TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

September Call-ups

Alot of interesting players will get cups of coffee this September. This thread is to help keep track of some of them. The players up (so far) that interest me...

SP Gavin Floyd (Phillies)

1B Ryan Howard (Phillies)

SP/RP Rick Ankiel (Cardinals)

1B Andres Galarraga (Angels)

C Dioner Navarro (Yankees)

1B Casey Kotchman (Angels)

RP Felix Heredia (Yankees)

Yeah, Heredia doesn't fit the profile. I just want to see if Joe Torre has the balls to let him pitch.

Guest Staravenger
Yeah, Heredia doesn't fit the profile. I just want to see if Joe Torre has the balls to let him pitch.

I hope the fuck not. There's a good reason he was sent to Single A ball. Seeing Andres Galarraga on the list just seems too weird.

Terry Tiffee in his first major league game had a 2 run go ahead double that won the game for the Twins.

The big call-up though is Jason Kubel. He was activated before the 1st to eligible for the postseason. Kubel had the best average in both AA and AAA. He's been compared to Brian Giles, with a rocket arm, and good power.

Alot of interesting players will get cups of coffee this September. This thread is to help keep track of some of them. The players up (so far) that interest me...

SP Gavin Floyd (Phillies)

1B Ryan Howard (Phillies)

SP/RP Rick Ankiel (Cardinals)

1B Andres Galarraga (Angels)

C Dioner Navarro (Yankees)

1B Casey Kotchman (Angels)

RP Felix Heredia (Yankees)

Holy shit......I didn't even know Rick Ankiel is still pitching. Has he gotten past that mental breakdown with his pitching yet? That guy has some nasty stuff.

I thought I remembered hearing that he was considering coming back as an infielder, but apparantly Ankiel is ok to pitch.

And Galarraga is 43, but he could be the next Jesse Orosco.

Terry Tiffee in his first major league game had a 2 run go ahead double that won the game for the Twins.

The big call-up though is Jason Kubel. He was activated before the 1st to eligible for the postseason. Kubel had the best average in both AA and AAA. He's been compared to Brian Giles, with a rocket arm, and good power.

Jesse Crain also pitched two shutout innings in that Tiffee game. The Twins look to have some great call ups this year.

Any in-depth information on those Philly call-ups, Al?

Yes. Ryan Howard was old for a prospect coming into the season. 24 year olds at AA aren't too impressive. But he dominated AA, and performed well at AAA when called up. He's hit more HRs than anyone in organized baseball this season. He's probably major league ready, but as a first baseman, he'll only pinch hit and spell Jim Thome from time to time. He's a top trade candidate, and the Phillies should trade him while his stock is high. His upside is a David Ortiz-type.

As for Gavin Floyd, he was one of AA's top pitchers, and one of the youngest. His pitching performance is more impressive when you remember he's just 21. He probably could've used more work at AAA, but he's one of baseball's top 10 pitching prospects.

Holy shit......I didn't even know Rick Ankiel is still pitching. Has he gotten past that mental breakdown with his pitching yet? That guy has some nasty stuff.

He had no wildness in his rehab starts, but its impossible to say for certain until he gets some major league innings under his belt. I'm wary that all the sanguine stuff written lately in the press about him is just an attempt to build his confidence. But that's just an opinion. I really hope he succeeds.

A's have called up outfielder Nick Swisher, who was the A's first pick in the 2002 "Moneyball" draft. He'll likely be in the starting line-up tonight against Toronto.

Astros call up Chris Burke, so I guess Richard Justice gets his wish of sitting Jeff Kent down and letting the future play now.

It's a good thing Richard Justice isn't the Astros manager. We'd have Burke at 2nd, Willy Taveras in CF, Beltran would've been traded a month ago, and Biggio and Bagwell would've been replaced by 2 guys he found at a local softball league. The guy's a major asshole (yes I've met him, it's not just a generalization) who doesn't like being second guessed (ironic ain't it?) and shouldn't be anywhere near a major newspaper.

just my $.02

Justice is a real winner. I remember a recent column bashing Billy Beane, in particular for his gall to draft college players. If you disagree with Moneyball, that's one thing. But these columnists go out of their way to bash anything related to the book.