TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Did anyone catch Jon Stewart

Guest Cerebus

I finally read the transcript...my God, Stewart had a fucking stick up his ass. He says Carlson has a responsibilty to the public discourse then calls him a dick on camera and says Bob Novak doesn't deserve to be among civilized people? What an utter hypocrite.

Guest MikeSC
I finally read the transcript...my God, Stewart had a fucking stick up his ass. He says Carlson has a responsibilty to the public discourse then calls him a dick on camera and says Bob Novak doesn't deserve to be among civilized people? What an utter hypocrite.

Well, for what it's worth, his ratings have dropped 7% from last month, in spite of a best-selling book and a major TV blowjob.

-=Mike

Guest GreatOne

I'm starting to think that the 'meat' that was Stewart's argument was similar to Raven ragging on Lawler on RAW two years ago when all he was doing was saying 'You don't know anything about wrestling' over and over again.....................

I saw the clip and as a mild fan of both shows, I have to say Stewart definitely came off as a dick. I'm sick and tired of the mainstream media talking about how Stewart and the Daily Show are how people like to see their news and how they know as much as the "legit" news shows, but the legit shows question the Daily Shows content, the response is always that it's a joke show. I too think that the success has gone to Stewart's head and as the clip went on and on, I was waiting for him to at least say one mildly good point or to start talking about a relevant subject, but it never came. It pretty much is the same as the Selleck/Rosie incident, since when Stewart came on, they intended to have a light-hearted conversation with him. They didn't even go the O'Reilly route and treat the Daily Show as a second-rate joke. Once Stewart starting cutting them off and going off on how their show is what's wrong with America, Carlson and Begala couldn't do anything since the show was live.

Plus, I hadn't heard anything about the clip other than Stewart was supposed to have made Carlson his bitch, so I was expecting some awe-inspiring words from Stewart, about politics, but all I saw was a joke host of a joke show trying to make himself seem legit by verbally bullying a CNN show.

Just my opinion.

Why should Stewart be censored on a show that supposedly promotes free thinking and opposing views? Stewart pointing out the flaw is simply doing the show a favor. The ironic thing is that if Crossfire is the debate show it claims to be, why were the hosts so short on words during Stewarts tirade?

How can Stewart be a jerk, if neither of the hosts were trying to get a good debate.

The hosts try to suck up to him at first, and Stewart didn't like it.

How can I even take this show serious when it's named after a board game with an annoying commercial song?

Stewart really came off harsh, but wow was it funny.

Guest GreatOne

And don't forget, a Stevie Ray Vaughan song to boot :D

Excuse me if I still refuse to understand Stewart's 'you're doing a disservice to America' preaching.

Guest SP-1

I'm a little torn here. While Stewart could have gone about it differently, he does have a point.

Guest whitemilesdavis

Stewart had no point. At best he was being hypocritical, as pointed out by the hosts.

But still, you gotta love him jumping in there and stirring the crap. That looked hilarious on transcript, I'd love to see the footage.

Guest Cerebus

For the record, Crossfire is a lousy, stupid, and ugly show. I just find it ironic that Steart is sitting talking about public discourse while he's being an utter jackass, whether him being a jackass is "funny" or not.

Guest MikeSC
Why should Stewart be censored on a show that supposedly promotes free thinking and opposing views? Stewart pointing out the flaw is simply doing the show a favor. The ironic thing is that if Crossfire is the debate show it claims to be, why were the hosts so short on words during Stewarts tirade?

Because they were sand-bagged.

If you go on Jay Leno's show and rip on him, he'll be a little speechless, too. If somebody goes on a news show and begins simply unloading on the show --- hell, even Nightline (which, while a total joke, is still respected) would be left speechless by a good sand-bagging.

How can Stewart be a jerk, if neither of the hosts were trying to get a good debate.

The hosts try to suck up to him at first, and Stewart didn't like it.

Stewart wasn't there to debate. He was there to be funny.

Which shows they never watch his show, or they'd have invited Colbert instead.

For the record, Crossfire is a lousy, stupid, and ugly show. I just find it ironic that Steart is sitting talking about public discourse while he's being an utter jackass, whether him being a jackass is "funny" or not.

I'd liken this to O'Reilly going on Matthews' show and claiming it's just a vehicle for the host's ego. While probably true, the critic is hardly in position to make the complaint.

-=Mike

Yes, free thinking IS what americans DO try to promtoe. As long as it fits nice and snug within the boundaries of the "two party" philosophy. Anything else is perceived to be a threat. So you get responces like EGO, TIRADE, HYPOCRITE!!!

Why were they so short on words? Because when exposed for what they are all they can do is stall, hem and haw.

Stewart wasn't gonna just lay down and get ambushed on this show the way some folks have going on these types of shows. He knew full well all the stories floating around about how younger people are supposedly getting their news from the Daily Show and the "legit" press will always take offence to being undermined by a comedy show. Cutting through the bullshit has never been so much fiun. Kudos to Stewart.

Guest whitemilesdavis
He does have a point. He's a hypocrit for pointing it out, but he did have a point.

My first post was not in response to yours, we were posting at the same time. I just went back and looked, and it did look like I was trying to argue with you, but it was just coincident.

My view is that Stewart does have a point, but it is negated by the fact that he doesn't take his own advice.

Yes, free thinking IS what americans DO try to promtoe. As long as it fits nice and snug within the boundaries of the "two party" philosophy. Anything else is perceived to be a threat. So you get responces like EGO, TIRADE, HYPOCRITE!!!

I see nothing dealing with the problems in the two-party system here. In fact, Stewart is promoting one of the two candidates. I used the word HYPOCRITE! because Stewart has plenty of opportunity to do exactly what he's asking them to do. But he doesn't.

Guest SP-1

I didn't think you were attacking. But I did see a need to clarify my post anyways so it works out.

Stewart was there to debate, but the questions he was getting asked, were not worth his time. If they wanted some questions worth a debate, not some questions a 15 year old can answer. "Is John Kerry the best the Democrats can do?"

See while me and C-Bacon (who i presume lives in Canada) see the humour in politics and comedy merged into one (Royal Canadian Air Farce, This Hour Has 22 Minutes) it shows that American politicians, and political analyists have no sense of humour.

Guest MikeSC
Stewart was there to debate, but the questions he was getting asked, were not worth his time. If they wanted some questions worth a debate, not some questions a 15 year old can answer. "Is John Kerry the best the Democrats can do?"

See while me and C-Bacon (who i presume lives in Canada) see the humour in politics and comedy merged into one (Royal Canadian Air Farce, This Hour Has 22 Minutes) it shows that American politicians, and political analyists have no sense of humour.

No, it shows that when somebody goes to a show for one reason and sandbags the hosts, it can be a little awkward.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Why should Stewart answer questions, which the hosts all ready know the answers?

They didn't invite Stewart on to answer questions. They invited him on to tell a few jokes.

And, again, if they wanted somebody FUNNY from his show, Stewart would not have been my first choice.

-=Mike

Guest whitemilesdavis
Stewart was there to debate, but the questions he was getting asked, were not worth his time.

Why Stewart then? He's not a politician. He's a talk show host. On Comedy Central.

Did you ever see the Jon Stewart Show? Don't worry, noone else did either.

Regardless, the show accomplished it's goal, which was to make an event. You know how many times I have discussed Crossfire? Well, including this time, once.

Mission accomplished.

If he was on to tell a few jokes, he did, and it was about how the American media reports on major issues, and bashed the hosts.

What the hosts want, and after viewing the clip, they wanted a debate, and was hoping Stewart to say stupid things, since that's all he was known for.

See you don't have to be smart and work for CNN, now do you.

Tucker Carlson: John Stewart is "Selling Out"

NEW YORK (AP) - How's this for a feud that straddles the line between politics and entertainment: CNN's bow-tied conservative Tucker Carlson versus The Daily Show host Jon Stewart.

Carlson on Monday fanned embers still hot from their Crossfire confrontation, saying Stewart looked ridiculous during his CNN appearance and was a sellout for publicly backing Democrat John Kerry for president.

Stewart, appearing on the debate show Friday, angered Carlson by saying Crossfire is "partisan hackery" that does little to advance the cause of democracy.

And that was the mild stuff.

"You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably," Stewart said.

Responded Carlson: "You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think."

"You need to go to one," Stewart shot back.

Carlson complained that for a comedian, Stewart wasn't being very funny.

"Come on," he said. "Be funny."

"No," Stewart said. "I'm not going to be your monkey."

Carlson chided Stewart for lobbing softball questions when Kerry appeared on The Daily Show last month.

Later, Carlson told Stewart he was "more fun" on his Comedy Central show, and Stewart called him a jerk - although he used a more vulgar term.

"I thought that he looked ridiculous," Carlson said in an interview Monday, "and I think the tape makes that clear."

Carlson said Stewart continued lecturing the Crossfire crew after the show went off the air. "I wasn't offended as much as I was unimpressed," he said.

Stewart wasn't talking about the confrontation on Monday, a spokesman said. Comedy Central executive Tony Fox said there may be some regret over the vulgarity, but that Stewart has been a longtime critic of cable news networks and their political argument shows.

The comedian hasn't gone out of his way to endorse Kerry. In a public forum last week in New York, he was asked who he would vote for, and he said he'd back the Democrat.

Carlson noted that many of the great comedians kept their political opinions to themselves, not for fear of offending anyone, but because it could hurt their art.

"You're selling out," he said. "If you are a satirist or an acute social observer, and he is, and all of a sudden you suspend disbelief on someone or suck up rather than prod or poke someone, people will look at you and say, 'Even if I agree with you, I don't like it,' " he said.

Fox said The Daily Show poked fun at people in power, regardless of their party. Most people who watch Stewart are aware that he leans to the left politically.

"I don't think it really impacts the show at all," he said. "The show does what it does regardless of Jon's political persuasion."

Guest MikeSC
If he was on to tell a few jokes, he did, and it was about how the American media reports on major issues, and bashed the hosts.

What the hosts want, and after viewing the clip, they wanted a debate, and was hoping Stewart to say stupid things, since that's all he was known for.

See you don't have to be smart and work for CNN, now do you.

Unfortunately for Stewart, his show is facing a problem.

When the jokes are made solely at the expense of one side, there are 2 big problems that arise:

1) You'll lose half of your audience as nobody wants to see their side attacked relentlessly...

2) This will lead to your show becoming LESS funny because you'll simply use what works on your audience --- and if you're preaching to the choir, it won't take much for them to laugh and cheer.

Stewart's show is going to become another Bill Maher-level program. And it's a shame, since it was, once, pretty damned funny.

-=Mike