Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Playoff Preview

Discuss your picks, observations, etc.

Division Series

AMERICAN LEAGUE

New York vs. Minnesota

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Minnesota (Santana 20-6) at New York (Mussina 12-9), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Minnesota (Radke 11-8) at New York (Lieber 14-8), 7:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Friday, Oct. 8

New York (Hernandez 8-2 or Brown 10-6) at Minnesota (Silva 14-8), 8:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9

New York at Minnesota, if necessary

Sunday, Oct. 10

Minnesota at New York, if necessary

Anaheim vs. Boston

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Boston (Schilling 21-6) at Anaheim (Washburn 11-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Boston (Martinez 16-9) at Anaheim (Colon 8-12), 10:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Friday, Oct. 8

Anaheim (Escobar 11-12) at Boston (Arroyo 10-9 or Wakefield 12-10), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9

Anaheim or Minnesota at Boston, if necessary

Sunday, Oct. 10

Boston at Anaheim or Minnesota, if necessary

NATIONAL LEAGUE

St. Louis vs. Los Angeles

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Los Angeles (Perez 7-6) at St. Louis (W.Williams 11-8), 1:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Oct. 7

Los Angeles (Weaver 13-13) at St. Louis (Marquis 15-7), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Saturday, Oct. 9

St. Louis (Morris 15-10) at Los Angeles (Lima 13-5)

Sunday, Oct. 10

St. Louis (Suppan 16-9) at Los Angeles, if necessary

Monday, Oct. 11

Los Angeles at St. Louis, if necessary

Atlanta vs. Houston

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Houston (Clemens 18-4) at Atlanta (Wright 15-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Oct. 7

Houston (Oswalt 20-10) at Atlanta (Thomson 14-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9

Atlanta (Hampton 13-9) at Houston

Sunday, Oct. 10

Atlanta at Houston, if necessary

Monday, Oct. 11

Houston at Atlanta, if necessary

Guest Staravenger

Yankees in 4 games

Red Sox in 4 games

Astros in 5 games

Cardinals in 3 games

Guest Smues

I just don't have faith in Atlanta's ability to get through Oswalt and Clemens. I hope they can do it, but that's a hell of a 1 2.

St. Louis in 4

Yankees in 4

Red Sox in 5

Astros in 4

NLDS

Cardinals over Dodgers (fairly easily)

Astros over Braves (as much as it will make me puke, it will be REALLY tough to beat Clemens/Oswalt, especially since the Astros can do no wrong right now)

ALDS

Red Sox over Angels (should be a fun series)

Yankees over Twins (Santana won't win 2 games in the Stadium, which is what it will take for the Twins to win)

NLCS

Cardinals over Astros (in 6)

Yankees over Red Sox (c'mon...it's NY/Boston...we know who wins this, though the thought of this series sickens me)

World Series

Cardinals over Yankees (Yankees are too flawed to beat the Cards)

Guest Staravenger
BoSox in 3

Someone is over confident considering the Sox record vs. Anahiem is 5-4...and to show I actually researched this time...

June 1st-June 2nd:

L 7-6

L 10-7

July 15th-July 18th:

L 8-1

W 4-2

L 8-3

W 6-2

August 31st-September 2nd:

W 10-7

W 12-7

W 4-3

The series the Sox swept was during their hot period of like 18 wins in 20 games (or whatever it was). One thing is for sure: These two teams score a shit load of runs against each other.

Twins upset in 5

Red Sox in 4

Cards in 4

Braves in 5 (someone isn't going to choke)

Red Sox d. Twins in 6

Braves d. Cards in 7

Red Sox d. Braves in 5

Guest Staravenger

I was holding off until the actual series' progress, but what the hey...

AL/NLDS: (copied and pasted)

Yankees in 4 games

Red Sox in 4 games

Astros in 5 games

Cardinals in 3 games

AL/NLCS:

Yankees in 7 games

Cardinals in 6 games

World Series:

Yankees in 6 games (this is really just a coin flip guess, because I honestly don't know who would win)

Guest Anglesault

I'm also quite annoyed that the Sox are "heavy favorites" to win the AL. This team wasn't even good enough to win their own division.

Anglesault, they are heavy favorites because of their CURRENT PLAY and record after the break.

Which is better than the Yankees'.

However, the Yanks DID shut them up during the recent series.

So we shall see.

Guest Staravenger

Well don't forget they split the two series', the Yankees winning the first in September 2-1, and The Sox winning the second series 2-1.

Here's a question: Wil lthe Sox choke like last year and drop the first 2 of the ALDS, or will they actually play good before Game 3?

Guest goatfish

AL

Yankees in 4

Red Sox in 4

NL

Astros in 5

Dodgers in 5 (I have no idea why, but something about the Cards screams "First round upset!" to me).

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

exactly which coke dealer told you the Sox were "heavy favorites"?

Guest Staravenger
exactly which coke dealer told you the Sox were "heavy favorites"?

Marty Jannetty :lol:

Seriously, who DID say they were the heavy favorites besides people from Baw-stan.

I'm also quite annoyed that the Sox are "heavy favorites" to win the AL. This team wasn't even good enough to win their own division.

Not good enough to win the division isn't a strong argument. The last two World champions didn't win their division.

Yankees-3

Red Sox-4

Braves-4

Cardnials-3

The top of the Boston rotation makes them a tougher opponent in a short series. (i.e. the ALDS) However, they have such a huge mental hangup, than I don't think any impartial observer would favor them to beat the Yankees in the ALCS.

Oh, and as for my predictions:

Yankees over Twins in 5: Santana will have 2 good outings, and Radke will have one, but the Yankees will steal at least one game in the late innings, because that's what they do.

Red Sox over Angels in 4: Anaheim hasn't been that strong in October, and with Schilling and Pedro pitching, I can't see the Angels getting more than one game.

Astros over Braves in 3: Atlanta's been asleep for the last few weeks while Houston's been the hottest team in baseball. Clemens and Oswalt will each win their first postseason start, and there's no way the Astros lose game 3 at home no matter who pitches.

Cardinals over Dodgers in 4: I'm really not that impressed with LA, and while they might steal one in St. Louis, I don't see it getting them anywhere in the long run.

Yankees over Red Sox in 6: I say the Red Sox actually manage to win games 1 & 2 in New York behind Schilling and Pedro. However, after losing game three, they decide the sky is falling, and then blow a 4-0 lead in the 9th in Game 4. At that point, they basically give up, and let the Yankees roll the rest of the way.

Astros over Cardinals in 7: This should be an excellent series, as the hottest team in baseball takes on the best team in baseball, but I think in the end Clemens and Oswalt should be [/i]just enough to get the job done.

Yankees over Astros in 7: Roger Clemens will win his first two starts, and try to go out as Superman, but he'll get left in just a little too long, and touched for a grand slam as the Yankees beat the Astros 4-2 to win the World Series.

Guest Staravenger

The Braves will choke anyway, so they might as well go out early against the Astros. (waves Roger Clemens flag)

NLDS:

Cardinals over Dodgers in five

• I don't really like the Morris/Lima start, and Marquis hasn't been sharp.
Astros over Braves in four
  • Not only Clemens and Ozwalt, but potential injury concerns with Thomson and Chipper.
ALDS:

Yankees over Twins in five

• Santana takes Game one, but can't pitch ten innings in game five, where the Yankee mystique strikes again.
Angels over Red Sox in five
  • Bold Prediction: Pedro's going to cough up at least one game in this series.
NLCS:

Cardinals over Astros in seven

• Much closer than expected, as both teams will be emotionally charged for the series.
ALCS:

Yankees over Angels in six

• Sweet, sweet revenge for the Yankees, who will probably be down one or even two games at some point in this series.
World Series:

Cardinals over Yankees in six

• Both of these teams can come from behind, both of these teams have plenty of bats, and both of these teams have mediocre pitchers that could turn in a dominating a performance. The Cards have slightly better defense and, with El Duque's health concerns, I feel I'm pretty justified in being a big homer with my predictions. Still, this should be a hell of a series.

Here we go:

Braves over Astros in 4. Houston has had a great run to get to the playoffs, but if there's one thing they've never been able to do it's beat Atlanta. It's the worst possible matchup. They'd trash the Dodgers and probably take the Cardinals to 5, but the Braves seem to have their number in the postseason.

Cardinals over Dodgers in 4. Dodgers will maybe win game 3 in LA, but otherwise I don't see them having enough pitching (or hitting either) to take out St. Louis.

Red Sox over Angels in 5. This is a tough series but for some reason I can't possibly see Anaheim winning this series. And it wouldn't be the Red Sox unless it was a nerve wracking pushed to the limit series.

Twins over Yankees in 5. Someone had to have the balls to predict it. This is based on one key thing: I think Santana will win 2 games in this series for Minnesota. And I think SOMEBODY else on their staff with have a solid game (Radke maybe?).

Thus, the league series:

Cards over Braves in 6. For some reason I just can't see the Braves getting to the World Series this year. It isn't a flameout by any means but this doesn't seem like one of their absolute best teams.

Red Sox over Twins in 6. In a longer series it'll be harder for the Twins to advance. I think Santana will do well here as well, but the Sox will take the games he doesn't pitch.

And finally....

Cardinals over Red Sox in 7. Let's face it, we all know the Sox can't WIN the series, but they'll make it a thriller. Manny Ramirez will make a bonehead play in the outfield and cost them game 7, heh.

Thus, the Sox will do as much as humanly possible without achieving their major goals (beating the Yankees in the playoffs, winning the World Series).