TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Wrestlemania XXI Press Conference

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=5397&p=1

WRESTLEMANIA 21 PRESS CONFERENCE REPORT

by California Kid @ 8:55:00 PM on 9/22/2004

I just got back from the Wrestlemania 21 Press Conference at The Staples Center. I'd say there was a crowd of about 1,000. It was really hot - I'd say about 90.

I missed Vince McMahon, who was the first one up and was hyping up the crowd about "Wrestlemania Going Hollywood." Coach was already there sitting alongside, there to introduce everyone.

After Vince, Coach Went inntroduced WWE Champion JBL. Much like Vince, JBL hyped up Wrestlemania. While JBL was on the podium, there was a huge "Eddie" chant.

Coach then Introduced Trish Stratus, who might I add is very short, as TV makes her look taller. Trish said she was going to deliver some Stratusfaction next year here In Los Angeles.

Coach then introduced The "Legend Killer", Randy Orton who got the biggest pop of all the Superstars and a huge RKO Chant. Orton said he was 4 years old when Wrestlemania began. He said 20 years later at Wrestlemania 20, he had achieved his dream and made his Father proud.

Coach introduced Staples Center President Tim Leiweike, who was accompanied by Torrie Wilson. Torrie just hyped Up Mania. Leiweike went on to say that the Staples Center has had everything except Wrestlemania and that it took 21 years to get Wrestlemania. He said The Staples Center will beat New York and Madison Square Garden by selling out Wrestlemania in no more than five minutes. They got a huge pop for that.

Up next was Kurt Angle, who wasn't advertised as appearing, but took Big Show's spot, based on what happned at The SmackDown! taping On Tuesday. There was a huge "You Suck" Chant For Kurt. Angle hyped up Mania.

Rey Mysterio was next and said he was going to change his area code from 619 to 213, the area code for Los Angeles which got a monster pop. He then cut a promo in Spanish.

Last was World Heavyweight champion Up Last Was The World Heavyweight champion. HHH spit his water, which landed on me. WOW, what a highlight, getting Triple H's water spit on me. Before HHH got on the mic, there was a huge RKO chant. Triple H hyped up Wrestlemania. He said it's been ten years since he made his Wrestlemania debut at Wrestlemania 12 in Anaheim. He said he was the Franchise of WWE and that at Wrestlemania 21, he was going to put "some young punk" in his place once and for all. That caused Randy Orton to get up and stare down Helmsley. Triple H told Orton that he forgets that when people are talking, he needs to stay seated or Triple H will teach him that as well. He then said that Wrestlemania isn't going Hollywood, but Hollywood is instead going Wrestlemania.

Stephanie Mcmahon was at the press conference but did not speak. She was there though.

Looks like Orton-Helmsley is go.

Dear Vince,

Please give me HBK-Angle or HBK-Rock for Wrestlemania XXI, because the smark in me wants to see them go at it while all three of them can still go, not when Angle is a cripple or Michaels is too old to work. Please, I beg of you.

I agree about putting the Rock to good use at WMXXI though they are going to have to be carefu that he faces someone who won't turn the crowd against him (unless Rock comes back as the heel).

I could just imagine The Rock vs John Cena with the entire audience booing The Rock and Michael Cole responding with "the crowd is torn."

I was looking through the pictures of the Press Conference and stumbled across this:

05.jpg

Black Power!

Sorry I had to say that. How many movie stars do you think will be at this WrestleMania...if any?

Hopefully none.

But, Vince has been trying to get Eminem, Snoop Dog, and I think Method Man to accompany/fight Cena now for a while, so who knows.

Guest M. Harry Smilac
I agree about putting the Rock to good use at WMXXI though they are going to have to be carefu that he faces someone who won't turn the crowd against him (unless Rock comes back as the heel).

I could just imagine The Rock vs John Cena with the entire audience booing The Rock and Michael Cole responding with "the crowd is torn."

This wouldn't matter though as Rock would be gone after and it would help Cena.

Flip that around the other way with the fans turning on Cena in favor of the Rock and it could be very damaging to Cena's career in the long run.

Okay, the rumours we've heard for Mania have been:

Angle/Taker for the wwe title and Orton/HHH for the world title.

However, the wwe is in the land of hollywood and in a place that has a large population of ethnic demographics.

So, looking at how the wwe can actually create a STRONG Mania card that people could care about they have this as possible scenarios.

The Rock who is an obvious draw especially in hollywood. Can anyone come up with the obvious storylines that can be used for this guy and possible match-ups that would truly be WM worthy?

John Cena who has the character of a rapper and is a rapper coming out with his own album. LA is a central focus of West Coast rap and can anyone come up with the obvious type of matches and storylines the wwe can use for this guy?

Rob Van Damn: See above.

Eddie Guerrero is another obvious guy to use because of his appeal for the large demographic he represents. The wwe could use him in obvious storylines related to LA and put him in great match scenarios.

Rey Mysterio: See above.

Hulk Hogan. Yes, I know about this being unlikely, but we have not got the retirement match from Hogan. His persona is mixed with Hollywood and from a star drawing potential I think they have a chance to milk Hogan's last match. What better place than Hollywood?

This brings me to Steve Austin and the obvious relation to the Hogan scenario above. I know about the shortcomings it brings to the other guys who bust tail all year, but I think I can accept sacrificing another boring generic Dudleyz match.

There are more things I could break down, but this is just an example. The wwe's mindset is Angle/Taker and Orton/HHH in LOS ANGELES. Yep, this makes sense!

Why should they aim their card for Los Angeles?

No matter what, its going to sell out because its WrestleMania, it'll sell out before the cards even released, it'll sell out in less than 15 minutes.

So why "aim" it towards LA?

They need it to aim towards those viewing on PPV. And give them incentive to buy the PPV. Angle-Taker and HHH-Orton they think will do that, not because its LA or whatever.

I'm not saying to make the whole card just for LA. I'm saying the wwe is going for two main event matches(if true) that I can bet the mainstream audience will probably spit back in its face. The crowds in LA are known for being "dead crowds" as well. I think the only time they were ever really hot for a Mania was number 7 and look how that show was marketed.

I'm not really looking at this from a strict smark viewpoint, but from the viewpoint in what will really sell the best. When I'm using guys like Cena/Eddie/Rock in terms of LA, I am also trying to state that these are the guys the fans will more likely get behind as faces in the arena and on television. Benoit and Jericho could also fit in there, but that is another matter in itself. They might have screwed up Orton already imo, but that could be solved with pitting him against Rock and turning heel(I swear the wwe could be doing a way better job imo building towards Mania 21). Cena is the only traditional Rumble winner goes to Mania to win the belt story they have where I believe the fans would care because he has never been in the main event scene. Orton is possible, but they have given us his title win already and possibly running the feud right now and making it have fumes before even Survivor Series.

When I'm using guys like Austin and Hogan, I'm trying to state that if the wwe wants to put two big name stars aainst each other(like the rumoured Taker/Angle match) it would likely garner more interest to have it be these two men instead of putting Angle/Taker in a title match. They can THINK Orton/HHH(which DID have potential, but I think it has been scewed up) and Angle/Taker is the way to go, but thinking and being are two different things.

There's no reason why they shouldn't do Rock/HBK at Mania.

Angle/Taker has good potential...but I guess you really have to see where things stand around November and January. I can see Austin being back by the Rumble.

There's no reason why they shouldn't do Rock/HBK at Mania.

Angle/Taker has good potential...but I guess you really have to see where things stand around November and January. I can see Austin being back by the Rumble.

Agree. HBK/Rock could work as well. Angle/Taker has potential, but I still think it is a midcard match to the common fan for a Mania event. Angle is NOT that over with the masses for the way he thinks he is and its not some kind of big money match imo. I agree around Survivor Series we should see more of the seeds being planted. Taker taking the belt off JBL is possible with Angle winning the Rumble. Orton/HHH is already in motion.