TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Cardinals/Dodgers NLDS Thread

I take this back

THIS is the most anorexic DS thread

Probably because there aren't any Dodgers or Cards fans here (as far as I know)

And I could have gone without seeing the wacky goofy animated baseball again, hyuck hyuck

Cards are living on the edge so far tonight. This is how I expected their pitching staff to look all season. I can't believe they didn't get more than two in the inning, though.

This series is basically futile for the Dodgers. Their pitching isn't notable better and the hitting isn't nearly as good. Unless St. Louis makes a bunch of huge mistakes they should take this series fairly easy.

Another awesome game for the Cards. Only Gagne can really save the Bums at this point.

I'm surprised Milton Bradley's blow-up yesterday with an L.A. beat writer hasn't made a dent in this thread so far.

Kinda hard for Gagne to save the Dodgers when they are getting down 8-3 in the 9th inning. Kinda like how the Sox aren't letting the Angels get to their bullpen.

Kinda hard for Gagne to save the Dodgers when they are getting down 8-3 in the 9th inning. Kinda like how the Sox aren't letting the Angels get to their bullpen.

That's my point.

The Dodgers showed they could hit the long ball as well as the Cards could, but they're looking almost reliant on it at this point.

Guest Smues

Yay die blue die. 1 more St. Louis win and 1 of the 2 playoff teams I didn't want to win it all will already be gone. Huzzah.

Weaver wasn't good, but do you really expect to beat the CARDINALS with three lousy runs? Chances are, if you give up eight runs in each of the first two games, you aren't winning. But when you can't score more than three runs, you don't stand a chance.

Los Angeles basically handed the Cardinals the game last night, between Milton Bradley's hijinks in the outfield, the blown pickoff throw, the choke against Eldred with the bases loaded...seriously, we caught some huge breaks there.

And just out of curiosity - what's Marquis' stats when Matheny catches him, versus the games where Yadier Molina catches?

Los Angeles basically handed the Cardinals the game last night, between Milton Bradley's hijinks in the outfield, the blown pickoff throw, the choke against Eldred with the bases loaded...seriously, we caught some huge breaks there.

And just out of curiosity - what's Marquis' stats when Matheny catches him, versus the games where Yadier Molina catches?

Ugh. You know I'm going to have to kill you for that request. But I'll track it down.

Ok, here we go.

Without Molina

117.7 IP, 128 H, 52 ER, 43 BB, 84 K, 15 HR, 3.98 ERA, 1.95 K:BB, 6.4 K/9, 1.15 HR/9

With Molina

83.7 IP, 87 H, 31 ER, 27 BB, 54 K, 11 HR, 3.33 ERA, 2.0 K:BB, 5.8 K/9, 1.18 HR/9

His ERA is better with Molina catching, while the peripherals are nearly the same.

Watching Weaver out there last night hit batters and generally fuck up gave me a revelatory moment: Weaver is Kyle Farnsworth if he was a starter.

Let's just say if I had to start a guy in an elimination game I don't think Jose Lima would come to mind, though he is 13-5 this year.

Ok, here we go.

Without Molina

117.7 IP, 128 H, 52 ER, 43 BB, 84 K, 15 HR, 3.98 ERA, 1.95 K:BB, 6.4 K/9, 1.15 HR/9

With Molina

83.7 IP, 87 H, 31 ER, 27 BB, 54 K, 11 HR, 3.33 ERA, 2.0 K:BB, 5.8 K/9, 1.18 HR/9

His ERA is better with Molina catching, while the peripherals are nearly the same.

Just did some additional research on that - if it weren't for a couple of tough losses in September (Marquis did fairly poorly with both catchers that month), Marquis would have been 7-0 with Molina and 8-7 with Matheny...which is probably where I got the perception that Molina was the better catcher.

Though half a run in ERA certainly isn't sneezeworthy.

Guest Anglesault

I've been waiting for this day for quite some time.

That's what happens when you play the Scream Weaver.

I guess I'm going to have to continue to defend Weaver. Did he pitch well? No. Did he have a chance when his team only gave him three runs to work with? Hell no.

Had Finley come through in that bases-loaded situation, Weaver's quasi-meltdown in his final inning wouldn't have been huge.

Guest Anglesault
I guess I'm going to have to continue to defend Weaver. Did he pitch well? No.

End of discussion.

It's not like he lost a 2-1 game where he gave up two runs in eight innings.

THIS is an awful line. No two ways around it.

IP H R ER BB K HR

4.2 8 6 6 2 4 0

He's blown it again on the biggest stage. He's a disaster.