Overrated: Patrick Ewing

Underrated: Eric Snow

G'Town Hoyas

==========

Overrated: Othella Harrington

Underrated: Kyle-Lee Watson......j/k....um, I guess Jerome Williams

Browns

======

Overrated: Kellen Winslow II (until he shows me something)

Underrated: Antonio Langham

Guest Staravenger

I really have to disagree on a few. Rik Smits was not under-rated in my opinion. He was consistantly having above average seasons, but I wouldn't call him GREAT or anything. Too bad the Pacers never won the NBA Finals. They always played good enough to be the champs.

Mis-read the Kenny Anderson & Patrick Ewing ones (didn't notice for particular team :D), so just one disagree. Ewing was WAY past his prime by the time he was sent to the Sonics, and was battling knee problems as well. Anderson moved around a few times, so I don't keep dibs too much on his stats with a particular team, but he seemed to have consistantly good seasons.

Interesting Topic

Phillies

--------

Overrated: I want to say Larry Bowa, but I'm going with Chuck Klein. He made the HOF because he played in the hitter friendly Baker's Bowl in the 1930s.

Underrated: My gut reaction is Bobby Abreu, but that seems too obvious. Let's take Roy Thomas. Largely forgotten today, he led the league in walks seven times, and played excellent defense in center field.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Browns:

Overrated: Kellen Winslow II

Underrated: Andra Davis (LB)

Reds:

Overrated: Danny Grave

Underrated: Ryan Freel (the main can play almost any defensive position well)

Pistons:

Underrated: the whole team

Blue Jackets:

Underrated: Marc Dennis (amazing save percentage)

Overrated: Tony Parker -He has choked in the big games of the playoffs.

Underrated: Avery Johnson - The Lil General was a good point guard for the team and improved almost every year he played in the league. Had a decent layup that he would use if the lane opened up. Was the ultimate good guy with southern hospitality who gave some of the best interviews on local tv.

Guest Redhawk
I really have to disagree on a few. Rik Smits was not under-rated in my opinion. He was consistantly having above average seasons, but I wouldn't call him GREAT or anything. Too bad the Pacers never won the NBA Finals. They always played good enough to be the champs.

Mis-read the Kenny Anderson & Patrick Ewing ones (didn't notice for particular team :D), so just one disagree. Ewing was WAY past his prime by the time he was sent to the Sonics, and was battling knee problems as well. Anderson moved around a few times, so I don't keep dibs too much on his stats with a particular team, but he seemed to have consistantly good seasons.

While I wouldn't put Rik Smits in the same class as the superstar Centers of that era (Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Zo, Shaq), he was just a notch below. But whenever people talked about Indiana, it was always Chuck Person or Reggie Miller.

Up here in Seattle, Ewing's acquisition was hyped as a big deal.

Kenny Anderson I put because he was supposed to be the best PG ever when he was coming out of HS and at GaTech.

Guest Staravenger
While I wouldn't put Rik Smits in the same class as the superstar Centers of that era (Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Zo, Shaq), he was just a notch below. But whenever people talked about Indiana, it was always Chuck Person or Reggie Miller.

Up here in Seattle, Ewing's acquisition was hyped as a big deal.

Kenny Anderson I put because he was supposed to be the best PG ever when he was coming out of HS and at GaTech.

I must be one of the few who think of the Pacers of the early & mid 90s and think Smits & Miller.

Whoever thought Ewing was a good aquisition should've been shot in the head. His last season with the Knicks was in my opinion, his worst year ever in the NBA, and he had slowly declined in every category. (and again, the declining health) Also I think first season of his career with less than 20 PPG average before being sent to seattle.

Can someone be both overrated and underrated?

There's people around here that think Jason White is the best player to ever touch a football in Oklahoma. That may be true but he's not jesus as some would lead you to believe.

Meanwhile you have another group of people that think he's the antichrist. They think he's the worst player to ever touch a football in Oklahoma....which is shocking b/c he had the best season of any OU QB ever, he won the Heisman trophy and for some reason everyone thinks the last two games were his fault when the Kansas State game he was injured and OU's defense dropped the ball big. And he got pounded by a good defense in the Sugar Bowl. So I'm stumped as to why everyone think he's so terrible.

And then you have these two factions that meet and it's all out warfare....poor kid.

Bruins:

Overrated - Joe Thornton. Still hasn't become who he was supposed to be, despite having numerous chances to make the leap.

Underrated - Glen Murray.

Guest Rrrsh

Canucks:

Over: Sopel

Under: Matt Cooke

Marlins

Over: No one really, I guess Willis

Under: Migel Cabrera

Pacers:

Over: Reggie Miller as of late

Under: Jamaal Tinsley

Montreal Canadiens

-----------------------

Over - Jose Theodore

I personally love him, but he has the WORST five hole in the NHL which pretty much proves how good he is at everything else, but still he gives up more 5hole goals then any other goalie in the league.

Under - Richard Zednik

Weak first round inthe playoffs this year probably has a bit to do with that, but even Boston fans have to recognize how well he played two years ago in the playoffs, and he's consistently been our best offensive player

Oilers:

Overrated - Doug Weight. The guy had some great seasons point wise with us, but for the playoffs he never really showed that he could help us as a leader.

Underrated - Grant Fuhr. A lot of people still consider him not to be that good because of his stats, but when the Oilers needed him to be there for them, he made key stops.

My Ducks

Overrated: Paul Kariya - he was an above average player on some lower than average teams. His run with the Avalanche was a bomb. (I know he got injured.)

Underrated: Martin Gerber- he should have been the #1 goalie last season instead of Giguere.

Devils

Overrated: Broduer - he has the trap, Scott Stevens, and Scott Niedermayer in front of him. He should have the lowest GAA in the NHL.

Underrated: Um.. Scott Gomez and Broduer's backup Corey Schwab.

Guest MikeSC

Hmm:

Buffalo Bills ---

Overrated: Cornelius Bennett. Heck, I liked Bennett, but Darryl Talley was the MAN in the linebacking corps and the only truly great LB. Bennett was very good --- but he never earned his Pro Bowl slots. Without Talley, he was above average.

Underrated: Steve Tasker. Best special teams guy in history --- and whenever they let him actually play WR, he seemed to deliver well. I don't know why they didn't have that much faith in him.

Atlanta Braves ---

Overrated: Kenny Lofton. I thought he was going to be something special. He just withered and died. Whatever he had in Cleveland he LEFT in Cleveland.

Underrated: Nobody really pops to mind. Anybody good was known to be good.

Atlanta Hawks ---

Overrated: Kevin Willis. He just didn't wow me at any point. He was an All-Star once in Atlanta and I don't even know why.

Underrated: Mookie Blaylock. He was one of the best PG's in the league. Absolutely stellar. Never seemed to get the credit he deserved.

-=Mike

Guest Vitamin X

Los Angeles Lakers

Overrated: Shaquille O'Neal

Underrated: Derek Fisher

Green Bay Packers

Overrated: Umm....I think I would file Antonio Freeman, Dorsey Levens, and Tyrone Williams under this one. And they proved themselves as such after their stint with Green Bay.

Underrated: Mike McKenzie

Chicago Bears:

Overrated: Marcus Robinson

Underrated: Raymont Harris

Bulls:

Overrated: Scottie Pippen

Underrated: John Paxson

Hawks:

Alex Zhamnov

Gary Suter

Cubs:

Rod Beck

Bill Mueller

Sox:

Albert Belle

Mike Caruso

now down in Dallas

Cowboys:

Keyshawn Johnson or Eddie George

Dat Nyugen

Stars:

most of the team

Brendan Marrow

Mavericks:

Antoine Walker

Marquis Daniels

Rangers:

Alfonso Soriano

Mark Teixiera

all time...

Wayne Gretzky

Pistol Pete Marovich

Guest PlatinumBoy
Hmm:

Buffalo Bills ---

Overrated: Cornelius Bennett. Heck, I liked Bennett, but Darryl Talley was the MAN in the linebacking corps and the only truly great LB. Bennett was very good --- but he never earned his Pro Bowl slots. Without Talley, he was above average.

Underrated: Steve Tasker. Best special teams guy in history --- and whenever they let him actually play WR, he seemed to deliver well. I don't know why they didn't have that much faith in him.

Atlanta Braves ---

Overrated: Kenny Lofton. I thought he was going to be something special. He just withered and died. Whatever he had in Cleveland he LEFT in Cleveland.

Atlanta Hawks ---

Overrated: Kevin Willis. He just didn't wow me at any point. He was an All-Star once in Atlanta and I don't even know why.

Underrated: Mookie Blaylock. He was one of the best PG's in the league. Absolutely stellar. Never seemed to get the credit he deserved.

-=Mike

For the Braves I would say that Mark Lemke was VERY underrated in his years there. He never was the big star of the team, but always came through in a pitch and was a good batter with runners on base.

Overrated, Part 1: Chris Mullin. Sure, he was still a great shooter, but he wasn't worth trading away Damps for. Call me crazy, but that extra body may have been enough to put us over the top in 2000.

Part 2: Al Harrington. Did little outside of making short jumpers and getting a few rebounds here and there, and was a complete hack in the playoffs. He let that 40-point game against the Hawks REALLY get to his head.

Underrated, Part 1: Ron Artest. One of the most complete players in the league, I can't think of any aspect of his game that's a weakness. Yet the only press he seems to get is the bad kind.

Part 2: Jalen Rose. Had four great seasons here, NEVER made an All-star team. He really got a raw deal here after the Finals year, too.

Guest Staravenger
Overrated:  Scottie Pippen

Underrated:  John Paxson

Couldn't agree more. Seems like Pippen was always made out to be a great player, but when it was time for him to lead the Bulls to the NBA Championship, they failed.

Guest MikeSC
Hmm:

Buffalo Bills ---

Atlanta Braves ---

Atlanta Hawks ---

-=Mike

For the Braves I would say that Mark Lemke was VERY underrated in his years there. He never was the big star of the team, but always came through in a pitch and was a good batter with runners on base.

Lemke, in the post-season, was amazing. During the regular season, though, he seemed to always hover around .230. However, his defense was top-notch.

-=Mike

I'll just go with my current teams:

Cardinals

Overrated: Matt Morris (If only for the fact that he is supposed to be a #1 quality pitcher and is so hit or miss lately)

Underrated: Yadier Molina (If Matheny was not such a great defensive catcher, Molina could easily step in, and he has a better bat.)

Bengals

Overrated: Peter Warrick (If you draft somebody 4th overall, he better be a No.1 WR, but he only flourished once defenses focused on Chad Johnson.)

Underrated: Levi Jones (Panned by Mel Kiper Jr. when the Bengals made the selection, Jones will likely have a Pro Bowl season.)

Jazz

Overrated: None that I can think of, I guess we'll have to see what Boozer can do.

Underrated: Andrei Kirilenko (Many complained about his All-Star selection because of his PPG, but is he one of the most complete players in the league.)

Blues

Overrated: Keith Tkachuk

Underrated: Jamal Mayers

Couldn't agree more. Seems like Pippen was always made out to be a great player, but when it was time for him to lead the Bulls to the NBA Championship, they failed.

He still led the team in all major statistical categories in 94 and led them to the playoffs. You can't really expect a team to lose its best player and still win a championship the next season.

Pippen's post-Chicago career wasn't great, but he was an excellent player in Chicago.

Definitely agreed that John Paxson was seriously underrated, though.

Lofton hit .333 with a .409 OBP in Atlanta. And that's considering he left a hitters' park in Cleveland for a pitchers' park in Atlanta. His steals and home runs fell, but bring in other improvements into the equation, and he was every bit as valuable as in his other seasons.

Gretzky was a great player, no doubt. He was great. But part of his mystique (his ridiculous amount of points) where gained in a time where expansion watered down the league to the point where he could put up those numbers on a yearly basis. Also, he won his last stanley cup about fifteen years or so before he retired....never could "lead" a team to a Stanley Cup. I honestly don't count Edmonton because if you just look at what he had around him, it was a forgone conclusion they would whip everyone's asses.

I believe he was an example of the right place at the right time adage. He was great, no doubt, love to have him on a team, even now.

That's my view, and I'll stick with it.

On to Pippen....He was great in 94 because well, he was definitely in his prime and had something to prove. He was motivated to show he could win without Jordan. They should've won that year, but Hue Hollins fucked them over. In his later years, I don't think he was very motivated....96-98 he was Robin to Jordan's Batman, and could pretty much pick his spots with his off the glass leaners, occasional steal, and a crisp pass.

After MJ retired, he was done. He was done physically, and emotionally. He went to the Rockets, seemed to go through the motions and live on his past glory, and he's been doing it ever since.

I will always remember him dunking on Ewing in 94, standing over him, and giving him that, "I'm still here, fuck." face. That was a great rivalry back in the day, because you could honestly look at The Knicks and say, "Those are the bad guys!"

Some of us still do say that. :)

Also, I would have loved to seen that series between us and the Bulls in 94.

Fuck yeah. The series would've been crazy. Market Square Arena and the old Chicago Stadium.

I remember I actually went to one of the last games there...Game 2 against the Cavs in the Eastern Quarters. It was a great game.