TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest converge241

What are you listening to right now?

Oh, and I've also been listening to Nico's first solo album...

(Great stuff... a few songs go on a bit too long, but usually it's appropriate, and overall this is one of the most sad, melancholy records I've ever heard, while still somehow uplifting and warm at times. Hrmph.)

...Beck's Mutations...

(I'd only heard his first two records and was under the impression that Beck could do no wrong. Well, he can. This is decent, if not good, but just not up to par with Odelay, and especially Mellow Gold, which I enjoy slightly more.)

...the Ugly Cassanova...

(Great stuff... can't believe I didn't discover this earlier... the only problem is that most of the tracks sound more like soundscapes than actual songs, but for some reason, it feels like that's the way it should be, and I quite like it.)

...and finally, The Madcap Laughs by Syd Barret.

(Songs are hit and miss, but overall it's a great documentation of Syd's downward spiral into madness. It's especially haunting because a lot of the time, it's not Syd just going crazy in your face in any way whatsoever. A lot of the tracks are quite sad, because they seem normal enough, and you can tell that Syd's just trying to write some normal, harmless pop songs, but you can always hear the underlying madness if you listen close enough. That's what I like the most about this record -- it's not obvious for the most part. You really have to listen, but once your in Syd's world and are totally engrossed in the album, it's a thouroughly interesting and sad journey.)

And that's all for me right now.