Guest Big_Jay101

When I first saw the title I had flashbacks of "Cool as Ice", but now i'm just thinking it will be like any other movie on Action Max or The Action Channel.

Guest ArchoanJB

Damn, that sounds awful. Does Vince really expect this to succeed in theatre's? There's a reason Jean Claude Van Dam and all the other actions stars in the like haven't made a theatrical release in years. THEY DON'T MAKE MONEY! 15 million on this...jesus...

Guest bigm350
Why doesn't Vince just stick to fixing his wrestling program and stop wasting money on these idiotic movie/music/etc. ventures.

Ugh.

Because Vince doesn't want to be looked at as a carny. He wants to be mainstream.