TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

Olympic Chatter

Guest Evolution

That Gary Hall comment was very dumb, I'll admit to that. We deserved to be mocked after they beat us.

Watching NBC at the moment. Is anyone else annoyed by how disgustingly negative some commentators can be? This diving lady is bothersome, and if I heard the ping pong announcer earlier say "they couldn't get it done" one more time, I was going to trash my television.

Watching NBC at the moment. Is anyone else annoyed by how disgustingly negative some commentators can be? This diving lady is bothersome, and if I heard the ping pong announcer earlier say "they couldn't get it done" one more time, I was going to trash my television.

Diving analysts are bothersome by nature, as what you and I would consider a damn good dive is picked apart by someone who, like the judges, are paid to be nit-picky.

Well, that 200m final was as good as advertised. Phelps was a non-factor until the end, and Thorpe's finishing 50 was very nice. And the Canadian finished a respectable 6th in a race that he had virtually no chance of medalling in.

Ah, good. I was hoping Thorpe would win. Phelps is getting way way WAY too much media attention and I wasn't looking forward to seeing him being America's Darling for the next six months, even though I don't hate him personally.

I know what you mean. I'm sure that Phelps is a nice guy and all, and it's not as if the guy's a poor swimmer by any means, but the American Hype Machine would've been insufferable had he won the 7 golds or whatever. Just enjoy the experience, Mike...

Yeah, over here he's been sealed as the greatest Australian sportsman ever. And fair enough.

A pity he didn't get to light the cauldron at Sydney. Oh well, I guess there's always the 2044 games for Thorpe to look forward to.

Has Phelps really been that talkative about the number of gold medals he could win?  Has he made a Namath-like statement?  If not, we should probably just let him do his thing and not ride his back, because if he hasn't been playing it up to the media, then it's the media themselves who are hyping Phelps up.

Well he said when they talked to him tonight that he didn't care about winning 8 metals, he just wanted one metal. And he got it.