TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB Game Chatter

Guest Anglesault
I'd rather they have kept David Wells than let him go to the Padres and signed Vazquez. It would've been the same thing, and Wells is probably cheaper.

Wells is ALOT better than Javy Whitson. And Boomer certainly wouldn't have walked in three runs.

Guest Staravenger

Wells barely walks a batter per 9 innings, so definitely not. I guess Steinbrenner thought signing Javy Vazquez was a good replacement for him, proving he is not the smartest man in baseball.

Guest Anglesault
Wells barely walks a batter per 9 innings, so definitely not.

I'd be shocked if he has much more than 20 on the year.

Wells has 17 walks on the season.

As for Vazquez, I agree that he has pitched poorly this season. But he looked extremely good before the trade. Nearly 5:1 K/BB Ratio, and a 3.24 ERA in a tough pitcher's environment. The only major concern was his workload. He looked just as good as say Curt Schilling headed into this season.

But he hasn't given up less than three runs in a start since June. He's been absolutely abysmal his last four or so starts. This is just a theory, but its very possible there is something physically wrong with him, but given the pressure the pitching staff is under, he feels he can't reveal it and disappoint the team. That's just a theory, but its worth considering.

Guest Staravenger

His last start was fine. He gave up a 3-run home run in the first, and pitched 6 shut out innings after that and the Yankees won 4-3 against Baltimore.

Other than that, I have to agree, he got so much hype (and his stats were pretty impressive) but for the past few months he always has a question mark next to him whenever he pitches. (Good thing I dropped him from my fantasy teams a few months ago)

I really didn't think Vazquez would do this bad. I've seen him pitch in Montreal numerous times, and with the Yankee offense he was bound to be a stud. So I agree with Al, I think there is something wrong with him.

Guest Anglesault
He looked just as good as say Curt Schilling headed into this season.

Woah. Not many people look as good as Curt Schilling ever I think you took a major leap by saying that getting Vazquez was just as good as getting Schilling. Schilling may be going to the Hall of Fame.

Guest Staravenger

Speaking of Schilling, the Red Sox are SO winning tonight unless they have another dry period. The pitcher they are going against is 3-14.

And Holy shit, Don Mattingly shaved the mustach?!

Guest Staravenger

I didn't notice until now. He looks so...not like himself.

Can it be, or is Loaiza actually pitching good? And am I the only one who hates typing his name?

Woah. Not many people look as good as Curt Schilling ever I think you took a major leap by saying that getting Vazquez was just as good as getting Schilling. Schilling may be going to the Hall of Fame.

Well, look at what their situations were headed into the season. Vazquez was a young, ace-quality starter, while Schilling was an ace-quality starter, but aging, and coming off an injury. The flaw in both starters was their HR rates. Schilling is of course having a much superior season, but hindsight is 20/20.

Guest Staravenger

Cairo has been the savior for one of my fantasy teams. Him being on base almost every time he bats the last few games and the triple tonight helps me go further ahead in the playoffs.

Now its time for the REAL Yankees to try and take the lead, if not now, the next inning when they have the 1-2-3 part of the lineup batting.

Guest Staravenger

Lofton with two nice catches this inning that could've easily been extra base hits.

Guest Anglesault

Well, look at what their situations were headed into the season. Vazquez was a young, ace-quality starter, while Schilling was an ace-quality starter, but aging, and coming off an injury.

You say that as if Schilling "ace quality" is the same as Vazquez. Vazquez was good. Schilling was a devastating pitcher that we knew turned it up 100 notches in big game situations. We went against getting a great pitcher so we could get a guy that was not quite the poor man's Schilling.

Well, look at what their situations were headed into the season. Vazquez was a young, ace-quality starter, while Schilling was an ace-quality starter, but aging, and coming off an injury.

You say that as if Schilling "ace quality" is the same as Vazquez. Vazquez was good. Schilling was a devastating pitcher that we knew turned it up 100 notches in big game situations. We went against getting a great pitcher so we could get a guy that was not quite the poor man's Schilling.

If Schilling defines the limits of an ace, we'd have only 3-4 aces in the entire league. The way I see it, anyone who strikes out more than a batter an inning, doesn't walk many guys, and posts an ERA 50% better than the league average is an ace quality starter.

Guest Anglesault

If Schilling defines the limits of an ace, we'd have only 3-4 aces in the entire league.

No, but their are certainly different levels of "ace" and Vazquez was always towards the bottom tier. You don't pass up a Curt Schilling for a Javier Vazquez.

And then they did it again right before the trade deadline. Arizona was reportedly saying they'd accept Javy for RJ and we totally shot them down. Whether or not the trade actually would have happened is moot.

We passed up Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson for Javy Vazquez.

But how long is the Unit sticking around? And I'm not sure Vazquez is the only player the D'backs wanted, but I don't have a source on that. Schilling and Johnson are great pitchers, no doubt, but they have clocks attached, and Vazquez really looked good before this season. Its easy to judge these things in hindsight, but if you had asked me in April, I wouldn't be sure. And keep in mind the Yankees do need to think long term. It is still likely Vazquez will be better three years from now than either Johnson or Schilling.

On another subject, a month or two ago we debated whether Johan Santana deserved the Cy Young award. Santana has won his last ten decisions. He leads the AL in strikeouts and ERA by a sizeable margin. He also leads the AL in Component ERA, and DIPS ERA. And now he's second in wins behind Curt Schilling. Is there any doubt at this point that Santana is the front-runner for Cy Young?

Guest Anglesault
But how long is the Unit sticking around? 

For the next two years, at least. Good enough for me.

Schilling and Johnson are great pitchers, no doubt, but they have clocks attached, and Vazquez really looked good before this season.

But not great. When you lose Pettitte, Clemens and Wells, you need great.

And keep in mind the Yankees do need to think long term. It is still likely Vazquez will be better three years from now than either Johnson or Schilling.

Well, I should certainly hope so he's better than Johnson, who'll probably have retired by then.

Thinking long term is great. But when you pass up now for "maybe, possibly, hopefully three years down the line" you've fucked up.

Woa, I didn't know Dave Roberts was Japanese.

Anyway, Seattle up on Boston, so maybe, just maybe we'll get a break tonight with Schilling on the mound.

Guest Staravenger

I'd hate to be someone who had some of the pitchers in the NYY/BAL game on their fantasy teams. 14-8 final score with Baltimore getting the win, so temporarily, the AL East lead is cut to 3 games. Red Sox win, it's back to 2.5, if they lose, it stays at 3.5, and right now the Mariners are leading 1-0.

Guest Anglesault

You've never seen a close shot of him?

Very quietly, the Phillies have won 7 of 8,still probably too little too late for Bowa. The Mets announcers were talking all night if this was enough for him to keep his job. They didn't give a clear answer, but clearly they were leaning towards no. There have been rumors that if Bowa is fired, he will become the Mets bench coach.

And the Mariners have an early lead on the Red Sox

You've never seen a close shot of him?

Yeah but, not enough for me to think he's Japanese.

Plus the name doesn't give it away. It's not like Hideki Matsui.

Guest Anglesault

Did Kevin Millah really make t-shirts with the Tombstone quote on them?

Does that man have nothing at all better to do?

On another subject, a month or two ago we debated whether Johan Santana deserved the Cy Young award. Santana has won his last ten decisions. He leads the AL in strikeouts and ERA by a sizeable margin. He also leads the AL in Component ERA, and DIPS ERA. And now he's second in wins behind Curt Schilling. Is there any doubt at this point that Santana is the front-runner for Cy Young?

According to Jeff Brantley and Harold Reynolds there is.

Guest Staravenger

To show again how close I am with these things, the Sox lead 9-2 with the bases loaded. (I predicted 10-1, but close enough in terms of big win)

Guest GreatOne

Ah yes, Ryan Franklin, a young Roger Clemens :D

Hell I was only hoping for a split anyway...........