TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Looking to get a new computer

Within 2 weeks time or so I should have enough $$$ saved up to buy a new computer. I planned on getting an HP cause I've had one before and really liked it. But I have friends trying to pimp me on Gateway and Compaq and whatnot.

My hope is to have roughly $650-$750 to spend. (more if I waited, but don't really want to wait much longer)

Any suggestions. I can use a computer well enough, but I'm not really computer smart

Guest JohnnySwift

HP bought out Compaq so it wouldn't matter which you got (if they even sell Compaq anymore, I haven't seen much of them lately)

If you get a Gateway be prepared to be disappointed, I've had a couple friends who've had them and had pretty much nonstop problems with tech support, hardware etc, your mileage may vary though.

For that price you could get a pretty decent Dell, but their tech support is pretty bad too. Ideally the best thing is to build your own computer if you have a way to do it.

Guest suplexmasta

I had that much to spend (each, for 2), and I went ahead and got my local computer shop to custom build them: 2.4gHz, 512 MB RAM, preloaded with XP and Norton.

They haven't given me any trouble.

I use to have eMachines, but I got tired of fixing power switches every six months. The school I go to uses either HPs or customs from the same place I got mine. They're definitely below standard (at least a year out of date), though. Working in the Technology dept., I spent all my time fixing the 20 or so comps in just that room.

If you can wait a month or more you will see that prices will start to fall quickly for the new school year. Get AMD instead of Intel because it is cheaper and more powerful in processing speeds most of the time.

Dude, get a Dell.

I've had no problems with them at all, they have good deals, and it's a very good computer for your money.

Yeah, Dell is the way to go. They build good machines, and their customer service has improved since they moved a lot of it back out of India. Wait for the back-to-school specials, though, unless you see an unbeatable deal come along.

I used to build all my own systems, but the last one I got was bought on eBay. I bought a system from a power seller with a computer business, and got it for about half what it would have cost at the time to buy the same thing from a larger vendor. I could stand a video card upgrade, but the core of the system (P4 2.4 GHz, 512 Mb DDR) is still more than adequate.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I am in the market for a new comp myself and I pretty much have settled that I would get it through Dell. I am just basically waiting for the back to school specials though........

Guest Set Free

Build it. 95% of the time it's cheaper (since you can just dl operating system and software images) and you control what goes in.

You get greater personal satisfaction too.

There's acompany called PCs for everyone that custom builds computers, and I've heard they have really good rates, so Googling the name couldn't hurt

Build it. 95% of the time it's cheaper (since you can just dl operating system and software images) and you control what goes in.

I spent about 2 grand the last time I built my computer, and that was just the tower's hardware. If I added a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, and printer It would have been a lot more than that.

For the complete package go E-machines, HP, Compaq(Yes they still make and sell them, and they're pretty sweet now), or Dell. The back-to-school prices are already coming in, just check the adds, or try a Dell referbished computer.

As an aside, not to disagree with you, but for the love of god, don't buy a COMPAQ.

I had three of them before I got my DELL, and the two companies are like night and day. My COMPAQs were always fucking up, having problems with bugs, etc. Calling "customer service" was a joke; Long wait times, people who didn't know what they were doing, etc.

Dell is the best bet, they have very good prices, and (I think) on most of their computers, a two year warranty that covers EVERYTHING. I had a problem with my CDROM drive that wasn't fixable over the phone, so the next day, they hired a technician to come out and fix it. Done and done, no problems.

Avoid Compaq like the plague.

You also have to remember that Compaq isn't what it used to be now. Dell is a very good computer, I'll give you that. However, the warranty they offer doesn't cover everything, it only covers hardware. Most people are probably aware of that, but I also get so many people coming to me with warranty's and their software issues that I have to correct you on that.

Oh, I know that, but I can figure out software for the most part, and I figure that if I can, anyone else can.

Dell is excellent with their service on hardware, which more than makes up for it.

Oh, I know that, but I can figure out software for the most part, and I figure that if I can, anyone else can.

If only. You'd be surprised at how many people need to have their rights to operate a computer revoked. ;)

Bah, not seeing any great back to school deals in my price range.

There's a Compaq with very nice stats at Sams Club for $600, but you people have scared me on them. Saw a couple HPs I like...but neither came with a screen. And I keep seeing E-Machine, but I've never heard anything about them.

Well, I have a Compaq Presario, from 2001, and I have been itching to get a new PC, but I don't have money. Overall, nothing has happened to the PC, I haven't had any hardware problem, just problems I caused myself, or never did anything about them (viruses). But, my PC just sucks though....700MHZ, 20GB HDD, 256MB....god I can't stand it...

But yeah, most of the time, building a PC is cheaper. My friend built a PC that would have cost him over $2000, and he only spent $800. He used high quality parts for the PC, and built himself quite the gaming rig.

Do not get a E-Machine it is the cheapest and worst thing you can buy.

I have one right now. I don't have any real problems with it. I don't do anyting processor intensive with it and I haven't had any problems with it at all. 128MB isn't much RAM, but that'd be very fixable if I wasn't building my own and giving this one to my sister.

For the price, E-Machines are perfectly fine.

I'm on my second Gateway and have had no problems with any hardware or had any tech support issues. I only got a new machine because the old one had too small of a hard drive and too little RAM to be much good for me anymore and I'm not competent enough to upgrade that stuff myself.

They've got my full endorsment and I really don't know why Gateway gets such a bad rap.

Well, with me not finding anything I want...my money's built up a little more. I'm thinking Dell now the more I hear about it. So I'll probably just go get a debit card or something so I can get one.

But they must have ended deals yesterday, cause I'm not nearing the same options.

And forgive me if I say something dumb, cause I don't know much about computers and might say something that doesn't make sense.

My buddy pretty much is trying to pimp me on 80GB Hard drive and 512 SDRAM Mem...past that I really don't know what's what

All prices include shipping (which is free anyway), tax, a floppy drive (which is a little extra), Windows XP, a cheap set up speakers, an optical mouse (cause I like them better), a free printer, and a cord for the printer, which I gotta buy for the printer. So basicaly all that's going to be the same, and here are the guts:

Here's the ones I'm looking at.

------------------------------------

Dimension 2400 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) BP285H

Memory 512MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB systems) 512M3

Monitor 17 in (16.0 in v.i.s., .27dp)

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics IV

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Dual Drives:48x CD-ROM Drive + 8x DVD+RW Drive

$861.71

I could go cheaper on this. But I like the idea of being able to record DVDs.

--------------------

Dell Dimension 4600 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (2x256M) 512M3

Monitor 17 in (16 in viewable,.27dp)

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 IV

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive

$873.44

Here's where my computer stupids come in. On paper this doesn't look as good to me cause there's no DVD burner, but it costs more. Shows what I know. So basicaly how is a 4600 better than a 2400?

-----------------------

Help

You don't want Dell. Unlike other brands, they put software into the computer that draws upon adware and spyware, making it much more likely for you to get such programs than if you buy any other brand. From what I'm aware, Dell is the only brand that does this, at least to the extensive degree it does.