TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmazingRen

Did TNA ruin AJ's TNA career?

I just got finished watching SummerSlam and watching Randy win the title was memorable for two reasons:

1. It was CLEAN and out of nowhere

2. After the match he stayed in the ring long enough to get his respect

Now, look at AJ's first title win. His was not memorable for 5 reasons

1. He didn't win it cleanly

2. Russo held on to the damn thing like he won it

3 He didn't stay in the ring to celebrate

4. It was ruined by the announcement of Sting

5. He wasn't a face (he should have won it as a face instead of a heel)

It doesn't even matter if AJ gets the title now because he has already had the title twice. This was TNA's chance to create their own star (I know he was ay ROH first, but he wasn't seen national) and they killed it making the feud between Russo and Jarrett more important than AJ's win.

So my question is did TNA ruin his TNA wrestler career?

I think he was hurt the most by never winning any big match cleanly after his first winnings of the X-Division and Tag Team titles. When you don't let a wrestler win cleanly, the fans begin to think that he CAN'T win cleanly. See: Jericho, Chris as Undisputed Champion, WWE.

AJ has so much talent - both as a high-flyer and as an all-around wrestler - that it downright sickens me how TNA treats him. Although, to change up the flow of things, I won't even mention whose probably doing this on purpose to make himself look good (but his picture is my avatar).

Ren's points on what makes a memoral title win are good ones. TNA can't seem to understand that sorta stuff though, and that's why they've never had a memorable title match, a memorable title win, or even a big fued. that's something WWE will always be great at that TNA can't do.

Actually, TNA did have two big feuds. Lynn/Styles and AMW/XXX. AMW regaining the titles from XXX was memorable (as was the cage match), and the Lynn/Styles feud put TNA on the map.

Every other feud has been pretty shit, though.

Guest Donners

It's hardly ruined his career. He's still a top wrestler at the company. His first title reign was a bit of a mess, though.

As for SummerSlam, I have to laugh at people getting stuck into TNA for their crowds. That was the second-biggest trainwreck of the year, just behind GAB.

Actually, TNA did have two big feuds. Lynn/Styles and AMW/XXX. AMW regaining the titles from XXX was memorable (as was the cage match), and the Lynn/Styles feud put TNA on the map.

Every other feud has been pretty shit, though.

I should've said "main event fued" or "World Title fued". they've never had a memorable one of those. except, of course, for Raven vs. Jarrett, but a totally fucked up pay off kinda cancels out a good build-up.

and if we just have to compare TNA to WWE, I'm looking forward to the HHH/Orton storyline more than anything TNA has given me lately....

As for SummerSlam, I have to laugh at people getting stuck into TNA for their crowds. That was the second-biggest trainwreck of the year, just behind GAB.

I'd rather fans vocalize how much they don't like what they're seeing than just sitting on their hands.

A live crowd, even if they're live with distaste, is better than a dead one.

Guest MikeSC
It's hardly ruined his career. He's still a top wrestler at the company. His first title reign was a bit of a mess, though.

Hmm, so to "salvage" TNA, you compare it to two of the worst WWE shows of the year?

And, ironically, both shows were better than all but about 2 TNA shows this year to date.

How sad is that?

Also, remember one thing --- the WWE actually HAD people in attendance and MOST of them actually paid to be there.

-=Mike

I don't think AJ styles career has been hurt by TNA what so ever. Infact TNA was when AJ was able to get his name big. It was really the first time I really heard about him, yes I knew he was in WCW but TNA made me hear about him more and more as he went. I don't think his career is being hurt right now, he's just not in the main event spot like Hardy, JJ, Killings, and Brown are at the moment.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I am surprised that this is even getting asked. AJ has been booked as a promanent part of the show for quite sometime now. Besides JJ and more recently a Jeff Hardy.....who gets more airtime than AJ? Now, I agree that he hasn't exactly thrust into the right situation and that his NWA Title runs were filled with booking stupidity, but still AJ continues as one of the featured talents that are actually worth a shit.

Guest whitemilesdavis

TNA made AJ. That's all there is to it. They are the only national company that would use a guy his type. He's got the talent, no doubt, but the only reason you wrestle on indies night after night is to get a shot in a national company. AJ wouldn't work in WWE, so one choice is left.

Guest Dynamite Kido
TNA made AJ. That's all there is to it. They are the only national company that would use a guy his type. He's got the talent, no doubt, but the only reason you wrestle on indies night after night is to get a shot in a national company. AJ wouldn't work in WWE, so one choice is left.

Meh, it kinda goes both ways. I wouldn't say that TNA made AJ as much as I would say that AJ helped make TNA. AJ would have been quite the star on the indies, especially if he was available to companies like IWA-MS and ROH on a regular basis....he would still be as good as he is now. Without AJ though, it's hard to say that TNA would have done what they've done so far. I would agree with you though on the comment that TNA is the only national company that would display him in they way they do.......as we know that the WWE wouldn't whatsoever.

Guest whitemilesdavis

True, but without TNA, he would be even more of an unknown than he is now.

I wouldn't say that TNA made AJ as much as I would say that AJ helped make TNA.

Very good point.

Guest Dynamite Kido
True, but without TNA, he would be even more of an unknown than he is now.

You think? Does TNA really get him THAT much more attention than if he only wrestled on ROH for example? I don't think they do, considering that they majority of TNA fans are internet ones. They say that TNA gets on average of 6,000 buys per show.......so how many people know AJ only from TNA?

Guest whitemilesdavis

Me. Well, not totally true, as I saw him in Wildside, but of the larger companies, TNA is the only place I've actually watched him.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Me. Well, not totally true, as I saw him in Wildside, but of the larger companies, TNA is the only place I've actually watched him.

Me personally, the first time I ever saw AJ was on a WWA PPV. They shortly fizzled out after that and AJ then went to TNA. Do YOU really think that most TNA fans saw AJ elsewhere first though?

Guest whitemilesdavis
Me personally, the first time I ever saw AJ was on a WWA PPV.

You know what? Me too. I forgot about that. They had all those cruisers in one match. Seems like LO-Ki was in there too. I just remember the Styles Clash that night.

Do YOU really think that most TNA fans saw AJ elsewhere first though?

I don't know. But, if TNA makes it big, his work in other promotions will cease to exist, and all casual fans will see him as a TNA boy.

Guest Dynamite Kido
You know what? Me too. I forgot about that. They had all those cruisers in one match. Seems like LO-Ki was in there too. I just remember the Styles Clash that night.

I don't know. But, if TNA makes it big, his work in other promotions will cease to exist, and all casual fans will see him as a TNA boy.

Yep. That match I believe was AJ vs. Shark Boy vs. Nova vs. Low-Ki vs. Kid Romeo vs. Elix Skipper.

Also, I think that AJ is basically the TNA boy now, as he doesn't wrestle for ROH anymore and that is the main company that would be in competition with the company. Kinda like how TNA will let ROH use guys like CM Punk(who worked in ROH despite his TNA contract) and Alex Shelley, but won't let ROH use guys like Daniels and AJ......simply because they want people to think of TNA ONLY when they see AJ/Daniels in the ring.

Guest Donners

Hmm, so to "salvage" TNA, you compare it to two of the worst WWE shows of the year?

And, ironically, both shows were better than all but about 2 TNA shows this year to date.

How sad is that?

-=Mike

Two of the worst? I think there's quite a bit of competition for that honour, and the only three not in contention would be WM, Royal Rumble and Backlash. I know you disagree, but I would regard the majority of TNA PPVs I've ordered (9 this year) as being superior to all the other WWE PPVs. For what it's worth, they actually cost me roughly the same amount of money, and I would not be ordering so many TNA shows if I agreed that WWE shows were so consistently better.

Also, remember one thing --- the WWE actually HAD people in attendance and MOST of them actually paid to be there.

Indeed, that is quite an important thing to remember. It's not particularly surprising for people who aren't interested enough to buy a ticket to not get particularly excited about what they're seeing. For people to pay significant amounts of money to see it and then turn on it is quite remarkable.

Guest MikeSC
I don't think AJ styles career has been hurt by TNA what so ever. Infact TNA was when AJ was able to get his name big. It was really the first time I really heard about him, yes I knew he was in WCW but TNA made me hear about him more and more as he went. I don't think his career is being hurt right now, he's just not in the main event spot like Hardy, JJ, Killings, and Brown are at the moment.

Hate to be the wet blanket here --- but AJ isn't "big". He's an indy-level star, no bigger than, say, Samoa Joe in the eyes of the casual fans (both are "Who the hell is he?" in their eyes).

AJ WOULD be a "main eventer" for TNA --- if TNA ever treated Styles properly.

AJ isn't with the WWE now because they didn't give him a good deal. If they gave him one, he'd have never gone to TNA.

Two of the worst? I think there's quite a bit of competition for that honour, and the only three not in contention would be WM, Royal Rumble and Backlash. I know you disagree, but I would regard the majority of TNA PPVs I've ordered (9 this year) as being superior to all the other WWE PPVs. For what it's worth, they actually cost me roughly the same amount of money, and I would not be ordering so many TNA shows if I agreed that WWE shows were so consistently better.

GAB was better than all but two or so TNA shows this year (two damned good matches (JBL v Eddy and Rey v Chavo) and one really good 4-way puts it ahead of almost anything TNA has churned out). No Way Out is easily better. Bad Blood is MUCH better. Vengeance was better.

Hell, most weeks, RAW and SD are better.

Indeed, that is quite an important thing to remember. It's not particularly surprising for people who aren't interested enough to buy a ticket to not get particularly excited about what they're seeing. For people to pay significant amounts of money to see it and then turn on it is quite remarkable.

Not a problem for TNA --- as so few give enough a damn to turn on it.

-=Mike

...However, on a sheer percentage basis, it's sad for TNA...

Guest TDinDC1112

Hate to be the wet blanket here --- but AJ isn't "big". He's an indy-level star, no bigger than, say, Samoa Joe in the eyes of the casual fans (both are "Who the hell is he?" in their eyes).

AJ WOULD be a "main eventer" for TNA --- if TNA ever treated Styles properly.

AJ isn't with the WWE now because they didn't give him a good deal. If they gave him one, he'd have never gone to TNA.

GAB was better than all but two or so TNA shows this year (two damned good matches (JBL v Eddy and Rey v Chavo) and one really good 4-way puts it ahead of almost anything TNA has churned out). No Way Out is easily better. Bad Blood is MUCH better. Vengeance was better.

Hell, most weeks, RAW and SD are better.

Not a problem for TNA --- as so few give enough a damn to turn on it.

-=Mike

...However, on a sheer percentage basis, it's sad for TNA...

I think the world just ended, because I agree with every single thing you just said.

If you think TNA is mishandling AJ, just think what WWE would be doing with him. There is NO WAY he would get a ME push or anything close to it. He would be stuck on Velocity just about every week.

Guest whitemilesdavis
If you think TNA is mishandling AJ, just think what WWE would be doing with him. There is NO WAY he would get a ME push or anything close to it. He would be stuck on Velocity just about every week.

True, if he even got on Velocity. WWE has no use for a guy like AJ, so he better hope TNA goes over big.

Guest MikeSC

Paul London and Billy Kidman are tag champs.

Chavo and Noble appear to be on the verge of being the top challengers.

WWE isn't great about using talent --- but AJ would be used well if the WWE signed him.

-=Mike

Guest whitemilesdavis

That's a big jump in logic; to assume that

A)Chavo, Noble, Kidman, and London ARE being used right (Not true)

Therefore,

B)AJ would also. (Also, not true.)

Guest Donners

Scotty, Rikishi and Rico were Smackdown tag champs recently as well. Where are they now? London is getting no reaction aside from brief pops for his moves. He has had no mic time, no character building and can't even use London Calling - and this is after several months at OVW. Look at poor Jimmy Yang as well, and certainly don't forget Brian Kendrick. The weight of evidence is in favour of AJ being wasted.

That's a big jump in logic; to assume that

A)Chavo, Noble, Kidman, and London ARE being used right (Not true)

So, wait...how is London not being used right? He's a cruiserweight with spfify spots and can tell a great story when with a great opponent, but doesn't seem to have much charisma. I, personally, don't like London because his moves seem to be hit with all the stiffness of a feather.

Therefore,

B)AJ would also. (Also, not true.)

True, the evidence isn't good, but he's also a charismatic, great worker that has a great look, and can work a limited style to make it good.

Guest MikeSC
Scotty, Rikishi and Rico were Smackdown tag champs recently as well. Where are they now? London is getting no reaction aside from brief pops for his moves. He has had no mic time, no character building and can't even use London Calling - and this is after several months at OVW. Look at poor Jimmy Yang as well, and certainly don't forget Brian Kendrick. The weight of evidence is in favour of AJ being wasted.

Scotty is on SD and is pretty much shit in the ring. Rico screwed up his knee --- which is a shame, as he is an EXCELLENT worker.

London is actually GETTING pops now --- something he didn't get in TNA. As for Kendrick --- he was 150 pounds soaking wet. And, sadly, if he stayed around, he'd be a World Tag Champ now.

His fault for being an idiot.

-=Mike

AJ being more charismatic than London is beyond the pale. Go watch their ROH teaming up and interactions together, as well as the way London is able to rally the crowd behind him. He does it through facials and great charisma, whereas AJ's big pops come from things like Pele Kicks and Quebrada DDT's. When it comes to stiffness, WWE has none of it. If AJ came in, he would be forced to tone it down dramatically. London has far better arm strikes than AJ, his forearms are really stiff. AJ has the better kicks. The spiffy spots are really just being used to try to get a pop from the crowd for the short time he's out there, since he has no opportunity to do anything more, not that he SHOULD...just that he doesn't. Put AJ in the same role, and he'd be doing his dumbass moves like the Kip-up rana, the Quebrada DDT, etc every time he got on TV.