TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

The Next two Harry Potter books

So I recently read that the director for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire decided against filming it as two movies and releasing both parts a few months apart a'la Kill Bill, stating that he could cut out some of the sub-plots and make one movie. My question is this- with some people complaining that the first one was too long, how long could this movie be and still be acceptable for kids to sit through?

Also, for fans of the book, which sub-plots do you think could be cut out? And do you think that Order of the Phoenix will HAVE to be split up in order to keep it true to the book?

Most books-to-film go through the same process. Basically get the main story written and then see what else you can fit in. This will disappoint some people, but when novels are long, as the last few Potter books have been, it can't be helped.

I'd have to agree with you on Order of the Phoenix though. I haven't read any of the Potter books, but considering that this one is about the size of a phone book, I don't see how you can avoid splitting it up.

Both four and five are too honkin big to sit through.

I dunno if they'll enact intermissions in this day and age, but come on.

I just saw 3 last night in fact, and it was a MESS. Fun movie, but half the book was scrapped.

The books just get longer....

As Eric points out, Harry Potter 3 was longer than both 1 and 2, yet a shorter movie.

As the books go, there are more and more subplots, which are going to be cut out in favor of the central plot. I believe Goblet of Fire can be one movie because there is a lot that can be scrapped (Quidditch World Cup, Hermione's house elf quest), but Order of the Phoenix doesn't have many cuttable parts, in my estimation.