TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Marlins trade Penny/Choi to Dodgers

All around, he's a very good player. He can hit for power, bunt, has speed and is solid defensively. Some argue that he couldn't handle the pressure that a bigger stage (Chicago) presented, but I think it's clear he wasn't ever really the same after that incident with Kerry Wood earlier in 2003.

Plus he is cheap for the next 3 1/2 years.

I am talking to a friend in LA on AIM right now and he said the LA media is having a shit fit over this deal. He says LoDuca is a god out there and people are calling for DePodesta's head.

I know it's just one game, but the Dodgers are already feeling not having Mota. They were up 2-1 in the 8th and Dreifort gives up the lead relitively quickly. Not a good start for the new set-up man.

Well, since the Dodgers didn't get CJ, who plays catcher now? Brent Mayne?

I still think Florida gets the better of the deal. LA has the better record at this point, but I'd be more afraid of FL. in the postseason, as long as they DON'T throw Koch out there.

Guest Rrrsh

Now that the Marlins picked up an insurance SP and another arm for the Pen, all I worry now is that guys like Connie and Encarnasion wont be as hot as they were last year.

But overall, job well done Marlins.

Guest Anglesault
Who was the guy having an orgasm when LoDuca hit that homer tonight?

That was kind of disturbing, wasn't it?

Now that the Marlins picked up an insurance SP and another arm for the Pen, all I worry now is that guys like Connie and Encarnasion wont be as hot as they were last year.

I don't know about that. By trading Penny, one of their top starters, and not getting another starter in return, going out and securing another starter was vital. Too bad Valdes was the best they could do. And Conine and Encarnacion have both already been cooler than they were last season. I think the Marlins made a smart move filling the void behind the plate and in the pen, but they sort of screwed up their rotation there; especially when you consider that Beckett isn't nearly what he was last year and that's when he's actually off the DL.

When a team who's still in the race for the playoffs basically gives away one of their starters (Valdez) you know he's not that good......

Anyway, Beckett is a guy who, if they get that far, I can easily see being an ace again in the post season. He's just a clutch guy in my book, compare the regular season stats to last year in the playoffs, he stepped it up. Remember, he wasn't throwing that great last year until the playoffs either.

The big question marks for Florida are D-Train and Burnett, both of whom have KILLED me in fantasy baseball this year. Can Burnett stay healthy? Can he get to full strength on a consistent basis? How will he fare with postseason pressure?

D-Train in particular is a complete puzzle when it comes to fantasy benching/starting. Whenever I start him he gets rocked, whenever I bench him he pitches great, and when I leave him in for a couple weeks straight I end up with a cumulative 4.8 era 1.4 whip. I really hate Dontrelle Willis :angry:

Looking into it further, here are two OPS differences to look at.

.634 OPS .793 OPS = .159 OPS difference

.706 OPS .880 OPS = .174 OPS difference

The first is the difference between Paul LoDuca and Mike Redmond.

The second is the difference between Hee Seop Choi and Juan Encarnacion.

Going on the assumption that Jeff Conine moves to first and Juan Encarnacion takes over in left they lose a little bit of total OPS. Then take into account the massive Penny-Valdez downgrade, which 20 innings of Mota can not counter, and I feel much, much better about this trade now.

Well since my beloved Dodgers got 0 except Mayne and Finley, and now with Dreifort as the new setup man who is as fragile as a porcelain doll. It will be once again more than likely be another long winter of discontent for the Blue Crew. Then again I should expect this from a GM who was mentored by a GM who told Miguel Tejada that he to look for another team before the begining of last season (Billy Beane).

Well since my beloved Dodgers got 0 except Mayne and Finley, and now with Dreifort as the new setup man who is as fragile as a porcelain doll. It will be once again more than likely be another long winter of discontent for the Blue Crew. Then again I should expect this from a GM who was mentored by a GM who told Miguel Tejada that he to look for another team before the begining of last season (Billy Beane).

Yes because clearly the A's are doing awful and their new SS Bobby Crosby(who is a HELL of a lot cheaper) is stinking up the joint :bonk:

Oakland and Boston have both been pretty successful under "Stathead" GM's so I don't think Dodger fans will be complaining in a couple of years.

Dodgers Get...

Brent Mayne

- 2004: .255/.343/.340 in 36 games

- 2003: .245/.307/.344 in 113 games

- 2002: .236/.309/.310 in 101 games

- 43 errors and .993 F% as a catcher(Over 1,000 games)

Steve Finley

- 2004: .275/.338/.490 prior to trade

- 2003: .287/.363/.500

- 2002: .287/.370/.499

Brad Penny

- 2004: 3.15 ERA prior to the trade

- 2003: 4.13 ERA

- 2002: 4.66 ERA

- 2001: 3.69 ERA

Heep Seop Choi

- 2004: .270/.388/.495 for Florida prior to the trade

- 2003: .218/.350/.421 in only 80 games

Lost...

Guillermo Mota

- 2004: 2.14 ERA prior to trade

- 2003: 1.97 ERA

- 2002: 4.15 ERA

- 2001: 5.26 ERA

Juan Encarnacion

- 2004: .235/.289/.417 prior to trade

- 2003: .270/.313/.446

- 2002: .270/.324/.446

Paul LoDuca

- 2004: .301/.351/.444 for the Dodgers prior to the trade

- 2003: .273/.335/.377

- 2002: .281/.330/.402

- 2001: .320/.374/.543 in 125 games

- 32 errors and .990 F% as a catcher(Over 400 games)

Conclusion: Dodgers get a damn good upgrade in the OF from Encarnacion to Steve Finley. They also get a capable #3 starter in Brad Penny. Their bullpen loses a great pitcher in Mota but they can still depend on Dreifort, Gagne and Wilson Alvarez if he gets moved back. They get a great defensive catcher in Brent Mayne who will platoon with Ross. Granted LoDuca brought the offense but the Dodgers can still hit with Beltre, Bradley, Green and Choi. LoDuca the "team leader" has also hit .254/.309/.376 for his career after the all-star break which is fucking awful. Yhency Brazoban, a very good pitcher will likely get called up from AAA after starting the year in AA to also help out the Dodger bullpen.

Guest Rrrsh

I don't know about that. By trading Penny, one of their top starters, and not getting another starter in return, going out and securing another starter was vital. Too bad Valdes was the best they could do. And Conine and Encarnacion have both already been cooler than they were last season. I think the Marlins made a smart move filling the void behind the plate and in the pen, but they sort of screwed up their rotation there; especially when you consider that Beckett isn't nearly what he was last year and that's when he's actually off the DL.

If Beckett is not healthy, then the Marlins aren't winning shit, with or without Penny.

However, if Beckett is healthy, going into the post-season, I'll take Beckett-Pavano-Willis with their pen.

I'm telling you, the Dodgers' pen is going to be shot by September at this rate. Thanks to extra frames, Gagne has gone three innings today, throwing about 40 pitches. I guess Tracy's figuring that with the game being as important as it is and there being an off day tomorrow, going with the closer for as long as possible is the way to go.

Wilson Alvarez could easily be the long relief man going 2-3 IP if needed. Also if they do call up Brazoban then he and Dreifort can pitch an inning or two before Gagne comes in. With the addition of Penny, the Dodgers get another starter who can go 6+ IP.

Kevin Modesti in the Daily News.....

The minuses in all this are the potential dilution of the clubhouse chemistry with the loss of the popular Lo Duca, though for all of the talk about his heart-and-soul role in the clubhouse, it's hard to say the Dodgers can't win without a player they never won with

Guest Rrrsh

Peirre

Castillo

Cabrera

Lowell

La Doca

Encarnasion

Connie

Gonzalez

Pitcher

If Beckett is healthy, the Marlins will be fine.

Who was the guy having an orgasm when LoDuca hit that homer tonight?

That was kind of disturbing, wasn't it?

Tommy Hutton, the Marlins color announcer.

Yeah, it was kind of crazy.