TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
strummer

3 PPV in 6 weeks Experiment Results for WWE

In the latest information, updated on 7/30, the preliminary buyrate for the Bash was about 230,000 buys. Bad Blood did about 260,000 buys while Vengeance delivered in the area of 215,000 buys.

Credit: PWInsider

The numbers are down from last year, but I think they will consider this a success and probably see more PPVs next year.

Sometimes I feel like Vince is going to push me over the dge at some point and cause me to be turned off to the product forever.

I just can't see more PPVs working in the long run. It seems like overexposure to me.

i'd also like to know why the GAB got more buys tha Vengeance. that's vey very wrong.

Vengeance was a better show than GAB, but Vengeance was a show with next to zero marketing it seemed like. The show was tossed together at the end of this 3 PPV deal, and nobody really cared about it.

Also keep in mind that the GAB was "free" to military personnel, but they still had to order it and pay for it as usual, and then got reimbursed later on, so that could explain the high number for the show.

I can tell you why Great American Bash did a high buyrate.

The GAB was not part of the PPV package plan for bars (or what WWE calls "Blast Areas") that show WWE PPVs. Our usual group that goes to Hooters to watch PPVs went and was told that they weren't showing GAB because it wasn't part of the package. So, we went back to a friends house and he ordered it. I'm sure a lot of other people ended up doing this too.

So the numbers went down as the summer continued.

I guess I'm interested to see how the September/October PPVs do. And really, it will be interesting to see how Summerslam does compared to the past few years.

Guest bigm350

I don't know how anybody could have ordered the Great American Trash. From all accounts, that was an abomination of a show.

Guest Staravenger
I don't know how anybody could have ordered the Great American Trash. From all accounts, that was an abomination of a show.

The only real explanation is Vince McMahon bought the show 150,000 times.

Guest bigm350

The only real explanation is Vince McMahon bought the show 150,000 times.

Yeah, or friends of the family.

Guest TheAustralian

So HBK V HHH did a much better Buyrate then HHH V Benoit

:huh:

Didn't see that happening.

Cant wait to hear the excuses of the Benoit fans.

Guest Brian

Results were pretty much expected when you burn out the fanbase like that. The more shows, the fewer the buys for the latter occuring shows. Maybe the Bash should have theoritically done better numbers since it was the only SmackDown offering, but oh well.

Guest Staravenger

Benoit vs. Kane drew a bigger rating than Benoit vs. HHH. (Using the World Title is automatic Main Event excuse)

I might be making an "excuse," but was the 2 week build-up of Benoit/HHH written nearly as well as the 4 week build-up of HHH/HBK, not even including that HHH/HBK have nearly 4 years of backstory? Did HHH and HBK have their entire match revolve around Eugene, like Benoit had to deal with? Like the aforementioned point, was the fanbase put through the 3rd PPV in 6 weeks for Benoit/HHH, or the first in 4 weeks like HHH/HBK?

There are many more points, including HHH/HBK having a world title match as part of their undercard. Statistically, HHH/HBK won by about 50,000 or whatever. But, this was set up to work that way, and I think anyone who isn't bent on making it seem as if Benoit is a failure as champion sees it this way. It's not strictly facts, but the entire situation that caused the difference.

Jason

Guest TheAustralian

HHH V Benoit had been building for 6 months, while both the PPV and the Iron Man match failed to get rate "good".

I just find it funny because if I had time I would like at past threads because I remember when people on this site criticised Bad Blood's Buy rate and blamed it on HBK.

And now we find out Vengeance got a shocking Buyrate but of course some have a thousand excuses to explain it away.

Interesting to say the least.