Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Settle it for me

You make the call  

53 members have voted

1. 1. You make the call

• Madden 2005
    • ESPN NFL2K5

ESPN: It's cheaper, it's an actual game. Smoother graphics, and not able to use the Cardinals on All-Madden and ripping the Patriots defence for 450 passing yards.

I agree with everyone so far...ESPN is only 20 bucks compared to 50 and it's more simulation-style gameplay as opposed to Madden's damn near NFL Blitz type game play...

2K5 was the pick of this duffer.

I'm not a huge video football gamer, so for me it came down to this - both games are good in their own right (according to various mags), and if there are subtle differences in gameplay I probably won't notice them anyways, so it comes down to price. And since it's priced like a Greatest Hits title, I chose 2K5.

Guest Vitamin X

Not taking price into consideration, I really truly honestly gave ESPN a shot, and I've been a Madden fanboy for years.

ESPN really made Madden look like NFL Blitz in terms of gameplay and extra bullshit packaged with it to make it feel like you're not completely ripped off. The most impressive thing by far is the animations and the overall feel of the game. I swear, when I ran Ahman Green up the middle and he was smacked to the left by Urlacher and tried to spin out but was wrapped around the legs, it was just like watching an actual game. They're seriously impressive.

I'm not saying get it because it's $20, because that might imply that the price is the only factor. Yet I acknowledge if it was the same price as Madden, I probably wouldn't even have given it a shot since Madden is on Live this year, and I really want to get into online gaming. But thank god their marketing strategy worked to absolute perfection..

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

On the flipside, the cheaper price carries a stigma that it's an inferior game. I've heard people say that the price made them think there was a reason that it was so cheap.

If you have a PS2 you should consider getting Madden, if you have an XBOX you MUST get ESPN.

I have had tremendous fun with the stadium music in alone in ESPN. The Crib is also a fun feature. So much detail and effort went into ESPN in order to give it a realistic feel. The animations and camera angles make you feel like you're watching a game on tv. I notice something new everytim I play. There's little subtleties like the players slowing to a halt if they're running at the end of a play and stuff like that. I believe they tried to make the game use the full potential for each console that they have ti for, so the XBOX version is the best one available. I think you need the hard drive to get the maximum effect on PS2.

As far as Madden goes, it was developed the same for every system so it doesn't take full advantage of the systems that it is available for. In that respect the presentation aspect of ESPN should be about the same as the presentation featured in Madden. What I'm talking about here are all the little cool ESPN things like Sportsceenter and the halftime reports where they show the replays. Also, Madden has the bigger fanbase and alot of people have PS2s so it would be easier to play against other people. At that pointI think it's a matter of that and whether or not price is an issue to you. I don't think you should get sometyhinhg that you don't want just because it's cheaper than what you want, but I also think price is a pretty good tie-breaker. That's my two cents.