TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Shawn Michaels injured in Triple Threat Match

Guest LooneyTune

Because he found Christ (being a good person) doesn't change what he did before that. Shawn Michaels has been put over everyone on RAW, and his only PPV loss was to Orton (w/ about 20 brass knuckle shots) and to his best friend. He's been on the roster again for TWO YEARS and put over zero people clean. (Triple Threats dont count obviously)

The man known for carrying big lugs to great matches couldn't do it with Kane or Batista, had a hard time getting a good match with Christian, and has only had 1 great singles match in the last year, again with his best friend HHH, and THAT had a screw job ending.

He needs to change his gimmick, because the "Heartbreak Kid" is more like the "Crib Rocking Dad" now.

Because he found Christ (being a good person) doesn't change what he did before that

Correct. But also it doesn't mean he'll go back to his old ways today. What he did before should have no influence on what he's doing today, specially if it hasn't been reported he's doing the least bit wrond nowadays.

And I seem to remember a few more good-to-great performances from Shawn in the last year. He was terrific on last year's Survivor Series, literally making the match. Two more ****+ one on one bouts with Benoit this year, screwy finishes notwithstanding. The Kane match was probably the best on the Unforgiven card along with Trips vs Orton (altough that could be my personal taste). And this year he was out with an "injury" for a few months, so it's not like he was on all PPVs.

Anyway, fixed voting or not (I believe it wasn't), he got the World Title shot yesterday and gave a gutsy performance by all accounts, so I believe he's still got gas left in the tank.

Guest Loss

The live crowds love him, but why is it that his segments usually draw lower-than-average ratings and the PPVs he's headlined have had incredibly low buyrates? The remaining audience likes him, yeah, but the ones who stopped watching some time ago that WWE needs to work on winning back? I'm not so sure.

You pose a very valid question that requires further analysis. Live crowds love him, yet he's not a sure-fire draw. You could hear the crowds in England were on fire for him on RAW for example, and it seems he won the voting legit yesterday. I couldn't really give an answer to that, but the fact that he gives great matches to this day is undeniable and that was what I was pointing out.

His general act is tired. He's just babyface A. He pulls out extra in big time matches, and just forearm, nip up, elbow, superkicks through everything else. With nothing fresh coming off any HBK feud, there will be no draw. He is and will be over, warranting his place on the card, but being the focus of a show or putting faith in Shawn as a sole draw is foolish. I think he can draw with the right opponents (Taker, Angle, Rock, etc.), but those matches seem far from happening until around Mania.

I think the big problem with HBK is that he is not popular in the Northeast at all. Specifically Boston & New York which are the WWE's home markets.

He would fit better on Smackdown, which has a larger southern fanbase due to Eddy Guerrero being there.

I agree and have wanted him to move to SD for the last year. He could be in some incredible and new feuds that would rejuvinate his career and possible the show itself. He's not going to leave his buddies H and Flair ,though. He never will.

I think the big problem with HBK is that he is not popular in the Northeast at all. Specifically Boston & New York which are the WWE's home markets.

He would fit better on Smackdown, which has a larger southern fanbase due to Eddy Guerrero being there.

And we all remember the reaction he got at MSG for SurSer 1996.

The live crowds love him, but why is it that his segments usually draw lower-than-average ratings and the PPVs he's headlined have had incredibly low buyrates?

Because his act now is practically the same one it was in 1996, and, as was said in a recent thread, his HBK persona is a huge turn-off for the young male demographic, which makes up a significant portion of WWE's audience.

As for Shawn fitting in better on SD, with their Southern fanbase, particularly in Texas, that would be a good idea. The problem is, the reaction he gets would see him pushed as the top face on SD, and that presents the same problem as his big push on Raw; he doesn't put people over, either by design or due to incompetence with the booking. For whatever reason, maybe due to a fear on the part of Shawn or Vince over damaging HBK's overness, HBK doesn't put people over, at least not clean-as-a-sheet in the middle, which is ultimately how you're meant to do it.

Guest LooneyTune

Turn. Him. Heel.

I like Shawn Michaels (as a wrestler), but as a babyface, he's just too stale and boring and I usually turn off his promos and interview segments. Turn him heel, make him an asshole, do something with him besides being the battle for truth, justice, and the american way. I'm not saying reform D-X though (God help us if he AND HHH were all over RAW). Or just send him to Smackdown where they are in need of fresh meat.

Actually it was reported that Paul Heyman suggested trading Benoit for Kurt Angle so they could build to Taker vs Benoit and Angle vs Michaels for WMXXI, but the idea was nixed. Still, inter-promotional matches could still (and probably will) take place at Mania so I can only dream, as Angle vs HBK is one of my dream matches I'm dying to see.