TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrigidSoul

Crying over wrestling

Guest Dids
I have a rather high definition of art, so I would consider that recycled, unoriginal music isn't art.

I would consider you something of a snob then.

I'm a music snob inasmuch as I think a great deal of it sucks, but I can't stand people who get up on their high horse and proclaim something not to be art because it doesn't meat their standards. Especially when it's some clown who typically doens't even understand the artitistic elements involved in something like hip-hop music.*

*- not talking about Tyler here, just something that as a hip-hop fan, I run into A LOT.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I suspended him for one hour so that he might learn the value of message board inconvenience. With any luck, he'll pull a Marney and leave forever.

I've got to moderate his crap because people actively complain about it as trolling, if he can't take a fucking hint, he's banned then. I really don't have the patience.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Lividity isn't art, it's people being gross for the sake of it. Still music, though.

Or how about Ace of Base?

Every fucking song had the same backbeat. The SAME. Surely this is not the hallmark of a true artist.

Guest Dids

Oh, I think it's almost undeniably art by any REASONABLE standard. It's just very shitty, recycled art.

I think you make much more sense if you judge the quality of art rather than trying to cast judgements on whether it actually is art or not.

Then again people paint a canvas one solid color and call it art. I call it doing the minimal effort to get the money, because one day they saw some abstract art and said to themselves, "I can do that and get money for it!?"

Guest Dids

Umm... isn't this the same thing as the "shit on a plate" point I made from like two pages ago?

That by itself cannot be considered art.

However, stick a plastic Jesus statue in the shit, now we're talking!

American Wrestling maybe, but you go over to Japan or Mexico where they still treat it with respect and I can see it as an art form. It's part acting, part dancing (in that it's choreographed and someone may lead or may not), part athleticism, and part storytelling. When they all are evenly mixed it becomes something unique...when they're not...it becomes the equivelent of Abstract Art gone bad.

IMHO, good wrestling is art, but you could never call Scott Steiner/HHH art.

I don't think that even the dumbest of WWE fans would go to those lengths.

And no, not all wrestling is art, but like LPYC said, some is.

I consider Manos: The Hands of Fate to be a work of art, yet it is terrible in almost every way. Is somebody finds enough appritiation for something, it is art, be it a 2 yr old's crayon drawing or bottles being broken at rthymic intervals.

Imitation of art is not art. You an copy someones painting or song, but that does not make you an artist.

I consider Manos: The Hands of Fate to be a work of art, yet it is terrible in almost every way. Is somebody finds enough appritiation for something, it is art, be it a 2 yr old's crayon drawing or bottles being broken at rthymic intervals.

I think that depends on what they were trying to do with it.

In the case of Manos some guy made a bet that he could take a small budget and make a great horror movie out of it, but instead he made the most boring movie ever. I don't think that the guy who made it would even claim it as art now.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Since AOO seems to take the bitch route with his modding, I'll be careful and limit myself to one point and one observation:

There is a set definition for the word art that has nothing to do with quality or value.

And anyone else find it ironic that in a thread about masculinity a mod suspended someone because he couldn't handle discussing it like well....a man? Glad there was something funny about all of that.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

You mean like an irrelevant post calling someone a stupid cock....?