TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

What are you watching?

NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship

Tiger Mask IV vs. Mike Quackenbush

Good match, with a smart finish. Enjoyed this. Hadn't seen any of Quack's work before this was the first example. I love the way this man speaks but I can't put my finger on what it is I like about it.

Scott busts out 2 standing moonsault fallaway slams

What the fuck are they!?!

One of the most amazing moves in wrestling that only someone like Scott Steiner could do. In fact I don't think anyone else has ever done it (be pretty impressive if they did) and if they did I doubt it was with an opponent the size Steiner was throwing around.

Pick up your opponent with two hands like you were going to do a backbreaker (Not Benoit/Dynamite style but the Great Muta style) and hold him there. Than "throw" your opponent backwards without releasing him. At the same time rotate your body backwards and land on your stomach/chest while still holding your opponent. That is the finish position which would be the same as a normal pinning predicament. Yes, I know that sounds impossable but Scott Steiner actually did it!!!! He did a lot of "impossable" stuff back in the day. In the Wrestlewar match he actually screws up the first time and lands around his head area but manages to full rotate the second time.

There is a match from Clash of Champions "Coastal Clash" where the Steiners Brothers wrestled Doom for the World titles. Scott Steiner executed the move on both members of Doom. Amazing.

Who is the guest commentator?

Art Donovan. Gorilla Monsoon and Macho Man were good sports about it, although it seemed that Gorilla was losing his patience about halfway through the event.

Guest the_last_rites

Undertaker vs Bret Hart from RR 96 (Jan 21).

This is a very formulaic Bret Hart carrying big man match. You see Hart calling almost everything here. Taker plays his role well as the big man here. Initially at the start of the match the crowd pop big when both men gain upper hands. But as the match progresses we see Hart go into the heel mode which he plays so well in such kinda matches with his famed opponent leg working. The good thing about Hart is that he doesnt need to do ultra heel shit to get his point across. The legwork goes on for a while in the middle but at no stage do you get the feeling that its getting boring. The significant thing to note about Taker's selling is that this is the first match I know of, where he drops the 'feels no pain & no selling' part of his gimmick. You see him start the match in his usual style but when Bret starts his offence, Taker does a decent job. Anyway getting back to the action. The match spills on to the outside where Taker drives a chair into the ribs of Hart (wonder what happened to the DQ call) . Anyway this was pretty stupid move for a match in which Taker was supposed to come across as the face and consequently you hear that the intensity of boos for Takers offense is more pronounced, although to be fair both men were getting heavily mixed crowd reactions. A little more legwork from Harts side, teases going for the ringpost figure 4. Then there is a nice session of back n forth culminating in the Hart Combo. After the backbreaker he signals the coming of the sharpshooter with a thumbs down sign and the pops outnumber the boos by far here. Hart goes for Sharpshooter but Taker chokes him and gets out of it. Oh I forgot to mention that Hart going for Taker's mask all throughout the match was something that didnt make sense, but since he was consistent at it, and the whole aura of 'how his face would look after those orbital bone injuries(kayfabe:nose injury) made you forget about that. Anyway Harts persistant tries finally rewards him and he gets the mask off. Taker is pissed. Oh Taker's leg selling is pretty much non existent at this point. Hart exposes a turnbuckle and slams Taker's head onto it a couple of times to get the heel heat back from the crowd. Taker gets in a quick tombstone, but as you know theres the interference which might have served well for the Diesel/Taker feud to follow. But this was one of those main event copout finishes that I first remember being pissed off about. All in all a **1/2 match from my side and if it hadnt been for the finish, it would have been a solid *** from my side, but unfortunately it was not to be.

I've recently watched the Flair vs Sting GAB 90 encounter twice this week just because it looks like Sting and Flair are both retiring soon, and this was Sting's first World Title win. It's funny I saw their first match at the clash on tv as a kid, I was only two at the time. I just remember how mad I was that Flair kept the belt. I thought Sting should have won. However, I never saw this match until a few years ago. The first time I saw it, I wasn't very impressed for some reason. But after watching it twice recently I really come to look at it as one hell of a match. Sting was only in his fourth year here, and I think a lot of people forgot that when it came time for him to carry the ball without quality opponents. He just wasn't ready to carry slugs to classics like a Flair could. The only thing that really would have made this match any better is Flair submitting to the Scorpion Deathlock. If you haven't had a chance to see this match, or haven't watched it in awhile I posted a post in the youtube topic that has most of their matches together.

I've been skimming through Survivor Series 1995. It was very surreal when it got to the Wildcard match, and Davey Boy and Owen were facing off. The card has ten people on it who are now dead. Both of PE, Mr Perfect, Chris Candido, Louie Spicolli, Rhonda Singh, Bam Bam Bigelow, Davey Boy, Yokozuna and Owen Hart.

Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich in a cage for the NWA World Championship.

Christmas 1982.

This is the match that started the famous Von Erich/Freebirds feud. Hayes was the second referee in the ring and his storyline plays out well. The problem with having two referees in a cage match is it interferes with the action in the ring and cuts down the space for both wrestlers to use. This was a pretty good match though was a great storyline to boot. Once again, Flair saves his title through crazy methods. It's amazing how they protected face wrestlers back then too. Von Erich is supposed to have a concussion after Terry Gordy slams the steel cage on his head yet still manages to pound Flair to the ground. But I enjoyed it though as Flair rarely gave a bad match.

I've been skimming through Survivor Series 1995. It was very surreal when it got to the Wildcard match, and Davey Boy and Owen were facing off. The card has ten people on it who are now dead. Both of PE, Mr Perfect, Chris Candido, Louie Spicolli, Rhonda Singh, Bam Bam Bigelow, Davey Boy, Yokozuna and Owen Hart.

Yea, I watched that show again not to long ago and it is quite sad how many people on the show are no longer with us. It's one of my favorite pay-per-views from 1995, though, as the Bodydonnas-Underdogs match to start the show is pretty cool, the Bret Hart-Diesel match is great, and I'm a HUGE mark for the Wild Card match. I'm surprised the WWE has never resurrected that concept because I loved it as a kid and still love it today.

Guest the_last_rites
Rewatching the original ECW:ONS

The Awesome -Tanaka match made me realize just how good they worked with each other back in the day. Now I know Awesome's moveset is made up mainly power + high flying maneuvers but in ONS I thought he was pacing himself much faster than any of his previous matches with Tanaka. I cant help but wonder whether he was trying to prove a point to all his detractors there. Oh and Styles was very annoying in commentary. I was hoping he'd shut the hell up for once about the whole 'selling out' shit and just call the match which he's normally good at. I still cringe when I watch his suicida to end the match. I'd give it a **** but people tell me that the match was too short to have been able to suck you in, which apparently is a prerequisite for all matches which can be deemed **** and above

Guest Tact

I watched the Great American Bash 2003 last night and I remembered that all had a great fight. I will always support wwe.

Just watched Judgment Day 2002 while sifting through the DVD collection. Its amazing how many gimmick matches the WWE threw in there.

Hell In A Cell

Hair v. Hair

Handicap Match

Tag Match w/Manager wrestling

Mystery Tag Partner Match

"One Night Only" Cornermen to overshadow Womens match

But all in all, a fun little card.

I am watching disc 3 of a 5 disc set of MOTY candidates from 2005...and currently on Low Ki/Homicide vs Samoa Joe/Jay Lethal from 8/13...other things I have seen today, 2/16 Kowada vs Kojima, 7/9 CM Punk vs Roderick Strong, 7/23 AJ Styles vs Jimmy Rave, and Eddy vs Rey from GAB '05...tons of other great matches that I havent gotten to yet, this has been a fun set to watch.

Lately I've been catching up on recent WWE DVD releases. I watched the Warrior DVD last weekend and am watching "Most Powerful Families" right now. The Warrior DVD was better than anticipated. They gave him the benefit of the doubt, at least. Bobby Heenan wasn't very fond of him, but for the most part the others interviewed spoke highly of him, just not from a business perspective. I thought what The Brooklyn Brawler said about Warrior's in-ring work was right on. Warrior's best matches were typically at SummerSlam and I thought the E should have included them, in addition to his match against Rude at WM5 and Slaughter at RR 91. Why not put some Dingo Warrior matches on there or the Halloween Havoc match against Hogan? All in all, the bonus matches were dissappointing.

couple days ago I watched Royal Rumble 1999, the show was very random with Bossman/Road Dogg, Shamrock/Billy Gunn, really outside of the Rock/Mankind I Quit Match and the Rumble match the show was average

Just watched almost all of the Trish Stratus/Victoria feud (1 on 1 matches only). Couldn't find their first 2 Raw matches but I kind of liken this to Triple H vs. The Rock in terms of really helping set up the importance of the Women's Title and creating an underrated little rivalry. I understand these matches won't ever hit the "Joshi" level of female wrestling but for the WWE Women's Division level, the top 3 are really worth checking out.

Top 5 Victoria vs. Trish Stratus Matches (out of 14 watched matches).

11/17/2002 (Survivor Series) Hardcore: Good pace from the get go and the crowd is into it as well from the start. Victoria gets busted open hardway, adding to the match. Stronger than the Street Fight but the only downside is the instant finish, as Victoria didn't have a true finisher quite yet. Really a testament to Trish and Victoria for putting up a solid match given how few TV matches they had worked together. Some of the shots were even sicker than the street fight. Victoria busts out a few moves not before seen (or since) such as a powerbomb.

01/27/2003 (Monday Night Raw) Street Fight: Really nice heat from the Chicago crowd throughout the match. Transition from a "Puppies" chant to 'ooh'ing for the nearfalls later. Trish/Victoria bring some nasty shots with the weapons and they build off nicely from their Survivor Series match. Only downside is that the match finish again seems to suddenly end. I love the small add on by Victoria, "I hate you!" after pinning Trish. Just a great character touch.

10/10/2005 (Monday Night Raw): Really underrated little match for these two, let alone the women's division. Victoria busts out a nice snap suplex and the two have a really strong pace throughout. New moves thrown in with Victoria doing a Liontamer without the knee in the back (really worth seeing) and a power press slam on Trish. Victoria busts out a Boston Crab(!) reversal of the corner handstand as well. Only downside is that the crowd is somewhat quiet but begins to really get into it just as the match ends (typical theme). Finish comes quickly but it's notable for the debut of Mickie James after the match.

08/21/2006 (Monday Night Raw): Crowd is into it from the get go and the pace is really strong. Trish busts out a crazy top rope hurricanranna(!) which was a surprise. Decent little match between the two with the added bonus of crowd heat. This would be their final match together (in the 1 on 1 sense).

12/19/2004 (Sunday Night Heat): Crowd is into this and the match is real solid. Trish even plays to the crowd (bowing after ramming Victoria into the post). Victoria busts out a rare flying cross body and the pace is fairly fast for them. Only downside is it was rather short but otherwise, nice effort.

In the midst of watching Starrcade 96:

Malenko vs. Dragon, Madusa vs. Hokuto, Liger vs. Misterio, Benoit vs. Jarrett, Eddy Guerrero vs. DDP...

This was a pretty good show...

I am enjoying these too much to take the time to comment any more than I already have...

Guest cacheton

Just labelling some tapes and I skimmed through a late 1990 WWF show in MSG. What stands out to me is a match between The Rockers and Power and Glory. Paul Roma was never given his due as a worker, these teams worked well together. They're not as good as the The Rougeaus or The Brainbusters matches but just a step below.

Valentine's face turn was enjoyable too. It seems like everyone was over in this era as the fans were automatically chanting "Hammer"

Virgil also wrestled as a heel against Kerry Von Erich and shook his hand after he lost building up to his face turn as well.

Piper and Perfect also had a drag out match. Hennig was going nuts with the overselling and Piper was kinda annoying with the no selling but it was fun to watch.

Just labelling some tapes and I skimmed through a late 1990 WWF show in MSG. What stands out to me is a match between The Rockers and Power and Glory. Paul Roma was never given his due as a worker, these teams worked well together. They're not as good as the The Rougeaus or The Brainbusters matches but just a step below.

Valentine's face turn was enjoyable too. It seems like everyone was over in this era as the fans were automatically chanting "Hammer"

Virgil also wrestled as a heel against Kerry Von Erich and shook his hand after he lost building up to his face turn as well.

Piper and Perfect also had a drag out match. Hennig was going nuts with the overselling and Piper was kinda annoying with the no selling but it was fun to watch.

I thought Marty Jannety had some good singles matches with Paul Roma and Tanaka of the Orient Express, as well.