TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

Dusty Baker is an Idiot

I know most people are aware of Baker's shortcomings as a manager, but today he really put on a show.

First, Maddux pitched a gem, going eight innings of one-run ball and only throwing 84 pitches. This included a four-pitching eighth inning. So everything indicates that Maddux will just go the distance, correct? No, no, no. We gotta bring LaTroy Hawkins in. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Hawkins, but don't like seeing him in such a close situation; especially when the starter was quite able to go another inning at least. I understand that Hawkins needed to get some work in, having not pitched since Saturday, but why use the pen if there's really no reason to?

So he gives up a lead-off hit and after the runner's moved over to second via a sac bunt, Hawkins winds up striking out the next batter in a toughly contested 10-pitch at-bat. Just one more out to go and then it happens. A double to the wall and we're tied. To add salt to the open wound, he retired the next hitter on one pitch.

Now I know nobody is perfect and Hawkins is gonna have to pitch in close games; maybe even more important games down the road if the Cubbies wanna be successful. But in a case where the starter hasn't even broke 90 pitches and has shown no signs of fatigue, why go to the pen?

This leads us to the bottom of the 9th and Dusty blunder number two of the day. Grudzielanek leads off with a ball that is pretty obviously foul down the rightfield wall; except it's called fair, having been viewed that way by the first base ump. Grudz wisely goes to third on the play, never slowing down. So they've got the leadoff man on third in the last inning with nobody out. They can't possible not score and win this game, right? Right?

Next batter is Paul Bako, who is probably one of the worst hitting position players in all of baseball. He had homered earlier and made an outstanding defensive play in the eighth to help Greg only throw four pitches, but in a situation like this, I think it's clear you go to the bench. Especially when you've got Michael Barrett, one of the Cubs' best contact hitters, sitting on the bench. But Dusty sticks with Bako who pops it up. Todd Walker pinch hits next and at this point, I still think it would've been smart to go with Barrett. Walker winds up popping out to third base.

At this point. I'm going crazy and cursing Baker. I tried to put a positive spin on the blown save, but getting the leadoff man on third leaves no real excuse why you can't plate him, since all it takes is just about any form of contact.

So Patterson is now up and as much as he's dazzled me this month, I don't particularly care for him to be in such a situation. He gets two strikes on him and I figure, okay they're not gonna score. Patterson proves me wrong, golfing a slider into the rightfield stands to give the Cubs the dramatic win and send everyone home happy (except Milwaukee fans).

This all leads back to Baker, though. I'm estatic the Cubs pulled out the win, but had Patterson not gotten the job done, one would have little luck overlooking Dusty's managerial blunders. Putting in Hawkins was stupid, but excusable on some fronts. But not pinch-hitting a position player who's batting .180 and isn't a good contact hitter, when all you need is some contact, is ridiculously stupid.

Sorry, just had to vent. Glad to see the Cubs get the win (and a HUGE call in their favor) but you get the feeling these little things that they're still not doing right will come back to haunt them before it's all said and done.

Guest Salacious Crumb

That's just what you have to deal with when having Dusty Baker as manager. He's either overworking his pitching staff or taking someone out when they're hot. At least his little anklebiter kid isn't having a near death experience every other day from being the batboy like in S.F.

The fact that makes the Bako mishap even worse is that they're both catchers. It's not like putting Barrett in would leave a gaping hole behind the plate - not only could he pinch hit but, should the game keep going into more extra innings, he could certainly man the plate.

Guest Anglesault

Eh, the closer issue doesn't really bother me. That's the man's job, it's not Baker's fault he blew it.

However, if you have a runner at third with less than two outs and you win on a run, you go to the guy who you KNOW can hit it out of the infield. We did that with Sierra earlier this year. Bottom of the 12, tie game against SD, and Ruben PH for (I think) Wilson. We won on a sac fly.

I agree that it's not Baker's fault Hawkins blew the save, since it's his job. But Hawkins has been struggling lately and while a closer has to learn to deal with tight spots, there's no reason to take out a starting pitcher who was not only dominating, but economizing his pitches as well as Maddux was today.

Now was this a night game?

Because if it was, Racist Dusty should have kept his white pitcher in.

However, if it the game was played during a hot and humid day, then I can understand why Racist Dusty took Maddux out...

One thing that has to be taken into consideration is that Greg Maddux has a habit of taking himself out of games for no apparent reason. Even with low pitch counts. On Atlanta, he'd do it all the time. He would throw something like 80 pitches through 7 innings, while throwing a shutout, and the guy would ask to be taken out. He's done that alot, so it may not even have been Dusty's decision. Maddux is a dick like that.

That's stupid if it's true. Especially since he's always talking about winning is what's important. With a one-run lead and a low pitch count, he should've just finished things off himself and avoided the drama.

Taking Maddux out of the game? No biggie, the closer should CLOSE the game. Not getting a runner in from 3rd? Maybe tough luck. But continually putting Farnsworth into ballgames despite all the evidence that he sucks. Inexcusable.

One thing that has to be taken into consideration is that Greg Maddux has a habit of taking himself out of games for no apparent reason. Even with low pitch counts. On Atlanta, he'd do it all the time. He would throw something like 80 pitches through 7 innings, while throwing a shutout, and the guy would ask to be taken out. He's done that alot, so it may not even have been Dusty's decision. Maddux is a dick like that.

God forbid the greatest pitcher in the last 30 years knows when he's running out of gas. He must overextend himself every time and have nothing left for October right?

God forbid the greatest pitcher in the last 30 years knows when he's running out of gas. He must overextend himself every time and have nothing left for October right?

80 pitches is overdoing it huh?

You do realize this isn't Little League right? If a great pitcher can't throw more than 80 pitches than he's not showing much heart. I don't even wanna hear about his age having anything to do with it either, because he's been doing it forever.

Heart has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of pitchers with heart. They usually end up on operating tables. This isn't to say Maddux couldn't go the distance. Its just to say that sweating out a few extra pitches in a start is not always a worthwhile cause.

And I think it was the right move. A fresh Hawkins is probably better than Maddux after 80 pitches. Even good pitchers give up runs once in awhile. Sometimes even after your best strategerial moves, you get burned.