TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Looking to get a new computer

Here's where my computer stupids come in. On paper this doesn't look as good to me cause there's no DVD burner, but it costs more. Shows what I know. So basicaly how is a 4600 better than a 2400?

The second system looks to have a better video card. I don't know how much better or anything but... yeah.

Also, does Dell offer any decent systems with a Celeron processor? Unless you're going to be gaming or video editing you'll probably never actually need a P4 processor. A system with a Celeron would be quite a bit cheaper--or you could spend the extra money on upgrades. A decent hardware video card wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: Just looked it up. You could get the 2400 with a Celeron processor for about $100 less. More than likely, you won't notice the difference.

Now that I plan on having my own computer (not a family one) I do plan on spending more time gaming on it

Then you're really going to need a good video card. I'm pretty sure the integrated graphics accelerator in those systems won't be anywhere near able to handle gaming.

Well, with me not finding anything I want...my money's built up a little more. I'm thinking Dell now the more I hear about it. So I'll probably just go get a debit card or something so I can get one.

But they must have ended deals yesterday, cause I'm not nearing the same options.

And forgive me if I say something dumb, cause I don't know much about computers and might say something that doesn't make sense.

My buddy pretty much is trying to pimp me on 80GB Hard drive and 512 SDRAM Mem...past that I really don't know what's what

All prices include shipping (which is free anyway), tax, a floppy drive (which is a little extra), Windows XP, a cheap set up speakers, an optical mouse (cause I like them better), a free printer, and a cord for the printer, which I gotta buy for the printer. So basicaly all that's going to be the same, and here are the guts:

Here's the ones I'm looking at.

------------------------------------

Dimension 2400 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) BP285H

Memory 512MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB systems) 512M3

Monitor 17 in (16.0 in v.i.s., .27dp)

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics IV

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Dual Drives:48x CD-ROM Drive + 8x DVD+RW Drive

$861.71

I could go cheaper on this. But I like the idea of being able to record DVDs.

--------------------

Dell Dimension 4600 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (2x256M) 512M3

Monitor 17 in (16 in viewable,.27dp)

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 IV

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive

$873.44

Here's where my computer stupids come in. On paper this doesn't look as good to me cause there's no DVD burner, but it costs more. Shows what I know. So basicaly how is a 4600 better than a 2400?

-----------------------

Help

YnA, I wound up getting what looks like the same Dimension 4600 listed. Came to $1199 Cdn, plus I got a 3 1/2 Floppy with it, and a free printer. I'm very happy, even with the lack of a DVD burner (I don't burn CDs much, let alone DVDs, so no big deal).

EDIT: Noticed a big difference, though: the one you have listed has 80 GB hard drive. Mine's double that. Interesting...

Keep waiting to find one, though. I saw an ad for a Dimension 4600 that had the opposite: a DVD burner, but no CD burner, and the flat screen was the standard model as opposed to the standard 17-inch monitor. They like mixing it up every week. Mine came to me awfully quick as I ordered it. I've kept it at my parents' place for now as my brother's giving me free software~!, used his internet connection, and I haven't had any problems with spyware yet.

Maybe it's just me, but I think any of Dell's criticisms are REALLY overhyped.

You don't want Dell. Unlike other brands, they put software into the computer that draws upon adware and spyware, making it much more likely for you to get such programs than if you buy any other brand. From what I'm aware, Dell is the only brand that does this, at least to the extensive degree it does.

Well, Dell seems to be the way to go. When I worked as a PC Tech in NYC, the entire building used old Dell machines with NT or 2000 loaded on them. They never had ANY hardware problems, just stupid network problems and users breaking the stuff themselves. They were upgrading all the PCs to newer Dells, and if they thought it was good enough, then Dell must be REALLY good in their minds.

But, hell, if you don't want the software preloaded, just get your hands on a copy of XP, reformat the sucker...