TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

I'll admit, I was wrong about these guys.

I'm serious, there is nothing negative I can say about Chris Barnes and Six Feet Under after reading this piece of news. Right now, I'm listening to the mp3 that was graciously posted with the report. The song is "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" and I totally gotta say they NAILED IT DOWN. The drums are spot on, and the guitars sound CRUSHING when doing AC/DC riffs. That downtuning was a really great idea IMO because, although some chords sound totally muffled, it adds a whole new BRUTALITY to this classic tune. I'm sure that the rest of the record will SLAY me like this track.

Now, I've heard some people talk about the SICK vocalist Chris Barnes and how they think he's the epitome of shitty cookie cutter vocalist. NO WAY NEWB! OMG HE SHOWS TOTAL RANGE that matches so well with the bluesy style of AC/DC, a band that SFU must totally be in love with to cover their entire Back In Black album!!!!

I'M TOTALLY BUYING THIS RECORD OMG!!!

Guest DR PHIL

Good lord, that was awful.

I'd never heard anything by six feet under and if I have to cut off my ears to do so, I never will again.

I like the idea of a modern band covering an entire classic album, has that ever been done before?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There's no fucking way any of you will ever get me to listen to this.

I like the idea of a modern band covering an entire classic album, has that ever been done before?

Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade did a pretty admirable job of covering Pink Floyd's Animals.

Guest GreatOne

Well Metallica eventually did almost all of Diamondhead's Behold The Beginning album, but that went from pre-Kill Em All up to Garage Inc and they didn't play everything.

Upon listen, GOODLORDJEHOSEFATCHRIST!!!!! I figured TNT was appropriate for the first Graveyard Classics, since it gave Bon Scott the graveyard classic shits........

Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade did a pretty admirable job of covering Pink Floyd's Animals.

Dream Theater's covered Metallica's "Master of Puppets" live once.

Guest GreatOne
I hope I did well with the parody there.

To your credit you did stay away from the 'TEHY ROOLS DOOD' giveaway :D ..........

Dream Theater also did Number Of The Beast.

I've heard rumours about Tool having done DSoTM but never got the rights to release. Dunno if that's acctually true.

I was worried that Agent might believe me enough that he'd ban me :(

Tell him Lividity blows, that should push him over

Dream Theater also did Number Of The Best.

*snicker*

Lividity does blow, but they're cooler than Six Feet Under.

That's a given, since SFU blows hardcore

and cooler than Dream Theater.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back

Really, do you guys think Six Feet Under can get any worse?

Well, considering Haunted and Warpath were pretty damn solid albums, and then Maximum Violence comes around which is only good for the MUSIC on three songs (one of which was a cover)...and yeah. Fuck 'em.

Haunted was excellent, IMO, WarPath was decent, and I like Maximum violence. Since then SFU has been meticore at best......and sorry I don't give a flying fuck how many people want to jump on the growing, "Chir Barnes cookie monster vocals suck, he is a pussy ~LOL" bandwagon. His work in Cannibal Corpse was great, and his live vocals are amazing....

Haunted was excellent, IMO, WarPath was decent, and I like Maximum violence. Since then SFU has been meticore at best......and sorry I don't give a flying fuck how many people want to jump on the growing, "Chir Barnes cookie monster vocals suck, he is a pussy ~LOL" bandwagon. His work in Cannibal Corpse was great, and his live vocals are amazing....

What he said. I don't really get all the SFU hate. I mean, there are much better bands to listen to in the death metal subgenre. But there also are much worse.

They will always have a small place in my heart for their brutal cover of a Savatage song whos name eludes me currently. That said, Chris Barnes has destroyed the band on multiple occasions that I've heard them by having his voice on top of the mix. Not to mention doing vocal lines of parts that are clearly set out musically for leads and breakdowns. The music becomes a true backing band for a crooner that just can't croon well enough to keep it interesting or good.

Plus, how much friggin weed has that cat smoked to ruin his death metal voice? He can't hardly do it anymore.

They will always have a small place in my heart for their brutal cover of a Savatage song whos name eludes me currently.

"Holocaust"

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Eh, the Cannibal Corpse stuff is alright for what it is, but I maintain that the vocals improved after Barnes was replaced. I find Six Feet Under to be totally intolerable. Mid tempo cheesy stoner death metal is the worst.

Eh, the Cannibal Corpse stuff is alright for what it is, but I maintain that the vocals improved after Barnes was replaced. I find Six Feet Under to be totally intolerable. Mid tempo cheesy stoner death metal is the worst.

well the entire style of the band changed too though, which is why in part Chris Barnes was replaced. I mean seriously when you listen to Corpsegrinder try and do the older Cannibal Corpse songs, he just doesn't have the deep voice for it, he has improved a lot since he first joined the band, but it is not nearly the same.

I can't really hear any difference between Barnes and Fischer...

Of course, I think there are only a few good DM vocalists among the mass of cookie monster growlers (Schuldiner, Benton, Vincent and Akerfeldt come to mind)

Karl Sanders

No

Mike DiSalvo

No

Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Who?

Frank Mullen

No

Just my opinion though

I'm not sure whether to include Anders Frieden on the list, since his range seems more in the BM realm than DM (but people call In Flames DM for some reason)

Johan Hegg is another good one now that I think about it

If you want to go over into doom metal, Arron Stainthorpe does a good DM voice, as did Nick Holmes when he used to do them.