TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BHK

Best and Worst Bret Hart matches

Since I more or less stopped watching WCW after the absolutely horrible payoff to Hogan/Sting at Starrcade 97, what are the best and worst Bret Hart matches that I missed?

Edit: The only match I've seen is the Owen tribute match. Awesome stuff.

One of his best was against Booker T on a Nitro(which Booker won), I also liked his "match" with Sting on a Nitro in September 98(didn't start but the 2 had a good brawl backstage)

His worst was a tag with Hogan against Piper and Randy Savage(whose knee was badly injured)

He had a fun feud with DDP in late 98. I also liked Bret / Booker from BatB 98 despite the lame DQ finish.

You have a lot of choices for bad / barely decent matches as Bret was known to go against lower mid-card guys ranging from Disco Inferno to Fit Finley.

Even though it's not in his Top Ten best, I'd say his Survivor Series match with HBK is actually pretty good. Sure, everyone was focused on everything other than the match itself, but it's an intense brawl.

I don't think Bret's ever had a bad singles match. I mean, I'm talking negative stars. Obviously, if you look at some of the shit WCW put him up against, it might be possible, but I don't think it happened to the point where one of his matches weren't unwatchable.

I'd say his worst match was against Sting at Halloween Havoc. You knew Bret wasn't Bret anymore. He never did that shit as a heel in the WWF and he got over 10 times more than in WCW. Bret doesn't have to use weapons to beat his opponent, he just out wrestles them and WCW seemed to not understand that.

Then again, a lot of Bret Hart fans think that his career pretty much was over when he left the WWF...so I guess if you are asking Best/Worst Bret WWF Matches: A lot of classics, not many DUDs.

Best/Worst WCW Bret Matches: Bret/Benoit Owen Classic (best WCW match, by far)...and a lot of other stuff that was so pointless/bad that I've erased it from my memory.

And that sig of yours, BHK, is so weird/freaky/sad.

Man. Hard to believe, huh?

Yeah it is. It's kind of weird to think that 3/5 of the Hart Foundation is dead.

I never bothered to go back and watch Bret's WCW stuff because the consenus I got was that WCW misuesed him HORRIBLY and that comparing his WWF run to his WCW one made the latter look like a bad joke.

Going back through old PPV results and DDTdiget reports now, solely out of curiosity, I'd have to agree with that assesment.

It was just stupid shit. I remember him wrestling Disco Inferno, Van Hammer, a bunch of stupid people on TV.

I don't think they ever did Bret/Jericho or Bret/Malenko, which is a damn shame.

That was one thing Bret agreed with McMahon...and that's when Vince told him he wouldn't make it in WCW because they don't know what to do with Bret Hart because they were so fucking stupid when it came to wrestling.

Guest krazykat72
Even though it's not in his Top Ten best, I'd say his Survivor Series match with HBK is actually pretty good. Sure, everyone was focused on everything other than the match itself, but it's an intense brawl.

I don't think Bret's ever had a bad singles match. I mean, I'm talking negative stars. Obviously, if you look at some of the shit WCW put him up against, it might be possible, but I don't think it happened to the point where one of his matches weren't unwatchable.

I'd say his worst match was against Sting at Halloween Havoc. You knew Bret wasn't Bret anymore. He never did that shit as a heel in the WWF and he got over 10 times more than in WCW. Bret doesn't have to use weapons to beat his opponent, he just out wrestles them and WCW seemed to not understand that.

Then again, a lot of Bret Hart fans think that his career pretty much was over when he left the WWF...so I guess if you are asking Best/Worst Bret WWF Matches: A lot of classics, not many DUDs.

Best/Worst WCW Bret Matches: Bret/Benoit Owen Classic (best WCW match, by far)...and a lot of other stuff that was so pointless/bad that I've erased it from my memory.

Bret could be great, but I was at a few house shows in the 90's where he absolutely phoned it in. It's actually one of the main reason I prefer Michaels, who worked hard every time I saw him (though there are knocks on him for developing a Bret like habit later in his career) One notable exception was when I saw him and Shawn in the Meadowlands in July of '92, but for the most part, I saw him in some terrible house show matches. I know you're a big fan, but Bret has had plenty of bad singles matches. The Bret Hart video the 2 hour one by Coliseum has a bunch of them on there). He was past his prime going into WCW, but it still boggles the mind at how bad they screwed him up. I'd say the Survivor Series '92 is in his top 10, in fact, I can't think of much to put over it. I liked it more than the DBS match, but less than The WMX, SS '96, WM XIII and I's sure there are a few others, but I doubt I could think of 6 others.

-Paul Jacobi-

I'd just like to add Bret vs "Lightning Foot" Jerry Flynn in a WORLD TITLE DEFENCE as one of Bret's worst WCW matches. How on Earth was Jerry Flynn deemed ready for a title shot and still got to have a competitive match with Bret?

Guest Staravenger

Bret vs. Sting from Havoc 1998 was just flat out horrible...in a disapointing way. 15 minutes of garbage from a potential ***1/2+ Match.

Guest jm29195

His worst by far was definetly imo vs Roddy Piper for the US title on Nitro in January 99 I believe- Piper was totally broken down and unmotivated Bret couldn't or wouldn't carry him to anything. His best was vs Benoit in the Owen tribute match but I also liked his match vs Flair at Souled Out 98...

Guest Rrrsh
They did do bret/malenko but it ended in a dq.

And that match wasnt that good due to its length.