TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Pride 28

Just watched the show (had to wait for the tape to arrive from home). Good show but nothing too spectacular.

Silva/Rampage was excellent, and at the end of the first round I thought Rampage had a chance. Oh well. The knockout with the knees and the blood spurting out as he collapsed into the ropes was an awesome sight. So where does Jackson go from here? He's gotten his shot twice, and couldn't do it. Also, for all your talk about the godly match up of Couture/Silva, what are the chances of it actually happening? Would it happen on a UFC show or a Pride show? The first ever joint show? In a cage or ring? Too much questions.

What exactly happened in Cro Crop/Barnett? I know his shoulder became dislocated, but HOW? He was in a guard and then just started tapping. WTF?

Hendo/Naku was less of a fluke. For the short time it lasted it was WILD. Dan's crazy twisting neck takedown thing was wild (in fact I think the jarring motion and odd landing, contributed to Naku's injury). From there it was just knees that finished him (a lot of knees on this show, weren't there?)

Bobish was impressive in his dominance (and yes, I caught the CRIPPLER CROSSFACE~!!! by Bobish), but Hunt caught him with a good shot. What was up with Hunt's weight? I don't remember him being that big, he looked totally out of shape for the fight.

Thomson/Alexandre was one of the funniest fights I've ever seen. Especially the polar opposite reactions. Thomson looked like Heidenreich or something, while Alexandre looked like he wanted to take a nap or eat a sandwhich or something. Which made it all the more funnier when Alex got up from the knockdown and knocked him out.

Overheem obviously came in tremendous shape, and obviously loves to throw flying knees, and was even Sakuraba like with some of those stomps. He needs to finish quicker though. That Japanese dude needs to just call it a day.

Well I guess, the Russian top team isn't always going to crack out winners. Arona was an asshole though, not releasing that choke.

Heath Herring, per usual, is absolutely dominating in a match that doesn't mean much, and in which he's favored, but he never seems to deliver in big matches. Nice knees though (again with the knees!). Kind of funny to see the ref stop the fight, decide Yokoi hasn't had enough and then restarts it for Heath to finish him.

Rulon Gardner is a big sigining obviously. What are his chances for success in Pride? Is he well rounded enough to be able to strike and defend against submissions? I wonder if it will bring Pride some publicity for the show. I just realized Yoshida took Silva to the distance and nearly beat him, so I don't know if Gardner knows what he's getting into.

Oh, and I didn't miss the extended intros. I want to see more action, not 20 minutes of guys beating drums and people running around in dragon masks and such.

PRIDE has announced four matches for their NYE show:

Mirko/Hunt

Nog/Fyodor (obviously)

Hidehiko/Gardner(another one we knew all about)

Tamura/Sakuraba

Couture and Silva will likely never fight.

Arona has said that he thought the other guy was biting him, so out of sheer pissed offedness he locked that thing in for a little longer. It's also why he didn't look happy afterwards and rather gave the guy a menacing look.

Mirko should be able to beat Hunt. If Mirko can get Hunt on the ground, I don't see this lasting long. Hunt of course won't be KO'd, but I can see a TKO finish.

I'm picking Fedor again, because he is unstoppable until proven otherwise.

Yoshida should be able to finish Rulon fairly quickly.

Sakuraba is JUST that much better than Tamura in each category. I see the striking in Sak's advantage for sure, and that should be the deciding factor, though not necessarily the finish.

I can see Couture and Silva fighting in the near future. When Couture's contract with UFC runs out, I can see Pride throwing big bucks his way. In the ring Silva should take it and, I dare say, may even dominate. Couture's record in the ring is fairly spotty, with boring decision victories and losses to Enson Inoue and Valentijn Overeem, who, while great fighters, aren't really in the A class level in MMA.

Guest Deft

That is major weaksauce. I was expecting a few months but 6? Fedor/Nog, the Feb. title match, and the MW Grand Prix better make up for this. Poor Josh.

Guest CurryMan

I don´t post that often so I understand if no one is willing to bet but I would be willing to bet that Fedor losses against Noguera.

I don´t post that often so I understand if no one is willing to bet but I would be willing to bet that Fedor losses against Noguera.

I'll take your bet noob!

I assume avatars are on the line?

Guest CurryMan

Bah Nogueira was going to bet him last time if Fedor wouldn´t chickend out and said his head hurted.

(Oh btw how do you change your nick around here?)